advertisement

Coldplay - X&Y

Coldplay's music bears no resemblance whatsoever to Radiohead's. I'm actually mildly offended on Radiohead's behalf

I can see why some would say there is a similarity and others not, but the music press has heralded Coldplay as taking over from Radiohead, so comparisons are drawn.

IMHO there is nothing in the Coldplay catalog that holds a candle to "The Bends" or "OK Computer". Radiohead have disintegrated into wierdness, but there are still some moments of brilliance on their latest albums. I've searched Coldplay albums for moments of brilliance, but Ive yet to find any.

I don't hate Coldplay, and I find much of their music quite enjoyable, I just think they are overrated and overmarketed.

Ahhh yes, the hey day of Corporate Rockers...

P08721K3GV2.jpg

e082743h3u3.jpg

neither The Stones or Floyd have done anything remotely worth listening to since about 1973 (Bowie just about makes it to 1980).

That's a little harsh - I reckon Some Girls deserves mention!

Rico

What does the album actually sound like Rico? Now that's had a few listens I guess?

Jay

Originally posted by Tony L
I believe some members of Coldplay actually used the share dip to make some money themselves by buying shares in EMI and then selling after their LP came out. They are just so rock 'n' roll. A real band with attitude.

Tony.

Hmmm, that sounds like easy money. I s'pose making easy money is something you would never consider Tony.;)

Originally posted by Rico
e082743h3u3.jpg

That record's been staring at me for weeks; my housemate's had it leaning against the record rack by the left speaker for weeks now. Such a simple, yet great cover concept. Dunno what the music's like as I've not heard it yet!

Originally posted by Tony L ]Jazz is another exception – many of the greats produced their best work around 10-15 years into their career; Mingus, Monk, Davis, Coltrane etc. Most rock bands are completely burnt out within 5 years IMHO.

Tony. [/B][/QUOTE]

I think with most rock/pop bands they live in crappy inner cities and have a strong passion for there struggles.
By the 2nd or 3rd album there living in the suburbs and its harder for them to get passionate about dining at clubs and wine thats really not chilled enough.

Same as politicians....They should only be given minimal wage til there out of office and made to live in inner city areas then you see things change.

In this respect politics and music are very simular both are at there best when poverty is your starting point.

tom.

Re Computer Love / Talk: I read somewhere that the members of Coldplay didn't think their version was good enough, were concerned when their record company wanted to release it as a single, and therefore decided to transform it into a new piece. I can't help feeling well-disposed towards Coldplay for that, although I have only a vague idea of what their music sounds like...

He can't help it you know.
Chris Martin on Jules tonight
"I ride a horse, still don't own a car, and sleep on straw..."

Pretentious twat!!!

Bob

Bugger! I went on a rare CD-splurging 'spree' yesterday and the new Coldplay album was one of the albums I bought. After reading this thread I am rapidly regretting what looks like a waste of precious funds on this album.

Saw them on Jools Holland the other night and I must admit they did make me think of Radiohead, more of a Radiohead-lite though.

And why does Chris Martin feel the need to sing kneeled down in that crunch position??

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by JonR
After reading this thread I am rapidly regretting what looks like a waste of precious funds on this album.

Any reason why you can't make up your own mind after listening to the album?

Originally posted by domfjbrownThat record's been staring at me for weeks; my housemate's had it leaning against the record rack by the left speaker for weeks now. Such a simple, yet great cover concept. Dunno what the music's like as I've not heard it yet!

Don't know what that ones like.
Saw the tubes in 1978 with wire as support.
They brought out a double album from that show
live at hammersmith.
Still one one of the best live gigs i've seen.
Remote control album was one of my favourites.
Best single imo White punks on dope.

tom

Originally posted by jay
Any reason why you can't make up your own mind after listening to the album?

Nope - I just wish I'd read this thread before I had gone and bought the album!

Originally posted by JonR
Nope - I just wish I'd read this thread before I had gone and bought the album!

In that case don't buy the new Foo Fighters or Interpol albums. You won't like those either ;)

I quite like the new album, its not brill but I have purchased worse than this.
I think its more than acceptable....

I'll get me coat...:p

Jay, I've been distracted by Moby's Hotel, which in contrast to the x&y is a grower.

more later

Rico

Originally posted by Rico
Jay, I've been distracted by Moby's Hotel

Coldplay and Moby, hmmm... What next- Dido and David Gray? ;-)

PS- I admit that I bought a very horrible Annie "Anniemal" CD yesterday based upon reviews by a now untrusted source. Pimply prepubescent teen girls and/or metropolitan gay men at the bath house loving the stuff came to mind.

I presume the CD of X&Y is copy-protected, like the last one?

One more reason not to buy their drivel.

advertisement

Back