advertisement

Christmas Wine

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is almost philosophical: how many should we have before we reach 'plenty already' ?
Then there is the thought that maybe variety is the spice of life.
Then there is the thought that I'm just getting the storage back to normal and have no space.
Then there is the fact there are only 10 left: did someone really buy just 2 ??

My partner asked me the 'plenty' question yesterday, and my response was we need variety in our life.
I have made more space and a wine fridge. Have another 18 coming tomorrow, different wines I am not wholly
familiar with, mainly white. I have far too many robust reds so need to balance this as I am really enjoying white
recently with simple veg dishes.

Bloss

^^ Many years ago I might have chosen Sauv. Blanc, Chardonnay then Riesling in that order. These days it would mostly be the reverse. In fact riesling is the main reason I still drink white.
Less well known varietals can also be interesting, particularly with food that originates from the same place.

That is almost philosophical: how many should we have before we reach 'plenty already' ?
The answer turns out to be ‘three more than I originally thought.’ That’s why there are now only seven left.

And I’ve snapped up the other three bottles of better-than-EP-price 2017 Beaucastel that I flagged up exactly a month ago. I thought if you miserable sods weren’t going to take them, I might as well. Paying monthly into the L&W Cellar Circle is proving to be an excellent way of picking up some good value bottles without credit card pain.

Less well known varietals can also be interesting, particularly with food that originates from the same place.

Ah, like Tesco, you mean?

Plenty... I’ve made it my life’s mission to fill the cellar. My wife’s is to stop me from being so dumb.
In the interim, we get interesting bottles when we spot them, but the pace of drinking remains quite slow. You lot/this thread have helped diversify the stock and the approach.
All good fun!

I looked in the storage space. decided there was no room for any more wine, then ordered another 18 bottles. That's the kinda guy I am. (Dumb as rocks).

Plenty... I’ve made it my life’s mission to fill the cellar. My wife’s is to stop me from being so dumb.
In the interim, we get interesting bottles when we spot them, but the pace of drinking remains quite slow. You lot/this thread have helped diversify the stock and the approach.
All good fun!

It is a peculiar thing that a wife doesn't want to buy them but does want to drink them. Man maths makes it very clear that buying (a lot) in advance saves money.

The answer turns out to be ‘three more than I originally thought.’ That’s why there are now only seven left.

And I’ve snapped up the other three bottles of better-than-EP-price 2017 Beaucastel that I flagged up exactly a month ago. I thought if you miserable sods weren’t going to take them, I might as well. Paying monthly into the L&W Cellar Circle is proving to be an excellent way of picking up some good value bottles without credit card pain.

Ah, like Tesco, you mean?

Come on own up: who bought the last 7 ?
You might want to find out who the new owners of L&W are if you store much with them.
Exactly: Portugal on a plate, Bulgaria in a bowl, Greece in an urn, etc

Come on own up: who bought the last 7 ?
You might want to find out who the new owners of L&W are if you store much with them.
Exactly: Portugal on a plate, Bulgaria in a bowl, Greece in an urn, etc
Seven bottles still there as far as I can see, I bought nos. 3, 4 and 5.

The last time I spoke to a L&W agent she told me who the new owners were. I have of course since forgotten. I don’t store anything with them (or anyone else) though. The capacity of the ancestral cellars acts as a curb on my spending. In theory anyway, I haven’t quite reached it yet.

I’ve acted on your saw that variety is the spice of life. Before buying the Beaucastel/Coudoulet today I bought six bottles of 2015 Gigondas les Pallières yesterday from HoT - a bit of a windfall, but I’m not going to bore you with a rodomontade - and that’s pretty diverse for me, as you well know.

^^ rodomontade ! Learnt a new word. No way I can use it without demonstrating it's meaning though.
How you doing on drinking those 80 bottles ? I've already done half of my 2020s.

^^ rodomontade ! Learnt a new word. No way I can use it without demonstrating it's meaning though.
How you doing on drinking those 80 bottles ? I've already done half of my 2020s.
Two down so far, five queued in the Aldi cooler. No rush.

Arghh I'm trying to get through Dry January without buying (that is what it means right ?) and you keep testing me.
I have only one 2016 Le Volte left and very good VFM they were...

Arghh I'm trying to get through Dry January without buying (that is what it means right ?) and you keep testing me.
I have only one 2016 Le Volte left and very good VFM they were...
Ha. Good, I owed you one following your Father Christmas comment. Plus it was your posts that alerted me to Le Volte to start with, although I haven’t got round to trying any of the (ahem) fifteen bottles yet (told you I had plenty already.) Now we are into a new year, the CT Drink Me score has gone up to 2.14. Not quite as bad as the 2016 Coudoulet at 2.63 - my, it’s a tough life having to keep up...

Last edited:
My local Costco has d'Arenberg "The Dead Arm" for £23.98 a bottle (2014 & 2016 mixed in the same bin), seems to be a good price. I picked up some for special occasions. They also had "The Chocolate Block" but I can't recall the price, £15ish ?

^^ Seems a bit lazy.
If you ask for a bottle opener why not ask room service for a wine glass too. No charge for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back