advertisement

Codeine.

The most spacey I've been though was some Co Proxamol I got from a relative in the early 2000s,

It was withdrawn in 2007. If I'm not mistaken, it used to be called Distalgesic. I used it in the 1960s and noticed no side effects.

The codeine market is vast, as is the misuse component. In fact I’d go as far as to say it’s driven by the misuse segment. Over the counter sales have been banned in most countries except for Britain.

They use controlled prescription only like Tramadol and morhine, but different rules about opiates is something you should always keep in mind if going on holiday anywhere in SE Asia. Only this week a couple were charged with trafficking cannabis here with a mandatory death penalty if convicted.

Thanks David and yes. I had a rather nasty recurrent tooth abscess just before a trip to Mexico. The Mexican authorities are pretty hot in imported drugs such as Opiates, so the clinician who treated me gave me two lots of Antibiotics, plus 30/500 Co/Codamol..and a properly stamped letter on official notepaper, explaining why I had those drugs. I also had copies of my prescriptions for my regular Cardio meds.

In the event, the guy at Immigration ignored everything, and the guy at departure was only interested in a bottle of Sunscreen which I had accidentally left in my hand luggage, surrounded by pills....

As for Cannabis. There's a UK Football coach facing a 25 year gaol sentence in, I think, Dubai or somewhere close, for possesing CBD, which is not a psycho active drug... I would be mightily annoyed if he is convicted, because it would demonstrate dogma over common sense, but he's a bit dumb for not checking if it is acceptable there.

The codeine market is vast, as is the misuse component. In fact I’d go as far as to say it’s driven by the misuse segment. Over the counter sales have been banned in most countries except for Britain.

But it is only the 8/500 which is available OTC here. I think that the thinking is you'd have to kill yourself with paracetamol to get a serious high from 8mg of Codeine.

I recall buyng a bottle of Codeine 30 Mg tabs when about 15, to deal with tooth pain while awaiting a dentists appt. Things have changed.

I do think there's a debate to be had about whether it is better that a few idiots abuse prescription drugs, as opposed to getting into Spice/Crack etc..etc..

one BIG mistake here mull

you should NEVER progress to more power pain killers till you have taken the correct dose of the lower one . in this case 2 paracetamol 4 times a day 6hourly every day . this does not normally have the very bad constipating effects of codeine and means the levels of paracetamol are maintained in your system

Tick.

Regular pain requires regular painkillers.
@hifinutt is correct.
A two week+ trial of full dose paracetamol is a good basis for assessing long term pain control.
No constipating effect at all.
No interaction with alcohol.

Even if that only helps with 30% of the pain, it is something that can be built upon with the addition of other agents.

Thank you gentlemen. I've had the recommendation for 'full dose' Paracetamol before. Even though it has no interaction with alcohol.. I believe it is true that both Paracetamol and Alcohol 'insult' the Liver. I've been a regular drinker all my life.. (I can do without if I must).. though my Liver Function tests always come back OK.. but I just find the thought of that amount of paracetamol scary.

The other thing is that the pain varies. It is always there... Generally speaking, it is directly proportional to the amount of time I spend standing and walking, but it is also present when I'm in bed and it will be there when I get out of this computer chair... for a minute or so until I'm standing.. Then it will ease. Till the next time.
I'll try more paracetamol.

The Mexican authorities are pretty hot in imported drugs such as Opiates, so the clinician who treated me gave me two lots of Antibiotics, plus 30/500 Co/Codamol..and a properly stamped letter on official notepaper, explaining why I had those drugs. I also had copies of my prescriptions for my regular Cardio meds.
Wise to do this. Singapore is the strictest and executes nearly all they catch.

Well David, you won't be surprised to hear that I find such executions barbaric, whatever the circumstances. There are far too many imponderables to make that a 'just' system.

Wise to do this. Singapore is the strictest and executes nearly all they catch.

Only if you have more than:
Heroin 15gm
Morphine 250gm
Opium 1.2kg
etc
And since 2013 prison sentence if you can prove you are a courier or mentally ill.
If anyone deserves a death penalty large scale hard drug pushers do.
I don't know how they get the figures but for drugs such as those above a usage rate of 0.9% (looks too high to me) for the UK is given. For Singapore it is 0.0005%.
Many Singapore laws were inherited from the times when those 'barbaric' Brits were in charge.

Last edited:
Missus MnMn is suffering badly with her knees at the moment
In reality she's waiting for "new" ones

After reading all the above I found a (quite large!!) box of 30/500 codine tablets that I had been proscribed last year for a frozen shoulder
She took one tablet yesterday evening....but within an hour she was complaining of feeling spaced out and "not with it" ... however...her knees felt a lot better
She has decided to suffer rather than take more
Please...no lectures about taking other people's drugs....were both adults!!

Can you still buy Codis? Asprin and Codeine. Back in the day our office had a secretary who treated all casualties with it, no matter what the ailment, it was definitely effective stuff. Not sure how safe it actually is though.

A quick Google shows it SHOULD be available over the counter... though everywhere showing out of stock...or discontinued

Missus MnMn is suffering badly with her knees at the moment
In reality she's waiting for "new" ones

After reading all the above I found a (quite large!!) box of 30/500 codine tablets that I had been proscribed last year for a frozen shoulder
She took one tablet yesterday evening....but within an hour she was complaining of feeling spaced out and "not with it" ... however...her knees felt a lot better
She has decided to suffer rather than take more
Please...no lectures about taking other people's drugs....were both adults!!

I do find it odd that folks are resigned to being in pain rather than trying a variety of different analgesia to find something that suits.
Once pain is controlled, mobility usually improves and beneficial effects come with the ability to move easier.

If the 30/500 co-codamol was too strong, maybe the 8/500 formulation would be just enough to have positive results?

I know I would rather be pain free and a bit spaced, rather than in pain.
Depends how much pain I guess?

aspirin of course is a non steroidal pain killer in the same group as ibubrufen . so ibubrufen is probably just as good [ taken with food ]

Due to constant knee pain, I recently started taking paracetamol,1000mg, maybe once or twice a day. not every day. It helped a bit.

Today, I decided to take one paracetamol 500mg, with 1 co/codamol 8/500. That is, a total of 1000mg of paracetamol and a mighty 8mg, of codeine.. which according to what I've read metabolises to about 1 mg Morphine.
I took these about 3:30 pm, an hour or so before going out for a walk, in the hope of suffering less pain from walking.

No doubt they did the trick and I was soon not only able to walk with much less pain.. but also feeling pretty spacey. From memory, I felt more 'spacey', than I did when taking 30 mg straight codeine a couple of times a day for severe back pain a couple of years ago.. Very odd.

Now.. 10 or more hours later.. I still feel odd.. though given the approx 3 hours elimination half life of Codeine, there should be next to nothing left in my system.

And to cap it all, I now have a migraine 'aura' developing as I type.

Anybody?
Happened to my son, though a more extreme reaction. They shipped him to hospital via ambulance and said he’d had an extreme reaction to the Codeine.

But it is only the 8/500 which is available OTC here. I think that the thinking is you'd have to kill yourself with paracetamol to get a serious high from 8mg of Codeine.

I recall buyng a bottle of Codeine 30 Mg tabs when about 15, to deal with tooth pain while awaiting a dentists appt. Things have changed.

I do think there's a debate to be had about whether it is better that a few idiots abuse prescription drugs, as opposed to getting into Spice/Crack etc..etc..
You can become addicted to opiates under prescription following the GP instructions without any abuse involved at all.

I was on two 30/500 cocodemol twice a day and have recently had to bump that to five per day total as I needed a top up in the afternoon.This along with Gabapentin both have kept me mobile for the last five years I guess.

Before the Gabapentin I was given Tramadol at one point but I couldn’t function on the first day of trying it. I was told by some after a few days it settles but I felt completely out of control on it. Really weird feeling!

Got to say with my current levels I no side effects however before the afternoon fix I had a real issue with bright sunlight. I struggled to see even with dark glasses on. This of course was through the pandemic so soldiered on but I guess my body was missing whatever fix it was getting from the codeine.

Hopefully I can soldier through the next few years before reaching my daily limit ( eight in 24 hours) but I guess there will likely be the option of some alternative additional relief.

I rewatched a tv show on the UKs addiction to pain meds by Dr Michael Mosley, fascinating programe especially when you see the sheer number of levels that are available. Not sure if it’s still on iplayer or not but we’ll worth a look.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/2020/02/horizon

Makes the opioid more efficient
Increases the effects

Not in my experience.

I would be interested to read anything that supports your claim.

The drugs do work in different ways, so there can be benefit from combining them. Much the same way as ibuprofen and paracetamol work well together, but have different actions. Paracetamol doesn’t make ibuprofen more efficient though, and vice versa.

advertisement

Back