advertisement

Codeine.

Whether paracetamol or ibubrufen works depends on the type of pain , I.e nerve pain or bony pain or various other pains . They both work in different ways and one may find them effective or not .

It is good practice to space them out if you are taking them together

As mentioned already nerve pain may be helped by drugs like gabapentin

As BT will tell you drugs like baclofen and diazepam can help with spasm etc

Pain management is a very complex art and often takes a lot of work to sort out

I've had lots of the drugs mentioned here, plus plenty of others. I'm currently in the camp of smaller dose of opiates is better than max doses of paracetamol and brufen. It's personnel and different for each case though. Takes time, and persistence, wooziness usually goes after a week.

I lost the days on 2mg of diazapan, yet other people take it regularly.

I see Gabapentin mentioned, worked for me short term for pain relief, but gained half stone in 6 weeks.

Paracetamol and NSAIDs are near useless when used to alleviate nerve pain. Very effective when used for tissue / joint inflammation. I hope that you find relief.

I take 2 x 30/500s three times a day
for arthritis. I used to take Tramadol and Naproxen too but I was forced to give those up some time ago. Yesterday I put my back out and I was grateful for the few Tramadol I had stashed away. No side effects, just enough pain relief to allow me to rest without too much discomfort.

I was on Omeprazole all the while I was taking Naproxen but after I stopped them both I started with really bad heartburn and I’ve had to keep taking Omeprazole ever since:(

I was on Omeprazole all the while I was taking Naproxen but after I stopped them both I started with really bad heartburn and I’ve had to keep taking Omeprazole ever since:(

Stopping Omeprazole, if you take it for more than two months, can give withdrawal symptoms. Happened to me and it took about ten days to normalise. When I raised the issue with a (young) GP, he confirmed it has only recently been recognised as a problem.

I am on Lyrica right now, with codeine as a backup measure for when the pain is too high.
BFP (in the neck too, that’s right).

Took me a year to wean myself off of omeprazole. I don’t take NSAIDS now unless desperate, and then always after food. Having the head of our bed raised slightly helped as well.
Gravity and all that jazz.

got a wonderful book called pain and palliation [ oxford general practice library]

got some real nuggets in it , like in the uk 7%of adults have chronic pain. abolition of pain may be impossible ... 70% of patients have pain despite analgesia

strategies for pain management 1] prevention .. e.g wrist splints for carpel tunnel syndrome

2] removal of cause ... infection , poor blood sugar control [ diabetic neuropathy] surgery maybe for hip pain

3] pain relieving drugs .. start with single drug at low dose and step up , in situations of acute pain step down if pain diminishes

4] physical therapies ... acupuncture , tens , physio

5] nerve blocks ... consider referral for epidural [ low back pain] local nerve block or sympathectomy [ e.g vascular rest pain]

6] modification of emotional response ... psychotropic drugs e.g anxiolytics , antidepressants

the book mentions some great sites like this one

http://www.action-on-pain.co.uk/

mentions some of the many types of pain
http://www.action-on-pain.co.uk/you-and-chronic-pain/different-types-of-pain/

• Allodynia
  • Anaesthesia dolorosa
  • Anginal pain
  • Breakthrough pain
  • Complex Regional Pain Syndrome I
  • Complex Regional Pain Syndrome II
  • Hyperalgesia
  • Hyperpathia
  • Idiopathic pain
  • Malignant pain
  • Paresthesia
  • Phantom limb pain
  • Psychogenic pain

A physiotherapist once told me " it's only pain, you don't really feel it, it's just your knee (damaged) sending a message to your brain" and recommended "mind over matter"

Sounds daft, but I've tried it, and it can work up to a point.

Works for me but up to a point as you say. Thing that helped more than anything was orthotics for my footwear and exercises both for my knees and a Sciatic stretches to prevent Sciatica. But when I can't get to sleep for the pain I give in and use some gel painkiller.

Sounds daft, but I've tried it, and it can work up to a point.

It really doesn’t work with acute severe pain in my experience, think broken bones…

What does have more effect than one would believe is Entonox

https://www.bochealthcare.co.uk/en/...y-category/medical-gases/entonox/entonox.html

I have used it several times (broken bones) and it is what Women use when in labour.

We also used it on the ward with patients who had severe wounds that required redressing.

A physiotherapist once told me " it's only pain, you don't really feel it, it's just your knee (damaged) sending a message to your brain" and recommended "mind over matter"
That’s stupid.
I’m dancing right now with an awful pain in the back (herniated disc) and the pain is there and although I keep fighting it it won’t go away, no matter how hard I try to forget about it.

advertisement

Back