advertisement

Classical Bargain Box Sets

Apparently some people even think Andrew Davis is a great conductor.....
Maybe not great, but still very good in my view. I always find he lets the music speak for himself rather than trying to superimpose an individualistic statement on it (I see Wit in the same light).

And then there is his magnum opus...

994x200-en.png

https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/search?q=boxsets-and-anthologies-special-offers-eu

I've now got a copy of the 109CD box set of all Barbirolli's recordngs for EMI/Pye/ etc that Warner hoovered up. It's an excellent collection overall. I'm particularly impressed by the number of rarely re-released early '78 era' recordings because they have been 'cleaned' very well and many sound really good. Also better for some later recordings where early EMI CDs did lousy transfers. Plus some never-previously-released items as well.

The real weak point is the 'booklet' with says very little about the recordings. Each disc *sleeve* has details like the date and location of the recordings and identifies the engineers, producers, etc. But in *tiny* type in a way that is very hard to read. And of course, all spread out on the actual covers. Whereas almost all the other recent big box sets I've got in recent years - e.g. Decca: Analogue years, etc - have a booklet that gives all the details page by page, with a decent index.

So just in case it helps anyone else, I'll point out that there is a book I bought some years ago - "Sir John Barbirolli - A Career On Record" by David Li Jones that has a decent discography with with details, and indeed, a CDROM showing more info like scans of the original disc labels! More than fills rhe gap! But a shame that the box-set's 'booklet' is so thin!

... I`m constantly amazed that my favourite recording often does poorly in "Building a Library" ...
I have a theory about reviewers that the more they know about the music they are reviewing the easier it is for them to find reasons to dislike it. I prefer my ignorance.

I have a theory about reviewers that the more they know about the music they are reviewing the easier it is for them to find reasons to dislike it. I prefer my ignorance.

Much like the Thurber cartoon of the cross-looking art critic, with a woman saying to her friend 'He knows everything about art, but he doesn't know what he likes'.

A common complaint is how performers take liberties with tempi, personal bias comes into play as well. When I listen to pieces I have played and know well, I prefer performances that mirror or reflect my views on articulation, tempo and dynamics. As the presenters are musicians, it’s natural they should have biases in this area.

Plenty of deals on presto music.
Just taken delivery of Beethoven Sonatas (Emil Gilels), Complete Carlos Kleiber and Karajan Bruckner set. All half price. Ends 27th July.

advertisement

Back