advertisement

Christmas Wine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I quite like that ceiling. It reminds me of the micropub I was in a couple of nights ago. Except everything was a model, not a painting. And the plane was German, not British. And the ICE don’t have a foot and the bottom half of a leg coming through the ceiling. I can’t quite work it out, I admit. I can see two arms on either side of the flag, but not what they belong to.

Are you sure you didn't dream this ? Is micropub even a thing ?

Are you suggesting I sometimes let my imagination run away with me?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micropub

The beer is brewed in the abattoir, the terrier (not a model) stands on its hind legs when you buy a drink and above the pub the sign clearly says ‘Post Office.’ It all makes sense in the PRW.

Last edited:
The Xinomavro was a bit adventurous. 9 bottles left. They are still young from 2012 so should be maturing nicely for future lamb dishes.
I'm about 70% from France, Italy and Germany. And 20% from California, SA and Oz.
Whispering Bloody Angel. That is a proper insult MB: it might provoke him back :)
Whose Xinomavro is that?

Are you suggesting I sometimes let my imagination run away with me?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micropub

The beer is brewed in the abattoir, the terrier (not a model) stands on its hind legs when you buy a drink and above the pub the sign clearly says ‘Post Office.’ It all makes sense in the PRW.

So it is a microbrewery and attached micropub with a microdog: the PRW seems a smashing place. Is it just a walk from The Towers ?

So it is a microbrewery and attached micropub with a microdog: the PRW seems a smashing place. Is it just a walk from The Towers ?

The pub is in the throbbing, teeming capital of the PRW, about an hour’s trot from the Towers on a good horse. For the sake of clarity I should say that the brewery is a separate entity, a couple of miles away just by Tesco.

In case the anti-ramble thread police are watching I’d better say something wine-based. Here’s tonight’s offering - £5 from Auchan in their hopefully never-ending bargain basement section. I see I opened the previous one in October - it was certainly a powerful little number then. I still have a dozen. CT gives an end date of 2021, which seems rather soon to me. I also have a couple of bottles of Ch Bouscassé 2015 and it might be interesting to try them side by side when my tastebuds are feeling up to a full-on assault (in a good way of course.)

49398723407_dd9099de06_c.jpg

Note to staff: That coffee machine is in a disgraceful state.

Incidentally, MB, according to Zalto you should wash their stemware in the dishwasher.

Riedel Vinum now successfully dishwashed. Phew!

Last edited:
Alpha Estates Reserve Vielles Vignes.
Ah yes. I have a couple bottles of that lurking in the trusty EuroCave, relics of my spell in Greece. A first tasting a few years ago indicated this was not my favourite Xinomavro so far, something I attributed to a lack of ageing. So decided to forget the others at the bottom of the fridge for a few years.

I had 4 glasses of chardonnay a few nights ago and felt a bit rough tbh. It was a ridiculous 13.5% though. I may have, quite suddenly, become a bit of a wimp with old age...
Until this morning I probably would have nodded in agreement. But I woke up today feeling unusually bleary after a couple of glasses of Goudale followed by red wine. When I eventually managed to focus on the bottle of Bouza and its remaining contents I read ‘15% by volume’ so naturally I am going to blame the dastardly Uruguayans.

Ah yes. I have a couple bottles of that lurking in the trusty EuroCave, relics of my spell in Greece. A first tasting a few years ago indicated this was not my favourite Xinomavro so far, something I attributed to a lack of ageing. So decided to forget the others at the bottom of the fridge for a few years.

I've tried a couple of mine and they were pretty good. I may try another in a few months but I suspect my 2012 vintage needs a couple more years.
What year are yours ?

Reactions: PsB
Until this morning I probably would have nodded in agreement. But I woke up today feeling unusually bleary after a couple of glasses of Goudale followed by red wine. When I eventually managed to focus on the bottle of Bouza and its remaining contents I read ‘15% by volume’ so naturally I am going to blame the dastardly Uruguayans.

White wine has more sulphites than red. Sulphites have various side effects. Another reason to drink more red.
South American red is usually high alcohol. Especially one named Bouza ! And you did mix with beer. Strong beer !
I can drink the same amount on different days and the effect is different. Not sure if it is mood, food, type of wine, alcohol level/sulphites or what.

I can drink the same amount on different days and the effect is different. Not sure if it is mood, food, type of wine, alcohol level/sulphites or what.

All of the above?
That’s how I view it; same effect. Sometimes a glass is enough for a buzz, other times I suddenly realise it’s been way more than that and it feels like I’ve been drinking water.

Quite. The Goudale was less strong than my normal Rochefort starter, so I can only imagine it was the change of diet or the combination of contents in the beer and wine that did it. I went to bed feeling just fine, then woke up at five with that ominous feeling that the morning isn’t going to be great. It doesn’t happen often, and it’s annoying when it does for no obvious reason. I’ll switch back to a Belgium/Uruguay combo tonight in order to prove, er, something.

Quite. The Goudale was less strong than my normal Rochefort starter, so I can only imagine it was the change of diet or the combination of contents in the beer and wine that did it. I went to bed feeling just fine, then woke up at five with that ominous feeling that the morning isn’t going to be great. It doesn’t happen often, and it’s annoying when it does for no obvious reason. I’ll switch back to a Belgium/Uruguay combo tonight in order to prove, er, something.

The same happened to me this morning. Dinner party last night, 2007 Bollinger, Picpoul and a 2015 Morgon (it was all fish), no more than normal, woke up feeling like death. But a spiteful head cold has manifested itself through the day, so an early night tonight. I blame the Central Line on two consecutive rush hours last week. Nasty business.

I found a 2016 Belleruche sulking at the back. Probably because I hadn't even put it on CT. My last one.
I suspect it will cheer up when I drink it with a homemade burger (why does anyone buy a ready made burger in a supermarket ?).

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back