advertisement

Collection of vintage DACs increases…

Speaking of the 1543, does anyone know where I might be able to get my little SPS3 dac repaired? Has distorted output on 1 channel.
I think sometime in the past I opened it and one of the larger smd caps measured quite differently to the other. But really, I have no idea.

I don't find anything online for this DAC, you have more details? Happy to take a look at it if you can get it to me in Swissieland :)

Richard

Card-carrying vintage DAC user here, too.

Theta DS Pro Basic (AD1860)
Monarchy M22 (PCM1863)
Musical Fidelity Digilog (1541 crown)
Micromega Duo BS (1545)

Somewhat new, but with old tech:
Lite DAC-AH (8x 1543)
Border Patrol DAC SE (again with 1543)

I do have a newer Bryston BDA-1 and a Schiit DAC but seriously, they get the least amount of play. Also have some 1540 CD players (Marantz CD74, B&O CD-X). I find that with these older DACs, I get a deeper sound, more involving, maybe less obviously resolute, but nonetheless, everything’s there but with a little extra that makes you listen more.

In fact, even with say, the lowly Lite DAC streaming WBGO New Jersey into a 2A3 SET / MM de Capo-i’s combo, I’m hard pressed to say I would want more, sometimes can’t even bother to play vinyl.
Didn't think the Digilog had a crown chip unless you've upgraded it?

Sorry, time has clouded my memory. It’s 1541A, not the crown version. Sounds great, nonetheless.

Speaking of the 1543, does anyone know where I might be able to get my little SPS3 dac repaired? Has distorted output on 1 channel.
I think sometime in the past I opened it and one of the larger smd caps measured quite differently to the other. But really, I have no idea.

Don't go near the 1543 it’s a budget chip and sounds it, distortion is about 20dB worse then the 1541A.

Don't go near the 1543 it’s a budget chip and sounds it, distortion is about 20dB worse then the 1541A.

Really? I’ve not a back-back comparison yet, that will come, but trying my Sugden Optima (normally used as a transport due to quality of components) through its 1543 based audio output was a surprise. I’d written it off due to poor reputation of the DAC, but was really surprised how good it sounded.

I need to put my modified CDI back into system soon and try some proper comparisons.

My favorite Dac is an old Dacmagic... Dual Philips TDA1305 hybrid DACs. Three separate transformers feeding 19 independent power supplies...it sounds very different than my more modern dacs, less uptight more relaxed natural in it's presentation, im not sure if that slight distortion playing it's part, but its very enjoyable.

My favorite Dac is an old Dacmagic... Dual Philips TDA1305 hybrid DACs. Three separate transformers feeding 19 independent power supplies...it sounds very different than my more modern dacs, less uptight more relaxed natural in it's presentation, im not sure if that slight distortion playing it's part, but its very enjoyable.

Micromega Stage 2, 3, 5 & 6 CDPs also have a very well implemented dual 1305 DAC stages :)

The TDA1305 is a lot better than the 1543 and measures only slightly worse on distortion than the 1541A, the differential mode obviously gives even better performance.

This is what JW himself had to say about the TDA1305 and in the Dacmagic:

Unfortunately, the designs biggest weakness is the TDA1315 – the SPDIF input receiver. The TDA1315 has very poor jitter performance – despite claims otherwise from Philips, by the time this was realised; the front panels and casework had already been manufactured (the front panel has LED’s for sampling rate and copy protection). Changing the design to the better performing CS8412 was not an option, as the CS8412 has no direct method to drive the front panel sampling rate LED’s – and the budget was already very limited (original retail price was £149).

If possible, modifying the unit to “clock-lock” with the transport will bring enormous improvements – then the quality of the Dac becomes the limiting factor.

The first pre-production version of the design used Burr Brown devices (I seem to recall the PCM1710), I much preferred the sound of these DAC’s over the TDA1305’s, however the Burr brown DAC’s had a STUPID design fault that prevented them being used in dual differential mode.

The Burr Brown devices internal mute circuit was designed to detect all zeros – and not “change of data”. During “Mute” in dual differential mode, one Dac receives “all zeros” – and the second Dac “all ones”. This meant one side would go into Mute – while the other side still operated – resulting in DC offset on the outputs during “Mute”. As a result was that I was forced into using the TDA1305 as there where no other good performing “budget” DAC’s on the market at the time. Still many liked the sound of the TDA1305 – but Naim using it their CD3.5 is really stretching it way too far – these are BUDGET DAC’s – limited by there internal digital filtering. They have a very muddled Bass heavy sound, with poor sound stage – possibly, why Naim selected them?

My best DAC design for Cambridge Audio was the HDCD ISOmagic – if you can get hold of one, then it’s a unit worthy of modifications!

If you have an ISOmagic or CD4SE - don't let go of them - or you will find yourself regretting it later - just ask those who have...

A Micromega Dac1 based on 2 x tda1305 arrived here recently, on Monday to be correct. It sounds very enjoyable. I'll take lid off and post some photos later.

The Micromega Dac1 sounds great. Real, engaging and all that.

cD28BuG.jpg

THM5bfG.jpg

Another nice Micromega implementation! And the xers have the specs on them, many didn’t (and they were a weak point with buzzing and failing, although I’ve never had an issue).

Another nice Micromega implementation! And the xers have the specs on them, many didn’t (and they were a weak point with buzzing and failing, although I’ve never had an issue).

Thanks, good to know! I have plans to replace the larger psu-caps. At my diy level it is challenging enough to dismantle the pcb and solder capacitors. For now i enjoy as is :)

Thanks, good to know! I have plans to replace the larger psu-caps. At my diy level it is challenging enough to dismantle the pcb and solder capacitors. For now i enjoy as is :)

With help of others here I reverse engineered a Stage 3 & 5 Micromega dual TDA1305 inplementation (post somewhere in DIY) - apart from making sure caps are OK, there really is very little to be done to improve it. In the stage 3 I kept, I just fitted a better clock to it.

With help of others here I reverse engineered a Stage 3 & 5 Micromega dual TDA1305 inplementation (post somewhere in DIY) - apart from making sure caps are OK, there really is very little to be done to improve it. In the stage 3 I kept, I just fitted a better clock to it.

I know your thread about the Micromega players well,- Your projects supplemented with photos are really good. And a good idea for me to ask for help here when I replace the capacitors in Dac1, yes.

One of the nicest sounding DACs I’ve ever owned was an audio alchemy dde 1.1 with the upgraded power supply. Old hat when it died about 10 years ago and limited to 16/44.1, but a lovely thing. Think I bought it from @a.palfreyman but may be mistaken.

One of the nicest sounding DACs I’ve ever owned was an audio alchemy dde 1.1 with the upgraded power supply. Old hat when it died about 10 years ago and limited to 16/44.1, but a lovely thing. Think I bought it from @a.palfreyman but may be mistaken.

The transport was dreadful though. It occupies one of the top spots in my personal 'hall of shame' for the worst bits of equipment I have ever encountered!

Not me I'm afraid. You bought my Royd Sintras from me. I had an original dde, but eventually trashed the circuit boards playing with capacitors!

A Micromega Dac1 based on 2 x tda1305 arrived here recently, on Monday to be correct. It sounds very enjoyable. I'll take lid off and post some photos later.

Nice to see a manufacturer understanding the importance of seperate transformers or windings for different DAC sections. I think this is one of the reasons my Theta DAC, and Audial DAC, sound so engaging.

advertisement

Back