advertisement

Christmas Wine

Status
Not open for further replies.
A strange one, this. I was somewhat underwhelmed by the 2015 Guigal (see above.) It was perfectly fine, rather pleasant in fact - but still not as good as I had been hoping. Was I expecting too much simply because it was a 2015? I remembered I had a couple of 2014s left, so last night I had a head-to-head.

49942162013_efd9fbfdb1_z.jpg

The first thing that struck me on opening the 2014 was the comparatively large amount of oakiness on the nose. Not a plus point in my book. I could taste it too at first, although not after an hour or so. The 2015 had more of a peppery scent and tasted of mulberryish type fruit. It was the smoother of the two - the 2014 had harsher tannins and an astringency that made it feel more ‘rustic’.

I had to keep reminding myself that I was probably judging both bottles harshly, bearing in mind they cost me under £6 each. At that price they were excellent value, although if I had paid the full UK price - of what, £12? - I would have been less impressed. At that level I’d have to say Pigeoulet would get my vote.

I definitely preferred the 2015, but I’ll put the remainder down to drink in the next couple of years as I don’t see it improving from here. I’d thought about getting some 2016s for comparison, but as I’m already stuffed to the gunwales with 2016 Coudoulet perhaps I’ll leave that to someone else.

So all sound, but a nagging sense of disappointment, either down to overly high expectations, decreasing VFM, a suspicion the wine simply isn’t as good as it was, or my frame of mind (on the night or in the current period) or a combination. Maybe.

Mbe CdR is more consistent as a blanc
though I see you described the Perrin as
bland.CdR villages red is probably more
reliable.
Mm at the risk of being declared PnG
I'm drinking
a no name 2018 Lidl Chablis £6.99 currently
down from £9.99.
Btw enjoying the Pigeoulet more must be
the moon.

Mbe CdR is more consistent as a blanc
though I see you described the Perrin as
bland.CdR villages red is probably more
reliable.
Mm at the risk of being declared PnG
I'm drinking
a no name 2018 Lidl Chablis £6.99 currently
down from £9.99.
Btw enjoying the Pigeoulet more must be
the moon.

Something has changed over the years between me and the Guigal. Either me, or it, or my perception of it, or the conditions through which I perceive it. I’m sure someone like Hegel reduced all that to a theorem expressible in half-a-dozen Greek characters.

Or perhaps you are right, it’s all down to the moon.

Anyway, how was the Chablis? We need to know.

I was underwhelmed recently by a 2015 Gigondas from Raspail-Ay, normally one of my favourite southern Rhone estates. Just didn't seem to have much to it. I preferred both 14 and 16.

I haven't tasted the Guigal CdR for years, it always used to be excellent. It is a negociant wine, not from owned vineyards as far as I'm aware. They used to make getting an allocation of a case of one of their top Cote Roties, La Mouline or La Turque, conditional on buying a pallet or some such of the CdR, which the brokers would then knock out cheap to the multiples to get rid of it. That's why you often find it in convenience stores at attractive prices.

A strange one, this. I was somewhat underwhelmed by the 2015 Guigal (see above.) It was perfectly fine, rather pleasant in fact - but still not as good as I had been hoping. Was I expecting too much simply because it was a 2015? I remembered I had a couple of 2014s left, so last night I had a head-to-head.

49942162013_efd9fbfdb1_z.jpg

The first thing that struck me on opening the 2014 was the comparatively large amount of oakiness on the nose. Not a plus point in my book. I could taste it too at first, although not after an hour or so. The 2015 had more of a peppery scent and tasted of mulberryish type fruit. It was the smoother of the two - the 2014 had harsher tannins and an astringency that made it feel more ‘rustic’.

I had to keep reminding myself that I was probably judging both bottles harshly, bearing in mind they cost me under £6 each. At that price they were excellent value, although if I had paid the full UK price - of what, £12? - I would have been less impressed. At that level I’d have to say Pigeoulet would get my vote.

I definitely preferred the 2015, but I’ll put the remainder down to drink in the next couple of years as I don’t see it improving from here. I’d thought about getting some 2016s for comparison, but as I’m already stuffed to the gunwales with 2016 Coudoulet perhaps I’ll leave that to someone else.

So all sound, but a nagging sense of disappointment, either down to overly high expectations, decreasing VFM, a suspicion the wine simply isn’t as good as it was, or my frame of mind (on the night or in the current period) or a combination. Maybe.

Guigal CdR is usually a safe bet at (often discounted to) £9. IIRC I liked both the 2014 and 2015: I don't have any now.
But I do have a case of Brune et Blonde 2015 and I'm hopeful they will be very good. North Rhone better than South in 2015 as a generalisation.
Coudoulet is twice that CdR price and therefore should be better, especially in 2016. I've already had a few of mine.

Chablis for £6.99 mm gives a hint of
what a good white Burgundy can be like
steely pleasant acidity zero bitterness.
Ofcourse Chablis like Burgundy is all
about the grower but then your
paying lots more.Anyway I'm looking
at some 2018 whites IB modest
ofcourse but still pricey.

Tonight it’s time to start on the Chateau Musar 2001 bought last November from Waitrose for £19.33 in one of their 25% off promos. I hope those continue in the new normal. I ordered six bottles of Musar but, Waitrose being what they are, didn’t know the vintage. I was given three 2001 and three 2003.

The bottom 5mm of the cork sheared off, was irretrievable and had to be pushed in, which is always annoying. The colour was tending towards brick red (I attempted to show that in the pic, unsuccessfully I think) and paler still round the edges. For drinking sooner rather than later, I suggest. But initial impressions were very favourable - Bordeaux style with a minty edge. More to follow...

49948992348_e8fe02af54_z.jpg

^ Musar is terrific value at that price. A step up from Coudoulet IMO.
The cork is often a problem with those old Musars: Marc Musar has a video how to use the 2 prong opener.
I'm pretty sure your 2001 should be good for a few years more. My 1998s certainly were/are.
Apart from one last 1998 and one 2010 I have only 2003s: they are lovely. Particularly with food..

Last edited:
The cork is often a problem with those old Musars: Marc Musar has a video how to use the 2 prong opener.
Thanks, I’ll try to remember to use the butler’s friend next time. I see a few people on the Waitrose website mention a similar problem, including one chap who gave the wine one out of five because Waitrose wouldn’t give him a refund as a result. It seems that because the wine was perfectly OK he couldn’t have it for free, so he got grumpy. Bloody small print!

I've had a few bottles of the 2001 Musar where the cork has broken. Not really a problem as the bottle really does need a couple of hours in a decanter.

Normally I wouldn't be too happy buying a wine with corks that disintegrate so often. But Musar gets a pass because I love the wine.
Wonder if it is the type of cork they use or Lebanon climate conditions.
Top quality corks are surprisingly expensive.

6-CA16-E47-0-EC0-4-E3-E-8185-C23-A10-B0-DAA8.jpg

For some reason I can’t get the image to stay the right way round, sorry!
Probably sacrilege for this thread, but sitting in the sun yesterday we opted for tinto de verano, a nod to my upbringing-ish (I’m sure no true Spaniard would make this with Chilean wine). Basically red wine shandy, but a fantastically refreshing drink. The Montes Twins wasn’t half bad, either. Not much depth or length to it, but great flavour; worked well in this setup. Kiddo had a sip and liked it, so there may be hope for him yet. Growing up I was given this at meals in restaurants (very different wine to mixer ratio!!) before I ever got sight of fanta or coke.

Musar II - sorry, I had intended to edit this on to the end of part one above, but I can’t. I must have left it too long.

There was no sign of flagging on the second day, so perhaps I was mistaken about the colour suggesting old age. The strangest thing was that every mouthful appeared to highlight a different quality. First a jammy one, then a more tannic one, then a kind of minty, eucalyptus one. Almost as if my brain was trying to get a solid fix on what it was and where it came from, darting about from one grape to another like a barcode scanner trying to make out a dodgy QR code. One of the penalties of being overly Franco-centric I suppose. But a fine return for me to Ch Musar - probably 30 years since I last tasted one. I’m very pleased there are two more in wait, with a slew of 2003s to follow.

Those of a nervous disposition please look away a wine less than £5...

I can’t quite match that as tonight is fish pie night, and all my absolute bargain basement jobs (£2-£3) are red. But this cost me 16p more than yours, £5.15. I remember buying it in France during a Carrefour Market wine fair, but have had to rely on CT to tell me that I bought three and drank the others in May and November last year. I remember they were some kind of buyer’s special recommendation, which probably means they were either a bargain or a trap for suckers. I have no recollection what they were like. I really should try to take notes rather than trust what I laughingly call my memory. Even though they would be along the lines of ‘crap’ ‘OK’ ‘nice’ ‘terrific’ and ‘oh, Jesus’ rather than ‘redolent of children playing in the honeyed rays of late autumn sunshine, plus crunchy fruit’ I guess they would help a bit.

Anyway, I’ll let you know about this one.

49956307053_7208d4a4c4.jpg

Musar II - sorry, I had intended to edit this on to the end of part one above, but I can’t. I must have left it too long.

There was no sign of flagging on the second day, so perhaps I was mistaken about the colour suggesting old age. The strangest thing was that every mouthful appeared to highlight a different quality. First a jammy one, then a more tannic one, then a kind of minty, eucalyptus one. Almost as if my brain was trying to get a solid fix on what it was and where it came from, darting about from one grape to another like a barcode scanner trying to make out a dodgy QR code. One of the penalties of being overly Franco-centric I suppose. But a fine return for me to Ch Musar - probably 30 years since I last tasted one. I’m very pleased there are two more in wait, with a slew of 2003s to follow.
I read somewhere that some Musar vintages could take 24-48hrs to “come round”. I’ve never left one for that long, but I’ve got some 2000 I could try it with.

Hello Marchbanks. You know I’m moving house? Well, I emptied a cupboard today and found these in the back. I know you like wine, do you think they would be any good to you? You might think they are rubbish and that they need to be chucked out, of course!

Yes, I reckon so. Er, that they might be of some use, I mean. That’s very kind of you, thank you very much!

49960187241_82d14380cd.jpg

Fine trio. I often receive similar gifts.

Hopeful; "I just thought I'd bring these in to see if you thought they'd be any good" (code for 'worth anything, and would you buy them') "I'm moving house and found them in the asbestos-roofed, uninsulated garage/behind the boiler, my wife's late father was a great wine collector."

Me: "I'm afraid not. To attempt to drink these would constitute vinous necrophilia."

Hopeful (but patently disappointed) "Oh, perhaps you'd like to have them anyway...." (code for 'I've lost interest and can't be bothered to take them to the bottle bank.')

nWHMn6.jpg

I have to say, your little selection does take the prize. Even being found in possession of a bottle of Gallo pink Zinfandel should attract an immediate custodial sentence, and I consider myself to be a libertarian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back