advertisement

Coldplay - X&Y

Rico

Bloody Colonials
Hmmm. Bought this on Saturday, hadn't heard any of it, or read reviews. Only saw some blip on TV about EMI's share price dropping when they announced the alb wouldn't be released before the end of their FY...

Perhaps it's a grower. It lacks any of the punch of the previous 2 albums, his whining is starting to get on my nerves, and on some tracks they sound like U2... on a bad day. I'll give it five more plays and if it doesn't start to impress I'll consign it to online auction.

Anyone else?

Pretty disappointed given my current scarcity of funds to divert to music purchases with a second mouth to feed.

Rico - not giving up his day job for a career as a music critic. :cool:

Similarly my first thoughts on hearing it were that they are entering their U2 phase.

Bob

I'm slightly disappointed, definately lacking a bit of punch, bite and attitude. A Rush of Blood to the head is one of my favorite recent albums, despite what other folk think of Coldplay, I mean we can't all like the same music can we.

From a Hi-Fi sound quality point of view i think that my X & Y double vinyl LP is brilliant, really very happy with the whole package which just oozes quality from all aspects, (sound quality, materials, etc ).

I've only listened to it twice so far, so maybe it will grow on me too.

I totally agree about the U2 angle too , BTW. At least the first 3 tracks could easily be mistaken for U2, the similarity is uncanny, did Bono and the boys make guest appearances on.........all of the tracks :) .

The new Oasis LP is growing on me all the time, and again it is all good quality 180g vinyl, decent full colour inner and outer sleeves etc. If only Vinyl had always been such good quality......

Chris whatsit hero-worships Bono and is going to help him to save the world.

Instead of laughing, we should be grateful, really.

I watched Top of the Pops last week, for the first time in ages. I notice that Coldplay's single, which went in at no. 2 in the charts the week before, dropped to no. 7, but Crazy Frog was still at no. 1.

You'd have to have a heart of stone not to laugh.

-- Ian

I think it's bombastic, pompous and dreary. Middle of the road rock with delusions of its own significance and quality. My parents generation had Perry Como or Bill Hailey, we have Coldplay and Dido. The singer is also embarrassing to watch perform live: dreadful.

I hope I never have to hear it...;)

Kevin

My 14 year-old daughter claims it's "even happier than their second one", which she felt was happier than the first one. She likes happy, so thus far it's her favorite Coldplay cd. I expect she's secretly hoping they'll eventually become Third Eye Blind. Which may not be a bad thing.

I haven't heard it yet, but I like the depressing first album best of the two I've heard, so my hopes aren't high.

It's cack, utter cack.

The sort of CD that supermarket CD sales are made for. Bought by the unimaginative public, the sorts of people who might by one CD a month and can't think what to get.

Meritless, self-important, holier-than-thou garbage. I thought the first two albums were bad, but this takes the sodding biscuit.

I'd rather fill my ears with molten turd than listen to it again.

Originally posted by ErikL
Very well said IMO:

Aren't such delusions a hallmark (or occupational hazard) of art, or more correctly, artists, in general? Remains down to the individual to either buy the artist's hype (and art) or not.

"...what sounds to you like a big load of trashy old noise is, in fact, the brilliant music of a genius... myself..." Iggy Pop, 1977

Originally posted by alexgerrard
Bought by the unimaginative public, the sorts of people who might by one CD a month and can't think what to get.

And I'll thank you to not typecast my daughter this way. :) She's quite imaginative, and she knows what she likes (her tastes run from the Andrews Sisters to Mogwai, touching on the likes of early Sabbath and Joe Jackson along the way).

(BTW, no genuine offense taken. Just pointing out that there may be people who aren't brain-dead who still genuinely enjoy Coldplay's music.)

Quite the opposite- it seems quite cool to like it, given the amount of radio play, volume of record sales, MTV airtime, concert ticket sales, etc.

Originally posted by ErikL
Quite the opposite- it seems quite cool to like it, given the amount of radio play, volume of record sales, MTV airtime, concert ticket sales, etc.

That's popular, not cool ;)

advertisement

Back