advertisement

Christmas Wine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bloody hell, 350ml? I serve beer in glasses that size.
So do I, sometimes! Five minutes of playtime has just shown that my bog-standard House of Fraser wine glasses are exactly the same capacity as my Rochefort beer glass (350ml) but much smaller than, say, my St Sylvestre Bière Nouvelle glass (600ml.) But I’m sure you could use the Riedels for beer as well as wine if you really wanted...

I suppose if I had any entrepreneurial spirit I’d buy a dozen anyway and flog six on eBay at a silly price.

hs4qOo.jpg

B5KKbk.jpg

For context. They are quite small, but excellent from a practical day to day point of view. If you find them too small just go for one of the larger options - the Syrah is much bigger, I think almost twice the capacity, but you won't get it in the washer rack. I think Restaurant Champagne & Wine glass runs to 440ml against the 350ml here, might be the answer, but the stem is still quite long. Cabernet/Merlot is shorter stemmed, but with a bigger bowl. The overall height is the dimension to look for as regards dishwashers, I guess then choose the largest capacity to that limit.

I've got some wonderful wine glasses each glass holds more than a whole 75cl bottle but you wouldn't notice until you stand up.
They haven't been used for over a decade .

^^ I have one of those but don't remember how I got it. Anyway I started pouring wine into it for a laugh until it became quite clear it would take the whole bottle. Not doing that again.

They are quite small, but excellent from a practical day to day point of view. If you find them too small just go for one of the larger options - the Syrah is much bigger, I think almost twice the capacity, but you won't get it in the washer rack.
Thanks. I think I’ll go for those as I have already got a couple of very big Riedels (Ouverture Magnum, maybe?) that I bought when a merchant was clearing them out at £8/pair.

I thought I had a cavalier attitude towards washing up, but obviously not - none of my wine or beer glasses ever go in the dishwasher!

Last edited:
I've broken far more of the bloody things handwashing them than I ever have using the dishwasher.

I've got some Vinum Burgundy glasses at home, beautiful things that I wouldn't dream of putting in the dishwasher, but I very rarely use them.

If you're holding swish dinner parties the Vinums are lovely because they have longer stems, better 'presence' in the table dressing. But they retail at £25 a shot, which is a bit toppy for me.

^^ now is your chance : Amazon have them at 2 for £31.50. Still best leave the handwashing until after breakfast...

I never dishwasher wine glasses, even my cheap ones.

They go grey over time.

Don't we all. Funnily enough, our really cheap wine glasses (of which three remain from the original six) have survived multiple dishwasher, er, washes, without going grey, but I wouldn't dare put any of our 'best' wineglasses in there, though hand-washing them isn't exactly risk-free, either.

^^ now is your chance : Amazon have them at 2 for £31.50. Still best leave the handwashing until after breakfast...

I used to stock them, but I leave it to Amazon and John Lewis now. I have been keeping Nude glasses, which start at £12 for two, up to £40. I prefer the £12 ones. They're made in Turkey.

I never dishwasher wine glasses, even my cheap ones.

They go grey over time.

The glass in my photo above is at least 12 years old, used daily and usually machine washed. I have never had Riedels go cloudy. We wash a lot of glasses. I used to be quite precious about them, but not so much now, just get them clean and dry, and put them away.

Turkey and wine is an interesting story. Despite the best efforts of Mr Erdogan (banned all alcohol advertising, promotional events, tastings etc) Turkey produces several drinkable wines. Which is fortunate as imported wines would leave a large hole in your holiday budget.
Calling the wine glasses Nudes might be some sort of revenge.

Jesus!

Your second link is to the 'first' wine, Blason is the second wine. Nevertheless...

My reading of google info is that Blason is not connected to Haut Brion at all. In fact I think there was a court case over the name for years.
The second wine of Haut Brion is Le Clarence de Haut Brion.

My reading of google info is that Blason is not connected to Haut Brion at all. In fact I think there was a court case over the name for years.
The second wine of Haut Brion is Le Clarence de Haut Brion.

Just can't trust those 'experts'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back