advertisement

Collection of vintage DACs increases…

Do you have a favourite vintage dac chip and you hunt out different dacs containing them to see how they differ? Or is it just me?? .. ;)

Do you have a favourite vintage dac chip and you hunt out different dacs containing them to see how they differ? Or is it just me?? .. ;)

I initially thought DAC tech was moving forward so fast that vintage stuff was just rubbish but then similar to CD players I had a few shocks when actually listening to them (my preferred CDP is a heavily modified Naim CDI - TDA1541A-S2). First I had a Pioneer N-50 streamer, sounded much better using digi out and Rega DAC-R, then a Chinese TDA1541 DAC beat the Rega, then a really old Camelot Arthur beat that…then a Micromega Duo brick DAC beat that (all to my ears of course). A few weeks ago I got my first Wadia Digimaster X-32 - after servicing it has me questioning everything.

to be honest, I’m not expecting much from the P3a, but it was cheap enough for me to listen and resell at a profit :) The X-32 we’ll see - maybe a perfect control if I decide to try and modify the other one I have (assuming I can fix it!).

so no, it’s not only you :D

I think I have a preference for fhe TDA5141a dacs but haven't managed to get one and hold on to it. I had an original Arcam Black Box but sold it without doing any upgrades. A mistake I feel, in retrospect.

I have acquired a very unusual and rare vintage dac. Made by now-defunct US manufacturer Altis, the DAP Reference Bitstream is the best vintage dac I have yet heard. Costing a cool $3000 in 1992, it has a large external power supply and dual differential design. I took it to a friend's house for a listen. He sold his Rega Dac-R shortly thereafter! He then picked up a Monarchy Audio 18B, but this too is not as good as the Altis:

My DAC is from 1990 and ousted a £3.6k Bryston in my system. It was $10k when launched.

49563952806_b41015f6dc_b.jpg

51711830792_f87fa03842_b.jpg

I've seen that mighty thing before Geoff. I recall you mentioning it previously. Build quality is insane.

Technics built some amazing gear (and currently still do).

There was a Sony DAS-R1 for sale recently, I wonder how that compares.

Phwoar - vintage DACs :)

My Micromega Duo is currently TDA1541 - I want to completely rebuild and fit a TDA-1541A-S1 :) For my sins though, I am also finalising the BOM for an AYA 5 DIY DAC - latest tech NOS TDA1541A DAC.

I really need to try a TDA1541A DAC at some point. Never owned one or even spent any real time with one. I started with Bitstream (RCD965BX & later CD17KI) and then to a CDX, and from there via a few steps to where I am now with a DPA PDM3. I do fancy landing a nice vintage Sony ES player at some point, so that’s probably the trajectory to try one.

Not a DAC but another vintage bit of digital kit worth trying is the Genesis Digital Lens which goes between the transport and dac.

genesis_digital_lens_2.jpg

Had one about 20 years ago and it made a significant improvement. Been looking for another for the last few years but prices have gone mad.

I’m a big fan of 1541 players. The Quad 66 and Arcam 70.2 have Single Crown chips.

One of my CDIs has dual crown tda1541a - my other came with an R1 version and was transformed by a single crown. I’ve only one spare S1 left now though, plus a later Taiwan chip said to be of same quality (not tried it yet!)

Card-carrying vintage DAC user here, too.

Theta DS Pro Basic (AD1860)
Monarchy M22 (PCM1863)
Musical Fidelity Digilog (1541 crown)
Micromega Duo BS (1545)

Somewhat new, but with old tech:
Lite DAC-AH (8x 1543)
Border Patrol DAC SE (again with 1543)

I do have a newer Bryston BDA-1 and a Schiit DAC but seriously, they get the least amount of play. Also have some 1540 CD players (Marantz CD74, B&O CD-X). I find that with these older DACs, I get a deeper sound, more involving, maybe less obviously resolute, but nonetheless, everything’s there but with a little extra that makes you listen more.

In fact, even with say, the lowly Lite DAC streaming WBGO New Jersey into a 2A3 SET / MM de Capo-i’s combo, I’m hard pressed to say I would want more, sometimes can’t even bother to play vinyl.

never tried a 1541A stand alone dac, but I must have a thing for that chip Rotel 955, Naim CD3, Sony 337esd kind of gives the game away haha

Cough, AD1862, cough :)

I have a Mission Cyrus Dacmaster (AD1862) and an Arcam Delta Black Box v.1 (TDA1541A), both with modded digital front end based on DIR9001+PMD100, and compared them to Philips CD304MK2 (TDA1541 non-A) and CD303 (TDA1540) and my Naim CDS3 (PMD200+PCM1704). The Naim wins by far, nevertheless the others are nice pieces of kit with good sound.

A very simple TDA1543 based non-oversampling DAC with passive IV impressed me recently...

Speaking of the 1543, does anyone know where I might be able to get my little SPS3 dac repaired? Has distorted output on 1 channel.
I think sometime in the past I opened it and one of the larger smd caps measured quite differently to the other. But really, I have no idea.

advertisement

Back