advertisement

Christmas Wine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decanting champagne seems a bit unnecessary: do Riedel need to sell more decanters ? Should be drunk at 9 oC and could be too warm if decanted before getting into the glass.
But I am aware there is a move away from flutes to white wine glasses which makes some sense. I think the ladies will still want their flutes though...so much champagne drinking is about the theatre of it.
I like Riedal glasses but I don't believe you need many different shapes: one for white and a larger one for red. I like that pinot shape too. Brilliant marketing wheeze though.
I'm not that interested in sparkling wine although I'll drink champers on an occasion, or with oysters.

Decanting champagne seems a bit unnecessary: do Riedel need to sell more decanters ? Should be drunk at 9 oC and could be too warm if decanted before getting into the glass.
Champagne should be drunk at 9 o’clock? Good man! With kedgeree, I hope?

Champagne should be drunk at 9 o’clock? Good man! With kedgeree, I hope?

The only champagne mornings I can remember were a few posh breakfasts years ago: even then I kinda forced myself as it was 'free'.
Don't really enjoy any alcohol before sundown any more.
I had 4 glasses of chardonnay a few nights ago and felt a bit rough tbh. It was a ridiculous 13.5% though. I may have, quite suddenly, become a bit of a wimp with old age...
Do you think kedgeree would help this sad state of affairs ?

Last edited:
No alcohol before sundown sounds a bit restrictive to me after say, the middle of March. I don’t think I’d want to wait until 9pm in midsummer to crack open the Rochefort aperitif. The only thing I let the sun have a say in is the time I get out of bed. And in summer that is usually overruled as well.

I’m unsure about this nocturnal kedgeree eating. Between you and me I think it is eternumviti’s subconscious dredging up happy memories from the dorm.

I have to note the passing of Rude Wines, suppliers of my now-favourite Riedel Ouverture Magnum glasses at a silly price of £7.99/pair. It seems that shortly after I visited their warehouse to collect them along with some Israeli syrah and chardonnay for BTC3 and myself they went into liquidation. I can only assume that having dealt with two illustrious and charismatic members of the Christmas Wine thread they felt their business had achieved all it could. The malicious rumours that it had anything to do with our exuberant (and some say overly physical) price-negotiating technique are completely unfounded.

Last edited:
^^ sundown means sufficient time after tea time. Tea time is of course fixed between 4pm and 5pm GMT.

ET's rule on kedgeree eating between 3-6am needs further information. He hasn't been pulling his weight on this thread for a while now. It is after all his home turf.

I read that 'one of Rude Wines signature offers was wine from Peru'. On that basis we can assume the collapse was not entirely to do with your visit. However £7.99/pair does sound like you got your usual bargain and it could have been the last straw.

I didn’t buy anything from Peru, but in addition to the Israeli stuff I bought two bottles of this from Uruguay for £13.99 each. (Hey, look further down - a bottle of Xinomavro!) The ancestral cellars are starting to show a little global diversity (down to a mere 87.5% French now.)

ET's rule on kedgeree eating between 3-6am needs further information. He hasn't been pulling his weight on this thread for a while now. It is after all his home turf.

Oh, he'll be having an argument on another thread somewhere... or playing football with his gravel-voiced client prior to a glass or two of Whispering Angel.

Last edited:
The Xinomavro was a bit adventurous. 9 bottles left. They are still young from 2012 so should be maturing nicely for future lamb dishes.
I'm about 70% from France, Italy and Germany. And 20% from California, SA and Oz.
Whispering Bloody Angel. That is a proper insult MB: it might provoke him back :)

Last edited:
How was the Ballena, @Marchbanks ?
Looks like I’ll be in Chile towards the end of the month, will see if I can get across to Argentina and Uruguay too. I’ve got a lead on some apparently rather good Argentinean Malbec that’s not currently available in Europe.
I’ll have to run a calculation on regional diversity in the cellar here. Instinct says French will be a small percentage compared to Argentinian, Spanish, or Italian, but champagne stocks might skew the numbers (yep, 55 bottles in stock, that’s going to have an impact).

^^ you need to start celebrating life BTC3. 55 bottles of champers ? 1 a week from now on. Plus 2 on your birthday and Xmas.
Are they vintage ? How long does champagne keep ? And where do you keep them ?

Oh, we do, don’t worry, wacko! But over the course of a couple of years we tend to buy more than we’d drink.
Some is kept in bond (if it shows potential to appreciate in value over time, and the port set aside for kiddo), the rest is in the cellar here. One of the joys of living in a house that used to belong to a brewer/pub landlord: a large cellar, arranged in bins, cut into/out of chalk. 12-14 degrees in winter, 14-15 in hottest summer, and a pretty well constant humidity level.
We try to buy stuff that will potentially keep for a few years, knowing we will likely not get to it quickly.

Balls.

And 21sts, usually in marquees and country piles, with lots of japes and jollity. Kedgeree is de rigueur, and usually fairly revolting, at 3 or 4 in the morning. Bacon rolls come later.

Wild horses wouldn't drag me to balls, and 21sts are a thing of the past. Well, in theory, because of friends and their children, so I found myself as a guest at one not a year ago, but long before kedgeree time I was warmly ensconced in the drawing room with Lady Mary and a group of Oxford undergrads who were having a debate, one that was notable for both its breadth and its intellectual rigour, about philosophy. Most of it went way over my head, either because I was distracted by Lady Mary - who far from being the elderly chatelaine you might expect is a much in demand club DJ upon whose various Instagram feeds one can while away many a rainy (or indeed sunny) afternoon - or because I'm far too stupid, or because the time of day had rendered me emotional. The Champagne was Pol Roger White Foil, and the claret not unexpectedly that failsafe of the gentried classes, Ch Leoville Barton, but the vintage has escaped me.

Anyway, to cut a long story long, by the time I had summoned up the strength to tear myself away from the scintillating company in the drawing room, the kedgeree was an already long gone and almost certainly unhappy memory, and the kids were back in the rave tent, where they stayed until 8 in the morning. I did get a bacon roll, and it was every bit as cold and disgusting as expected, the bacon having entered into some kind of secondary rigor-mortis. I recall nothing that occurred later.

Oh, he'll be having an argument on another thread somewhere... or playing football with his gravel-voiced client prior to a glass or two of Whispering Angel.

You know, my appetite for bickering and annoying people elsewhere has palled since the election, though I do have the odd damp squib attempt at it. However, now you've mentioned football and Whispering Angel, I feel myself bristling afresh. Suffice it to say, neither would I wilfully touch.

Talking of Sir Tartan, I heard a song on my Spotify feed the other day that sounded just like The Faces, but without the gravel-voiced one. It was really very good, and investigation revealed that it was indeed a Rodless Faces piece. When I was young they used to use our village hall for practice sessions, the better because it was remote and they could go loud without causing to much disturbance. The hall is long gone, and I have often wondered if the exciting racket that they made finally overwhelmed the rather flimsy structure.

How was the Ballena, @Marchbanks ?
I must admit haven’t tried it yet. I will put that right soon, they are on the ‘Drink this year’ list.

Talking of Sir Tartan, I heard a song on my Spotify feed the other day that sounded just like The Faces, but without the gravel-voiced one. It was really very good, and investigation revealed that it was indeed a Rodless Faces piece.

Pre-Britt and pre-US Rod was great. The ‘Reason To Believe’ box is all the Rod you need (if you’ll pardon the expression) and the ‘Five Guys Walk Into a Bar’ box does a similar job for the Faces. I actually have a spare copy of the latter that I’d swap for a couple of interesting bottles (preferably full) should you want and not have one. By chance I’m listening to it now whilst enjoying a Sorg Muscat.

^^^ I knew there was some juicy info on the kedgeree story EV !
Lady Mary is indeed something to behold: thanks. What could be better than a, slightly edgy, English rose.
I imagine some of her friends would be equally distracting. How lucky you are to observe la jeunesse dorée up close...or did you feel your age instead ?
They must have been moving on from alcohol by that time so just as well you can't recall...Although, as I am sure you didn't drive home in that state, did you find a place to sleep ?

Can't blame Rod for cashing-in but his early stuff was so much better. But then that is true of almost everyone.

Pre-Britt and pre-US Rod was great. The ‘Reason To Believe’ box is all the Rod you need (if you’ll pardon the expression) and the ‘Five Guys Walk Into a Bar’ box does a similar job for the Faces. I actually have a spare copy of the latter that I’d swap for a couple of interesting bottles (preferably full) should you want and not have one. By chance I’m listening to it now whilst enjoying a Sorg Muscat.

Yes, the wild young rocker becomes wily old trouper, but you have to admire him really, he certainly doesn't need to do it. Or perhaps he does, I don't know, he has a hell of a household to run. Women will throw their green credentials to the Saharan wind and cross the globe to go to one of his shows, whilst their men just look bemused and stay at home.

Anyway, you have a deal on the black spinny, name me a price and I will arrange appropriate amends.

^^^ I knew there was some juicy info on the kedgeree story EV !
Lady Mary is indeed something to behold: thanks. What could be better than a, slightly edgy, English rose.
I imagine some of her friends would be equally distracting. How lucky you are to observe la jeunesse dorée up close...or did you feel your age instead ?
They must have been moving on from alcohol by that time so just as well you can't recall...Although, as I am sure you didn't drive home in that state, did you find a place to sleep ?

Can't blame Rod for cashing-in but his early stuff was so much better. But then that is true of almost everyone.

You've been on Google, you crafty old thing. Yes, the jeunesse tend to be alarmingly beautiful, and I do feel old. I'm sure too that they had moved on, and no, I certainly didn't drive home, an appropriate, quiet, and comfortable billet having been available.

Sorry, I addressed your Rod comment above, but neglected to include that bit of your quote.

Well I'd like to know more about the billet. But that is just the voyeur in me.
The great thing about our age is that we are totally invisible to these beautiful creatures, so gawking is probably OK now.
I'm reduced to asking my son about his girlfriends but even he is less than forthcoming these days.
Anyway what is life except wine, women and song...

It's strange that as you start to approach your dotage - or rather, as it rushes up on you - that relentless infatuation with sex which so dominates our youth melts away to be progressively replaced by a quiet enjoyment of good company and interesting conversation fuelled and oiled by well prepared food and delicious wine. Without jeunesse this would easily run the risk of being dull or repetitive, but the bright sharpness of inquisitive and wonderfully informed young minds within the mix ensures that it remains utterly invigorating, and from here one can quite unabashed appreciate and enjoy both the beauty and the intelligence of these young men and women.

I think I have a quiet fear of this stage in life passing. My own children are adult but yet unmarried, and I see much of them despite one of them living in Amsterdam, but when they start their own families that essential ingredient will progressively disappear, and the dinner table might yet become the refuge of old men and women grumbling pointlessly and repetitively into their claret.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back