advertisement

Christmas Wine

Status
Not open for further replies.
At ex~cellars prices from the UK agent for Perrin, which I have, the wine should retail at £28 to £30. £15 represents well under normal cost price, though Sainsbury will have forced a 'deal' to get the price this low. I tasted it earlier this year, and though I don't have my notes to hand, I recall it as being lovely. Certainly we'll worth filling yer boots and losing it somewhere for a year or two.

Why does UK agent sell under cost price ? Has Sinards not sold that well and they are over-stocked ? Or is it packaged with some other wines that have proved hard to shift ?

Anyone interested in splitting a box of Riedel Restaurant Old World Syrah glasses? They are a lot cheaper than the standard ranges but as they are aimed at the catering trade they are sold in dozens, which is more than I would need - I hope - for a very long time. I calculate six glasses would cost you £31.85 plus onward postage from me by the courier/timescale/insurance level of your choice.

And here’s another thought - are there any other users of Cellar Tracker who would like to exchange monikers by pm? I thought it might be interesting and useful to see what others kept and liked. Always good to receive new ideas and recommendations, etc. etc.

The problem with normal fridges for long term storage (even if you can get the temperature up near 13 oC which I doubt) is that they minimize humidity and the corks dry out. If you use one perhaps keep a bowl of water in there.
Yes, I was thinking about it as simply an insulated box, without turning it on. The garage is cool anyway and attached to the house, so it's never bitterly cold in winter (though cold enough) and never very hot as it has one small window facing east and is shaded from the south by the neighbour. A redundant fridge would slow down the temperature cycling very effectively.

Why does UK agent sell under cost price ? Has Sinards not sold that well and they are over-stocked ? Or is it packaged with some other wines that have proved hard to shift ?

The deal would be between Sainsbury and Perrin, with the agent (actually a part of the BBR group) acting as broker. I guess they (Perrin) must have surplus stocks. It's the basis upon which the French 'grandes surfaces' run their annual foires aux vins, they act as a useful clearer of excess stocks. Great for the customer, not so much for the already beleaguered small indie wine merchant here.

When the supermarkets do their gondola end type discounts, it isn't the supermarket that pays, it's the supplier.

Yes, I was thinking about it as simply an insulated box, without turning it on. The garage is cool anyway and attached to the house, so it's never bitterly cold in winter (though cold enough) and never very hot as it has one small window facing east and is shaded from the south by the neighbour. A redundant fridge would slow down the temperature cycling very effectively.

I find that old fridges get a bit damp and musty/mouldy, though may work. It probably just make up a cupboard using some celotex or similar to insulate it as suggested above.

Anyone interested in splitting a box of Riedel Restaurant Old World Syrah glasses? They are a lot cheaper than the standard ranges but as they are aimed at the catering trade they are sold in dozens, which is more than I would need - I hope - for a very long time. I calculate six glasses would cost you £31.85 plus onward postage from me by the courier/timescale/insurance level of your choice.

I use the restaurant glasses (just the basic, used to be called Ouveture Red Wine) as my all-purpose glass, nicely shaped bowl, fine but not so fine that it breaks if you look at it, and a stem that's short enough to fit into the glass rack of a standard domestic dishwasher. The Syrah has a larger bowl size I think, might make it too big for the washer.

The deal would be between Sainsbury and Perrin, with the agent (actually a part of the BBR group) acting as broker. I guess they (Perrin) must have surplus stocks. It's the basis upon which the French 'grandes surfaces' run their annual foires aux vins, they act as a useful clearer of excess stocks. Great for the customer, not so much for the already beleaguered small indie wine merchant here.

When the supermarkets do their gondola end type discounts, it isn't the supermarket that pays, it's the supplier.

I find it a peculiar way to damage your own brand. I would understand it if the wine in question was at 'drink it up' stage, but Sinards should be getting better (ie more valuable) over the next few years. Anyway good for us consumers as you say.
It would be better for all concerned to set a more realistic price from the get go than have it at £25 one minute and then £15 the next.

I agree. The damage extends to more than just the brand too. The big Champagne houses have been playing this game for years, to their detriment.

Indeed it is, and the same with food. You have to tell them when you will run your annual promotions and fund them accordingly.

I find it a peculiar way to damage your own brand.
It may be, but you get no choice. With the large retailers, if you don't pay then you don't play.

I find that old fridges get a bit damp and musty/mouldy, though may work. It probably just make up a cupboard using some celotex or similar to insulate it as suggested above.
That's probably the better suggestion. I have a cupboard with racking in, if I put an insulated panel in the aperture it would do the job for what I want. It's not as if I have a bottle of 1949 Yquem sitting there.

I use the restaurant glasses (just the basic, used to be called Ouveture Red Wine) as my all-purpose glass, nicely shaped bowl, fine but not so fine that it breaks if you look at it, and a stem that's short enough to fit into the glass rack of a standard domestic dishwasher. The Syrah has a larger bowl size I think, might make it too big for the washer.

If anyone would rather split a dozen of the Ouverture Red Wine I think I would be able to pass six on for £29.94 + onward postage. It’s a different supplier though, so I’d have to double-check they’d be prepared to sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back