advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve decided to terminate my birthday bottle sub-thread early. No-one else seems particularly interested, and that’s fair enough - it was rather presumptuous of me to assume that others would care about my self-indulgence. In addition, I’ll probably enjoy the wine more if I don’t have to make up some rubbish to write!

So here’s a group shot of eight of the remaining twelve. The other four are TBC, but probably a Huet, a Burn VT, a Montus La Tyre and a l’Aurage. Cheers!

52151973672_5bfafedb8b_z.jpg
[/QU

OTE]

We all enjoy your write ups! By all means enjoy but don't feel shy to share if you feel the urge.

Perrin Côtes du Ventoux is another that gets my vote, esp. at this price. (Warning - dealing with this merchant is sometimes straightforward, sometimes as aggravating as hell. Everything has worked for me eventually though. So far.)

Well I opened a bottle yesterday and thought it was undrinkable. And then I noticed that it is 2021, not the 2018/19 ordered. So I have two questions:

1. How long does it need in the cellar?
2. What should I do with the opened bottle? Cook with it or throw it down the drain?

I'm pretty angry about this. I've contacted the seller but so far no response. Hopefully I'll get a refund, in any event I used paypal.

^ from what I understand Simplywinesdirect source from others. It could be bad storage. I wouldn't buy from them.

It should be drinkable from the off, though a year or two in the cellar shouldn't do it any harm. Sounds like a duff bottle.

Well I know that there's something wrong because it has a quality which Marchbanks hates: there's a marked taste of oak barrels. The taste has three layers -- wood, extreme sourness and slight bitterness. I don't want to open another bottle to check until I've reached an agreement with the seller.

Certainly doesn't sound right. I've drunk a fair bit of it over the years, though not recently. It is quite distinctive - dark, richly fruited, with a plummy sweetness. There can be sour elements too, but not assertive, and oxidative notes. It is undoubtedly quite rustic, and a bit raw when it is young. I very much doubt that it sees any wood, and if it does it would be old, not young.

It isn't really a wine I would choose to drink now, more an autumn/winter weight wine, to drink with a rich stew.

I agree with eternumviti, it definitely sounds like a bad (oxidised/heat damaged) bottle. Maybe the ‘woody’ taste is really mustiness disguised by the other unpleasantnesses? The question is why, and are the others the same? I had a similar problem with six bottles of Jaboulet Crozes twenty years ago. Three tasted like yours, so I sent the fourth (unopened) back to France. They agreed it was faulty, blaming ‘storage or transport’. They replaced four, ignoring the fact I had bought six. Bastards. The last two were, of course, just as bad.

A proper bottle of this stuff tastes to me like a more rustic Pigeoulet.

I recently decided to check on my basic Guigal Côtes du Rhône red (2016). Having bought a dozen a couple of years ago, I had tasted one (or three) and put the rest to age a bit more: the wine was fine but didn't knock my socks off. The same thing happened this time: after airing it (decanter) for half an hour and swishing it around a bit, we had a couple of glasses. OK but unremarkable. As we had to go abroad for a week the next day, I Vacuvined the remaining half bottle and stuck it in the fridge.

A week later, we pulled the bottle out of the fridge with no great hopes, let it get to 18C, and really enjoyed it: much richer nose, all sorts of subtle and not-so-subtle notes when tasting that were either not there a week before or completely missed by us. An amazing difference. Temporary conclusion: Guigal's basic 2016 CdR needs a lot more time in the cellar, and serious decanting/airing before drinking to bring out what it can offer.

I believe you.

Blockbuster of a rosé almost glows in the dark.
Burnt orange this has the intensity of most reds .
A complex wine.

52147526415_2973fd9383_z.jpg

2001 Lafaurie-Peyraguey. Robert Parker gives it 96 (which I think these days means ‘pretty good’) but Neal Martin (who he?) only gives it 92 (I think that translates as ‘barely worth getting your corkscrew out’.)

RP says ‘full-bodied, opulent, enormously endowed’ and NM reckons ‘medium-bodied with a viscous opening.’ Blimey, Freud would have a field day with these sexually-repressed wine critics.

Neal also believes there is ‘great tension here’ so I spoke to it softly in an attempt to relax it before pulling the cork. It seemed to work, because it’s rather fine. Basically liquid Seville marmalade with a bit of honey and grapefruit. That may not sound like the sort of wine you want to drink, and indeed I wouldn’t want to every night. But suitably chilled it’s a beautiful thing to sip with and after some Blacksticks Blue and runny Brie, sitting outside on a warm night listening to Dr John singing lasciviously about Brain Salad. (I’m sure Robert and Neal would get excited by that.)
I had a bottle of this way back in the early 90s. If I recall correctly (which is unlikely) I shared it with some friends on a picnic. It certainly attracted the wasps!

I recently decided to check on my basic Guigal Côtes du Rhône red (2016). Having bought a dozen a couple of years ago, I had tasted one (or three) and put the rest to age a bit more: the wine was fine but didn't knock my socks off. The same thing happened this time: after airing it (decanter) for half an hour and swishing it around a bit, we had a couple of glasses. OK but unremarkable. As we had to go abroad for a week the next day, I Vacuvined the remaining half bottle and stuck it in the fridge.

A week later, we pulled the bottle out of the fridge with no great hopes, let it get to 18C, and really enjoyed it: much richer nose, all sorts of subtle and not-so-subtle notes when tasting that were either not there a week before or completely missed by us. An amazing difference. Temporary conclusion: Guigal's basic 2016 CdR needs a lot more time in the cellar, and serious decanting/airing before drinking to bring out what it can offer.

I’ve felt much the same about 2016 Coudoulet so far. I see I’ve drunk three bottles, in 7/20, 3/21 and 10/21. I still have over a dozen left, and I’m going to wait for a bit. I’m in much the same situation with the Guigal too. But I’m still chuffing my way through the 2015s... They do seem to have a remarkably long life for generic CdRs!

Marchbanks Sir,
You’re in a better position, as I have no 2015 (Guigal or other CdR) around, and only 6-8* of the 2016 that apparently can’t be drunk for another few years: as my dear wife points out, what’s the point of having all those bottles in the wine fridge if we can’t drink them? The answer is obvious: need another mosey up the Rhône soon.

*(Some vagueness in qties as record keeping and cellar organization here are a lot sloppier than in your establishment: congratulations to your able sommelier).

*(Some vagueness in qties as record keeping and cellar organization here are a lot sloppier than in your establishment: congratulations to your able sommelier).
I definitely wouldn’t have been able to tell you stuff like that before I started using CT!

As it doesn’t seem right for a confused, feeble OAP (six days to go before I turn into one) to have to descend the rickety, woodworm-infested steps into the cellar and brave the flock of dive-bombing bats with only a candle to light the way, I have in fact arranged to engage a sommelier. He will be making his way down from his current employer in the North East at the end of the month using a relay of pfm’ers, friends and relations that I have thoughtfully laid on for him. With any luck he will know the ropes by the time I return from my birthday celebrations in France in mid-July. And hopefully he will also have sorted out some of the more subversive elements in the staff. Watch this space.

Reactions: PsB
Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back