advertisement

Christmas Wine

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father in law is from Alsace-Lorraine by birth and he introduced me to some great Riesling style whites that I had completely written off. I introduced him to Yorkshire beer in return ;). They're old now so no longer keep up a wine cellar unfortunately.

I second the comments about the Chocolate Block, as a bargain, as an excellent wine, and as one that has seen production increase without a related drop in quality.
They haven’t been through the same issues as Chocolate Block, but if you can spot it, try Brazin. It’s £10-£15 a bottle, Cali Zin (don’t knock it until you try it :)) similar to the Ravenswood equivalent, but a bit fuller and drier (to my taste).

South Africa is on a bit of a roll these days: good place to look for VFM. I agree the 'sweet spot' is £15-30. Meerlust Rubicon is easy to find as another example.
At £7 half the cost is tax/duty then there is the bottle, cork, transport so the actual wine in that bottle is under £3. Above £7 less than half is tax/duty.

Penfolds have wines at various prices from Grange at £500 per bottle, Bin 389 and RWT about £75 - £100 down to Bin 28 £30 with many others within the price range. There are cheaper reds but no of great quality.
Can’t see me buying Penfolds again. Luckily I have a few bottles of Grange and cases of RWT, Bin 389 and 28. All older vintages which would be silly prices now.

Years ago St Henri was £25 and very nice it was too. Should have bought more. About £100 now ! Exchange rate is part of it.
Have a few bottles of 389, 128 and a single bottle of 28.

I remember when Grange was splashed liberally about at trade tastings, long before it went 'cult' and started trading for far more than it was worth. I often used to find the volatile acidity a bit on the high side.

My father in law is from Alsace-Lorraine by birth and he introduced me to some great Riesling style whites that I had completely written off. I introduced him to Yorkshire beer in return ;). They're old now so no longer keep up a wine cellar unfortunately.
I have to say I think you got the best end of that deal. My favourite white wines on the planet (so far.) This one was astonishing. I wanted to give the bottle a hug. (I didn’t of course, it probably would have turned to vinegar instantly.)

And now I'm not buying anything I have to wait more than 5 years to start drinking.
I got a little worried there and had to re-read a few times. Then I realized that whereas I was putting a comma after ‘anything’ you meant it to go after ‘now’, which gives a dramatic change in meaning.
My 'Drink by 2019' are all gone and in fact there are only 4 bottles of 'Drink by 2020'
Eek! Eighty here. Best get started.
That's because you get through it faster than everyone else!
Oi! That’s no way to speak to someone who is still holding on to a fully-wrapped Westvleteren glass for you.

I got a little worried there and had to re-read a few times. Then I realized that whereas I was putting a comma after ‘anything’ you meant it to go after ‘now’, which gives a dramatic change in meaning.

Eek! Eighty here. Best get started.

Ha that would be some detox. Had nothing between Xmas and NYE but overdid those: my usual pattern.
80 ? At your steady jog you could get there in 4 months. There will be so many reasons to need a drink this year.

I second the comments about the Chocolate Block, as a bargain, as an excellent wine, and as one that has seen production increase without a related drop in quality.
They haven’t been through the same issues as Chocolate Block, but if you can spot it, try Brazin. It’s £10-£15 a bottle, Cali Zin (don’t knock it until you try it :)) similar to the Ravenswood equivalent, but a bit fuller and drier (to my taste).

Cali Zin is great. Well I only really know Ridge and highly recommend all their wines.

Agree with you on Ridge, I like it, and have a few bottles too.
However, referencing the discussion on price/value, most Ridge Zin is, what, £40 and up? Is it 4x better than Brazin or Ravenswood at roughly a tenner a bottle? Tough judgement to make, in my opinion.

^^ Geyserville and Lytton Springs have now gone up over £40 thanks to Brexit £. I don't open them for a Saturday night pizza ! But East Bench is about £30 and it is very good too.
Ravenswood also have different wines at different prices.
I've never had Brazin: thanks for the tip.
Of course nothing is 4 times better: the law of diminishing returns works as well in wine as hi fi. As I said the 'sweet spot' is £15-30 and I know I'm lucky that I can spend more if I want to. My limit is about the same (Beaucastel) as Marchbanks for similar reasons.

The Majestic sale has started but caveat emptor as I see Guigal Brune et Blonde at £40 from £45. I bought it at £30 in Waitrose 25% off...
I just happen to remember that one. Others may be genuine bargains of course.

...if you can spot it, try Brazin. It’s £10-£15 a bottle, Cali Zin (don’t knock it until you try it :)) similar to the Ravenswood equivalent, but a bit fuller and drier (to my taste).
Are any of their wines worth a punt, do you think? This one is on offer at Waitrose at the moment, and the additional standard 5% discount for six would make it around £10.70.

Are any of their wines worth a punt, do you think? This one is on offer at Waitrose at the moment, and the additional standard 5% discount for six would make it around £10.70.
That’s the one I’ve tried, and got. I “discovered” it on a BA flight a few years back, then saw it in Waitrose and the Wine Society. Perfectly nice, drinkable Zin.

That’s the one I’ve tried, and got. I “discovered” it on a BA flight a few years back, then saw it in Waitrose and the Wine Society. Perfectly nice, drinkable Zin.
Doh! Offer expired today. Oh well, next time.

The next day: and to add insult to injury a batch of £11 off £70 spend vouchers have arrived.

Last edited:
15% off at House of Townend until January 31. Use code GIFT19 at the checkout. (Disclaimer: check before payment - the code was emailed to me as ‘personal’ but it doesn’t look very personal to me. Further disclaimer: it doesn’t work on reduced wines or Fayne Waynes (those described as such under ‘genre’ in the wine description.) Free delivery over £100 and a further 5% off if you go through Quidco.

Addition: I’ve been browsing their website and came across this. I’d hesitate to call it a bargain at £69/500ml but I’d wager you won’t find it under £100 anywhere else. It will live longer than any of us, and my God will it be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back