advertisement

Coldplay - X&Y

No, but it's been played to death everywhere, I must have heard at least half of it the last time I went record shopping.

-- Ian

I've had the pleasure of hearing their current single on the radio. It's the same, only somehow worse. They've topped their previous crapness, IYSWIM.

I think that the best solution is to try and get a free listen to the album, either by requesting one in your local record shop, or perhaps some of the online retailers, Coldplays website , etc, will let you have a listen to a sample of the album ( Amazon normally provides this facility).

If you then decide that you neither like the band , or their music then simply don't buy it, and don't waste any of your time discussing the matter further, instead use it more constructively to tell everybody about bands and music that you really do rate and really do like, so that other like minded folk have an alternative avenue of music to consider and add to their ' To listen to' lists.

I am aware that some folk just simply love to bitch, moan and argue just for sheer hell and delight of it......often it's very funny, more often it's boring, tiresome, and pointless , just like Coldplays new album , eh ? - ( beat you to it .... ;) ).

just across my desk..... corporate music...

Sales results of the 3rd Coldplay album have been anxiously anticipated and the
result so far appears positive so this should provide some further momentum to
EMI's shares --the shares have outperformed the ftse since early May (Warner
Music conversely is down slightly from its May 10th IPO price). While our long
term rating on the bonds is HOLD, investors should consider selling EMI CDS to
capture the current positive skew on the Xover index. EMI's near term headline
risk appears positive (after the neg news baked into the Feb profit warning)
With fiscal Y/E reporting just completed operating/financial news should be
minimal in coming months (they report bi-annually).

June 15 (Bloomberg) -- ``X&Y,'' the new album by Coldplay for
EMI Group Plc, sold more than 737,000 copies in its first week in
the U.S. to debut at number one on the U.S. album chart.
```X&Y' is the first album by a British act to be number one
simultaneously in the U.S. and the U.K. for almost five years,''
since the Beatles's ``1'' album of top hits in November 2000, EMI
said today in an e-mailed statement. The album is in the top spot
in 22 countries so far, the statement said.
EMI, the world's third-largest music company, said the first-
week U.S. sales make ``X&Y'' the ``highest-selling rock debut of
2005.''
The album, the third by Coldplay, debuted at number one on
the U.K. album chart on Sunday night, with first-week British
sales of more than 464,000. Coldplay was slated to begin its world
tour today in Hamburg, EMI said.

I believe some members of Coldplay actually used the share dip to make some money themselves by buying shares in EMI and then selling after their LP came out. They are just so rock 'n' roll. A real band with attitude.

Tony.

Originally posted by Tony L
I believe some members of Coldplay actually used the share dip to make some money themselves by buying shares in EMI and then selling after their LP came out. They are just so rock 'n' roll. A real band with attitude.

Tony.

Wow. Is this cynicism or sour grapes? Surely they aren't the first band to make some bank this way - I bet the Stones and Floyd were doing it years ago. Heck, Bowie even sold stock in himself ("Bowie Bonds"). Now that's rock-n-roll attitude.:rolleyes:

Surely they aren't the first band to make some bank this way - I bet the Stones and Floyd were doing it years ago. Heck, Bowie even sold stock in himself ("Bowie Bonds").

It might well be a good barometer of a band ‘going off’ – neither The Stones or Floyd have done anything remotely worth listening to since about 1973 (Bowie just about makes it to 1980). I bet they weren’t fiddling about with stocks and shares whilst they were still able to produce good music. All are now stagnant corporate rock of the very worst kind, and it looks like Coldplay want to join them with just three albums under their belt!

Tony.

Originally posted by Tony L
It might well be a good barometer of a band ‘going off’

Ah. Likely there's something to this. Innovation is largely (though not exclusively) a young person's game – in math and science at least, most of the really original work occurs before the age of 33.

:(

I'm over the hill then.

So that's 'professional footballer' and 'international rock star' crossed off my list of potential new careers.

Even worse than Coldplayers buying EMI stock:

EMI organizes focus groups to determine what should be on Coldplay records.

I think there should be more Radiohead performances on Coldplay albums.

A guy over on Audiogon described Coldplay as "Radiohead light".

I thought that summed it up perfectly.

I bought RadioHead OK Computer on 180g vinyl , and it has sat in the cupboard for a year , with all but one track unplayed until tonight.
I'm breaking in a Goldring 1042, and stuck this on for a listen.
I have no prior exposure ( 1 track ! ) to RadioHead, and yet the similarity to ColdPlay hit me straight away. My only exposure to commercial radio is shopping malls.
Well, I guess in the '70's if you were going to slash your wrists, it was Leonard Cohen or bust! Now you have choice. :rolleyes:

Coldplay's music bears no resemblance whatsoever to Radiohead's. I'm actually mildly offended on Radiohead's behalf.

Originally posted by kasperhauser
Innovation is largely (though not exclusively) a young person's game – in math and science at least, most of the really original work occurs before the age of 33.

In general, I'd agree. I'm curious as to why classical music seems to be an exception to this. Saw Handel's Jephtha last night (very interesting production and well-sung...this forum needs a live music thread...) fantastic music composed by a 67 years old. Beethoven only made it to 57, but his last works were some of the most ground-breaking music ever composed. Verdi wrote his first comedy, Falstaff, aged 80 (it was worth the wait!). I saw Michael Tippett, aged 90ish, take applause for a fine new work at the Proms a few years back, sporting a pair of psychedelic surfers trousers. Bruckner's first symphony was started in his 40s. Janacek didn't really get going until he was 62...

In general, I'd agree. I'm curious as to why classical music seems to be an exception to this.

Jazz is another exception – many of the greats produced their best work around 10-15 years into their career; Mingus, Monk, Davis, Coltrane etc. Most rock bands are completely burnt out within 5 years IMHO.

Tony.

Someone tells me that 'Talk' from X and Y lifts its melody from Kraftwerk's 'Computerlove'. (I don't personally know either track well enogh to comment)

advertisement

Back