advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bird now boned, stuffed and trussed. I got a couple of this for the main based on a Decanter review so here’s hoping.

Bird now boned, stuffed and trussed. I got a couple of this for the main based on a Decanter review so here’s hoping.

when we did eat red meat, that was our wine of choice, in fact still got 2 or 3 in the fridges and good till 2025 or thereabouts

One of my favourite go to reds, consistently very good. I picked up 6 in Tesco a couple of weeks ago which worked out at £9.75 a bottle with Clubcard discounts! It was rude not to. Actually, we’re having lasagne this evening so will probably see off a couple, lovely.

@blossomchris That’s encouraging, thanks. 30 years ago I’d read voraciously (from expensive books) and got to know a fair bit about wine but really can’t be arsed now so rely on the popular tasting site recommendations. Sometimes I wonder what all the fuss was about but usually there’s something I’m glad I tried. I also enjoy reading @Marchbanks posts. He reminds me of how enthusiastic I used to be. Maybe I’ll get it back one day.

When I was travelling regularly to the Pacific North West this was my go-to wine at one of the hotels at which I used to regularly stay. It's an excellent choice and thanks for reminding me that I should acquire some more for home.

By coincidence I have just put out some of Antinori's lesser Brunello di Montalcino (Pian delle Vigne 2015) to accompany the duck tomorrow. It may need a Vigorous Decant (where did I hear that before?) to be at its best right now. We shall see.

@blossomchris That’s encouraging, thanks. 30 years ago I’d read voraciously (from expensive books) and got to know a fair bit about wine but really can’t be arsed now so rely on the popular tasting site recommendations. Sometimes I wonder what all the fuss was about but usually there’s something I’m glad I tried. I also enjoy reading @Marchbanks posts. He reminds me of how enthusiastic I used to be. Maybe I’ll get it back one day.

for me i think a lot of it is still bollocks, seeing as everyone's tastes buds differ. i do not want to keep buying the same old dull wines, there is a big world of countries producing excellent wines, try Mexican, Sicilian, Greek and S.America, even found a great Bolivian, variety for us is the spice of life.

I'm perfectly happy with dull wines.

Recommendations about wine are surely no different to recommendations about books, music, films, or whatever. Of course everyone has different tastes, but it soon becomes clear whether person A's recommendations hit the spot (or fail to) wrt to your own tastes. There are only two exceptions to this; Shakespeare's plays and The Beatles' music. Anyone who dislikes either is clearly deficient in taste, and anyone who dislikes both is probably clinically dead.

Reactions: mjw
I thought it was just about people talking about
wines they enjoyed.If you want to check it out then
you may or may not.

I'm perfectly happy with dull wines.

Recommendations about wine are surely no different to recommendations about books, music, films, or whatever. Of course everyone has different tastes, but it soon becomes clear whether person A's recommendations hit the spot (or fail to) wrt to your own tastes. There are only two exceptions to this; Shakespeare's plays and The Beatles' music. Anyone who dislikes either is clearly deficient in taste, and anyone who dislikes both is probably clinically dead.

i hate them both, much more than Coldplay. and how many times have you read these reviews for art, music, grub etc, bought in and then find you do not like it.

I thought it was just about people talking about
wines they enjoyed.If you want to check it out then
you may or may not.
It’s just semantics really, isn’t it. If I buy a bottle of wine because you say you like it, then AFAIC you have recommended it. If I don’t like it, there is no blame attached to you, we simply have different tastes, and I bear that in mind the next time you say you like something.

It’s just semantics really, isn’t it. If I buy a bottle of wine because you say you like it, then AFAIC you have recommended it. If I don’t like it, there is no blame attached to you, we simply have different tastes, and I bear that in mind the next time you say you like something.
Likewise.
I won't be rushing out to buy Les Darons by Jeff Carrel.
Megaphone well that's different.

Likewise.
I won't be rushing out to buy Les Darons by Jeff Carrel.
Megaphone well that's different.
I’m with you there on both counts. Sadly I still have a couple of the first despite a Christmas raffle or two having benefited from my largesse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back