advertisement

Christmas Wine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes the 2019. Have a few vintages going back to 2005. Normally only buy PC, Lynch Bages and grand puy Lacoste. Probably only the PC and GPL this year. Although I’m a bit flush as I bought a few cases of Cristal 2008 and doubled my money on a case. Sadly price has dropped now. Not sure I can ever justify drinking it.

Must be great to sell off wine at a profit but it's not something I've ever done. You seem to be doing it well at scale: do you store your wine at BBR or similar ?
I got 3 cases of the Meyney and it has already gone up from £285 to £320 a case: nice but not enough to bother selling a case. Perhaps I should have bought 30 cases but I just buy what I can drink.
But seriously I have always thought EP was too much of an insiders game for outsiders like me to play on a level field.

I’ve only sold a few cases. However, doubled my money! I tend to buy via laithwaites fine wine service (really good lads) and leave them in their storage facility. I’ve sold via them and also a broker. I think the secret is buying first growths or the super seconds. I would not envisage selling GPL. However, PC is probably up there with first growths at a fraction of the cost. Indeed, many vintages have out scored some of the first growths.

... I tend to buy via laithwaites fine wine service... I think the secret is buying first growths or the super seconds. I would not envisage selling GPL. However, PC is probably up there with first growths at a fraction of the cost. Indeed, many vintages have out scored some of the first growths.

Table stakes too high for me. I only do that stretch for Beaucastel in a good year because I know I will like it on special occasions for several years.
Don't understand the obsession some have with high priced Bordeaux to the exclusion of other wines: I know someone with a couple of thousand bottles and 95% are Bordeaux.

I completely agree. I also don't understand the obsession with expensive wine generally. I love inexpensive wine. If you just go for the stuff that costs in excess of £40 or £50 a bottle, you are missing out on an awful lot of lovely wine.

Not aimed at you, Spike, being in the trade just something I see quite a bit.

Reactions: PsB
A DHL delivery arrived on the doorstep this morning from Charles Joguet. I can’t say it was a nice surprise as I’ve been tracking it since it left Sazilly on Tuesday. Even with postage costs (45€ for 18 bottles) it was worthwhile. The Silènes works out at around £13 (£17.20 from Tanners) and the Rosé around £12 (can’t find it in the UK, but about $22 in the US.) I reckon that equates to better than one free bottle per box of six, which is a decent return for a little effort by email and telephone.

49998525537_f7a9a844d6_z.jpg

I also put my name on a dozen Clos de la Dioterie 2018 en primeur (released next year), which should be wonderful. I paid the full price up front, around 20% less than the final price will be from Lay and Wheeler.

Last edited:
I completely agree. I also don't understand the obsession with expensive wine generally. I love inexpensive wine. If you just go for the stuff that costs in excess of £40 or £50 a bottle, you are missing out on an awful lot of lovely wine.

Ive got a receipt here for a doz.IB . Branaire-Ducru 1982 purchased 1984 guess how much?

Ive got a receipt here for a doz.IB . Branaire-Ducru 1982 purchased 1984 guess how much?
I would guess around a hundred quid. I seem to remember that’s what I paid for Léoville-Barton ’82. I’ve got a Harvey’s catalogue from the 60’s lurking somewhere - I must try to find it.

Last edited:
Those fine chaps from BBR delivered a couple of cases today. Tonight will enjoy their own selection Rioja with a lovely paella.

They sent a £25 off £200 spend on own selection voucher, happy to send on if you PM me. I’ve found anything with their label on it is excellent quality and value.

I'm waiting on a 47 bottle order from Portugal vineyards, there's another thread in which they were recommended and I bought some wine which was very good, anyway this order contains 4 X 500mm bottles of EV olive oil and 2 X 500mm bottles of Balsamic type vinegars plus some cases of sparkling wine with the rest being all reds from mainly 2015, a couple of 2011 and some from 2017, postage costs are about €1 per bottle or €47 for this order which is with DHL.

I really can't wait

Oh, I nearly forgot there's also a €40 bottle of 2000 vintage port:D

https://www.portugalvineyards.com/en/login?back=history

I’ve just stumbled across this, which I haven’t seen before. It might mean those of us making personal imports might get an nine month extension of our fun before the killjoys shut us down...

‘To facilitate the transition, the British government has put forward the idea of suspending the obligation of administrative formalities for the import of European wines for nine months following Brexit. Today, this governmental text is awaiting validation by the British Parliament. If confirmed, French wines will be exempted from administrative formalities for 9 months after Brexit.’

https://www.vignoblexport.com/article/3/Brexit-how-can-French-winegrowers-prepare-themselves

I’m pretty sure they mean nine months from the end of the transition period. It is dated last January, so things might have changed. Or simply been forgotten about for the time being. It has made me feel a little more hopeful for the immediate short term, anyway,

Last edited:

Too many Englishmen of a certain age want to see a drawing of a Bordeaux chateau on the label.... If you only drink Bordeaux for decades I imagine other wines will just taste 'wrong' no matter how good they are.
A poncey (similar to a top name but much cheaper) name and a cork are also necessary to show off to guests.
Actually a friend of mine once asked me to help him buy wine for a dinner party: he had strict instructions from his wife that the wines could be anything as long as they had a cork !
Edit: like EV I hasten to add that none of these comments refer to anyone on PFM.

Last edited:

There is nothing I enjoy more than good inexpensive wine! Actually I do. Discovering an inexpensive wine! I buy En primeur only when it’s a good vintage. Normally buy a couple of cases. I stick to PC, LB and GPL. The GPL I normally drink. I sell the odd case which has been fruitful and may drink the others on retirement. I also buy other cheaper Bordeaux wines to drink. However, I a massive fan of Aussie Shiraz so have lots of various vintages of some of the £20 - £50 range when I bought them. Again with the intention of keeping until retirement. Although I do drink them now. When I retire I fully intend on only buying inexpensive wines and drink my more expensive. I’m well aware of diminishing returns. Hence I’d never buy 1st growths. Although I have a few, these have mostly been gifts.
I also often buy from Waitrose with 25% off. As a result I have a number of great wines. I was early to discover Chocolate Block and have vintages going back 20 years when they were only making 50 barrels. These were a bargain. Likewise St Hallet Old Block. First discovered in a Tesco in London for less than £10 plus discount at the time. Could’t buy enough cases! Waitrose did sell it for a number of years so always bought a vintage with 25% off. I also love sharing my wines with friends.
I was given two bottle Mouton Rothschild 2000. It was a pleasure to drink with friends a few years ago. The second bottle is waiting for friends to visit when she fully recovers from cancer. I will also be sharing some very inexpensive wines with them which they always enjoy.

OMFG! The Mouton Rothschild 2000 is now in the region of £2000 per bottle! Think my friend who gifted me 2 bottles, bought his in 2002 at under £100 per bottle. Some increase. It’s a beautiful bottle to look at. Pity I gave the empty bottle away as they sell for over £100 empty on eBay!

OMFG! The Mouton Rothschild 2000 is now in the region of £2000 per bottle! Think my friend who gifted me 2 bottles, bought his in 2002 at under £100 per bottle. Some increase. It’s a beautiful bottle to look at. Pity I gave the empty bottle away as they sell for over £100 empty on eBay!
Win-win. You get to drink a £2000 bottle, then sell the empty bottle for what you paid for the wine. Clever you! :D

^ I've never had Mouton Rothschild but I have had Petit Mouton more than once courtesy of a friend in the wine trade. Very nice but I wouldn't pay even that much lower price for any wine.
Yet another example how the rich can get richer though...

Last edited:
I’ve got a Harvey’s catalogue from the 60’s lurking somewhere - I must try to find it.

Here are a couple of pages. I quite fancy the Figeac, but over thirty bob a bottle for Palmer is just taking the mick.

50001046981_4be3df21f5_c.jpg

50000583468_d5cfb20a42_c.jpg

For the benefit of those aged under 50, 20/- used to make £1. It probably will again soon - I’d get learning now if I were you.

^ I like the comment under Claret for Laying Down 1961 Vintage: 'A highly successful vintage.' Indeed !
great pity my father didn't buy a few cases of Ch Whatever when I was born. Just not that sort of family I suppose.

A doz.Branaire-Ducru 1982 in 1984 was £57.72.IB.

Best wine bargain Ch.Le Pin magnum £50.
Dumbest move selling it before prices
went stratospheric.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back