advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think either of those Tsantali Nemea or Naoussa offerings are particularly interesting, but they could give you an idea of what an entry level Xinomavro or Agiorgitiko tastes like, when made by a competent winery like Tsantali. I tasted both at a wine fair in Athens in 2015: they didn't knock my socks off but were OK. I don't know the others but would tend to avoid. Tsantali makes much better wines than those.

I've had 2 bottles of 2008 Alpha One in the wine fridge since 2015, waiting to put some "cellar" time on them and open them for a special occasion. I live in hope but have no actual experience of the wine. The reviews are good (plus a label on the wine says Mr Parker has estimated it as a 91, doh). It looks as if the formula has changed, as the ones I have are 100% Merlot. I'm also waiting for my more ordinary Merlot/Syrah/Xinomavro 2011 blends to get rounded by age, as I found them a little underwhelming when last tasted 5 years ago.

On the subject of Greek wines, which I may explore a bit, here's the best of

Press-Release-ENGLISH-The-Great-moment-for-the-Greek-wine-has-arrived-OCTOBER-5.pdf (greatgreekwines.com)

And here's a UK supplier

Wines Archives - Aspris

On cellar tracker Kechris Tear of the Pine Retsina seems to do well -- my doctor sings the praises of Retsina (he's a Greek!) so I'm keen to try. Doctor's orders you know.

After suffering 5 1/2 hours of atrocious motorway driving (not all by me) any wine in any glass tastes good. Oops, looks like I fished the wrong cork from the bin to ram in the bottle last night...

20230324195026-7ab5db4e.jpg

Thanks, don't mind if I do. I'll pass on the breakfast though. No offence...

^^ I have a few Alpha Xinomavro Reserve Vielles Vignes 2012. Not sure if it is the same as 'Barba Yannis' No3 in that list but I certainly rate it higher than CT does ! Finally at their best over next few years I think...

On the subject of Greek wines, which I may explore a bit, here's the best of

Press-Release-ENGLISH-The-Great-moment-for-the-Greek-wine-has-arrived-OCTOBER-5.pdf (greatgreekwines.com)

And here's a UK supplier

Wines Archives - Aspris

On cellar tracker Kechris Tear of the Pine Retsina seems to do well -- my doctor sings the praises of Retsina (he's a Greek!) so I'm keen to try. Doctor's orders you know.
It looks like an excellent list. I don't know the individual wines/vintages but the wine makers are well known.
Grab the Papaioannou Mikroklima if you ever see it in the UK. Lovely wine.

20230325181850-33730142-la.jpg

i.php

This diptych is entitled ‘Before and After Marchbanks.’

Thumbs up to Decántalo - an order placed on Tuesday was waiting for me at the local florist here in France today. It was sent in a Decántalo box from a different - French - merchant with whom I’ve dealt before. But the wine doesn’t appear on their list. I don’t think I’ll ever understand globalisation.

i.php

Thumbs up to Decántalo - an order placed on Tuesday was waiting for me at the local florist here in France today. It was sent in a Decántalo box from a different - French - merchant with whom I’ve dealt before. But the wine doesn’t appear on their list. I don’t think I’ll ever understand globalisation.
You, Sir, are a man of action.

That's Parker for you.What do I know?

They may well have backed off since. For me simple southern Rhone Grenache just doesn't work with new oak, less still oak chips. These things come in and out of fashion. I must taste it again, in fact Roger Sabon's UK importers have their portfolio tasting this week.

That Guigal ordinaire is a nice cheap everyday wine that never disappoints.
Good choice.

With a couple hundred million bottles of CdR annually someone's got to drink it.I know the pilgrim does his bit.
Bit younger than I would like but ...

Last edited:
That Guigal ordinaire is a nice cheap everyday wine that never disappoints.
Good choice.
I was trying to think of the first vintage I tasted. I have a horrible feeling it was as far back as 1978. I definitely remember driving round the south-west of London scouring Oddbins branches for 1983s.

My Cruzelles box set has just been delivered. I’m very tempted to open this one tonight. I’ll go for a long walk now and see if anyone has told me I’m an idiot - sorry, I’ll rephrase that - see if anyone has told me not to by the time I get back.

i.php

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back