advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.

If there was an AOC "across the road from" this would surely qualify.Just across the road from
Griottes-Chambertin,but perhaps that's giving too much away.Lovely bouquet , beautiful fruit and length.
Arlaud Roncevie Bourgogne rouge 2018.

Last edited:
We all enjoy your write ups! By all means enjoy but don't feel shy to share if you feel the urge.

OK then. I wasn’t being huffy, I genuinely thought I might have pissed people off because they thought I was being ostentatious (I wasn’t - or at least I wasn’t trying to be, it really is simply an attempt to celebrate a landmark in my life in a suitable fashion.)

This is no. 4. I think the label is legible, even though I went for the pretty sunset.

52158690086_caa851dae3_z.jpg

An Ernest Burn, and the best wine so far IMO, which won’t surprise anyone. You get the Riesling to begin with, then the acidity builds, it is counteracted by the sweetness and finishes with a soothing richness. Utterly glorious. It really is a crying shame you can’t buy these wines in the UK - if you ever go to France you owe it to yourself to find some of them. Any of them. Really you do, trust me.

Last edited:
OK then. I wasn’t being huffy, I genuinely thought I might have pissed people off if they thought I was being ostentatious (I wasn’t - or at least I wasn’t trying to be, it really is just a way of celebrating a landmark in my life in the best way I could think of.)

This is no. 4. I think the label is legible, even though I went for the pretty sunset.

52158690086_caa851dae3_z.jpg

An Ernest Burn, and the best wine so far IMO, which won’t surprise anyone. You get the Riesling to begin with, then the acidity builds, it is counteracted by the sweetness and finishes with a soothing richness. Utterly glorious. It really is a crying shame you can’t buy these wines in the UK - if you ever go to France you owe it to yourself to find some of them. Any of them. Really you do, trust me.
Welcome back.
I salute your indefatigability.
Brilliant foto.

52161241308_0a3e15efc2_z.jpg

No 5. Jacky Blot is obviously a genius. He can do red, white and fizz and they are all wonderful. This is his middle-ranking Bourgeuil, 100% CF (as they all are.) I would have guessed a pretty classy right bank claret - although the CF is obvious there’s a sweet fragrance that would have made me think it was a merlot blend. Really excellent, I’d have no hesitation recommending it.

Calais Vins (a Blot stockist) have spotted my upcoming birthday and have offered me 7% off everything until the beginning of July. I’ll be stocking up there at the weekend. More Blot offerings to follow very soon...

Tonight this is being paired with Paul McCartney’s Run Devil Run - a belated tribute to him on his 80th. I’ve been banging on about my 66th non-stop, but his is obviously 14 louder. RDR is probably the only record of his that I have enjoyed in the last 30 years - although I admit I haven’t bothered listening out for many. It’s terrific - a great band (Gilmour, Mick Green, Ian Paice) and Macca sings the old R’n’R numbers as if his life depended on it. Thanks for everything, Paul!

We’ve enjoyed our Vinatis mixed case so far. I chose based on what I thought I’d like and the Suckling and Parker scores. I usually buy from supermarket ranges or from vineyards when we’re in France. Anyone recommend other suppliers/merchants that they’ve been happy with?

We’ve enjoyed our Vinatis mixed case so far. I chose based on what I thought I’d like and the Suckling and Parker scores. I usually buy from supermarket ranges or from vineyards when we’re in France. Anyone recommend other suppliers/merchants that they’ve been happy with?
I still buy a good deal of mine from French supermarkets, wine fairs and online merchants, although sadly I haven’t had a chance to visit a vineyard in years. In the UK I mainly stick to L&W, the Wine Soc and Waitrose Cellar during their 25% off periods. L&W is perhaps prohibitive in terms of delivery cost until you are a member of their Cellar Circle (£100/month subscription) then it’s free. You can of course call that £100 drinking money, investment money, or a combination of the two! And there are all sorts of other little perks to being a CC member that I’m still discovering - send a bottle to someone else (free), buy stuff in bond at other merchants and have it ‘transferred’ to your L&W account (often free), have them store it (good value) and withdraw it a bottle or two at a time as you wish (free again - once you’ve paid the duty and VAT, obvs.) A neat way of getting round other merchants’ delivery charges.

52165087587_85e9f102ba.jpg

The second step up the Mitjavile ladder, at least in terms of what I paid. I’m not differentiating between père et fils here, and this was about £35 when A. Client wanted to dump it at L&W. It’s a 75% Merlot, 25% CF Côtes de Bourg, and it is great stuff. Loads of concentrated fruit, not overly tannic, and it took me a while to spot the oak, so it’s obviously not excessive. Jancis would probably say ‘integrated.’ Can’t wait for the following instalment.

Talking of instalments I listened to the last of Vivian’s Radio Flashes tonight. Enough warm nights to complete the series before the end of June - marvellous! I’ll probably have another listen before the autumn. Beard was knotted in tribute, and I think he might have appreciated the paisley waistcoat/bow tie combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back