advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does it work? Don't know. But I do know the tastes of most of the posters here by now and weight them accordingly. He likes oak more than I do, etc. But we obviously have different ideas on what the thread is here for, and neither of us is completely right or wrong. No problem. I'm not going to get into an argument about it, there are plenty of other threads to do that on if I want. (I don't.)

wine guru it is then

I'm sure most here realise how fortunate we are.
sitting here bummin about plonk.

Wee oat milk flat white n mince pie.

That sounds like my daughter. She doesn't often bake, but when she does, we know about it. I'm a 'clean up as you go' bloke when cooking, her approach is more 'leave it alone, it'll tidy itself up'.

Interesting wine at lunch time, from the Tejo vineyards in Portugal:

iu

Alfrocheiro and Touriga Nacional grapes apparently... new to me. Gougoule tells me that Alfrocheiro = Baboso Negro in Spain, not that I've ever heard of that either, and that Touriga is used mostly for Port but increasingly for normal red wine.

The wine was very pleasant and a good match with our food (Karelian beef and pork stew). High alcohol content (14%). Good nose with lots of red fruit. The taste was chunky but not cloying, and well, different in a good way. The 12 months in French oak were noticeable but not overwhelming. Reasonably long finish. Overall, somewhere between a 3 and a 4 out of 5.

Like many other places, Portugal produces good wines these days but they price accordingly. At 15 to 18 euros on line, it is not cheap but maybe still reasonable value, just about. I would buy a few more if I could find them regularly, mostly for the curiosity of these 2 varieties.

Interesting wine at lunch time, from the Tejo vineyards in Portugal:

iu

Alfrocheiro and Touriga Nacional grapes apparently... new to me. Gougoule tells me that Alfrocheiro = Baboso Negro in Spain, not that I've ever heard of that either, and that Touriga is used mostly for Port but increasingly for normal red wine.

The wine was very pleasant and a good match with our food (Karelian beef and pork stew). High alcohol content (14%). Good nose with lots of red fruit. The taste was chunky but not cloying, and well, different in a good way. The 12 months in French oak were noticeable but not overwhelming. Reasonably long finish. Overall, somewhere between a 3 and a 4 out of 5.

Like many other places, Portugal produces good wines these days but they price accordingly. At 15 to 18 euros on line, it is not cheap but maybe still reasonable value, just about. I would buy a few more if I could find them regularly, mostly for the curiosity of these 2 varieties.
I'll go out an a limb here and say would that be a 3.5?

I prefer to think of it as a weak 4. Or maybe a strong 3.
Parker probably started on his slippery slope to centimetric precision by intercalating a half point here and there.

I prefer to think of it as a weak 4. Or maybe a strong 3.
Parker probably started on his slippery slope to centimetric precision by intercalating a half point here and there.

In practise the infamous RP scale is really only 75-100, so similar to 14-20 with half points. Wish I had a schnoz more accurate than Yuk, Bof, Good or Wow.
I'll need to do more reading about him but if he, as an American, shook up the cosy 1980s world of wine and called out some famous but astringent (particularly bordeaux) bottles he wasn't all bad. He may have gone too far down that road ... or perhaps some winemakers charged ahead trying to pre-empt him...
edit on the plus side he championed south Rhône, Alsace and Italy. And we share a birth date.

Reactions: PsB
Yes, he certainly shook things up and moved them along. I just don’t know how he or his people decide whether this red cab is an 88 whereas this white Sauvignon is an 87. But then that’s their business and they have the high grade schnozzle + memory for it.

Not really a fan. I get a little queasy when I see how much influence one man and his operation has...

‘2019 Jaboulet Hermitage La Chapelle is close to the 100 points from the Wine Advocate, which has initially awarded a score of 98-100 points.

‘This could potentially make the 2019 Jaboulet Hermitage La Chapelle the only fourth vintage in the series to reach the magical 3-digit number, and should this happen, it would have a major impact on the price – almost overnight.’

https://www.rarewineinvest.com/news...hands-on-2019-jaboulet-hermitage-la-chapelle/

Wish I had a schnoz more accurate than Yuk, Bof, Good or Wow.
The Marchbanks scale is way more nuanced than that. You left out ‘Oh, man...’

Yes, he certainly shook things up and moved them along. I just don’t know how he or his people decide whether this red cab is an 88 whereas this white Sauvignon is an 87. But then that’s their business and they have the high grade schnozzle + memory for it.

I think red cabs are graded against other red cabs and white sauvignon against other white sauvignon.
My problem is the grey area of whether there is a single global scale or individual country scales ? ie is a 91 Pinot Noir from New Zealand the same as a 91 burgundy ? I think not, so is it a 90 or an 89 ? ... And is that constant or vary year to year...surely it has to vary depending on weather ?

I’ve been a Gennaro Contaldo fan-boy for years and will make a Christmas lunch based on his Italian Year book. For dessert I’m attempting his zuccotto di panettone and to complement I found a dusty old half of 2011 botrytis semillon in the bottom of the pantry. It has the potential to be very pleasant.

Not really a fan. I get a little queasy when I see how much influence one man and his operation has...

‘2019 Jaboulet Hermitage La Chapelle is close to the 100 points from the Wine Advocate, which has initially awarded a score of 98-100 points.
‘This could potentially make the 2019 Jaboulet Hermitage La Chapelle the only fourth vintage in the series to reach the magical 3-digit number, and should this happen, it would have a major impact on the price – almost overnight.’

https://www.rarewineinvest.com/news...hands-on-2019-jaboulet-hermitage-la-chapelle/

The Marchbanks scale is way more nuanced than that. You left out ‘Oh, man...’

Well RP has retired and no one will have that clout again.

The Jaboulet is £150 a bottle and maybe it was £100 so it really doesn't matter to us mortals. When they give Brun/Burn 100 points is the time to panic.

Can't bring myself to use "Oh , man..": too American and ambiguous isn't it ? I'm stopping at "Wow" for now, although I'll try to think of something 'cooler' that doesn't include an expletive.

I’ve been a Gennaro Contaldo fan-boy for years and will make a Christmas lunch based on his Italian Year book. For dessert I’m attempting his zuccotto di panettone and to complement I found a dusty old half of 2011 botrytis semillon in the bottom of the pantry. It has the potential to be very pleasant.

Looking up the recipe it calls for Vin Santo.
What are you making it with?

Well RP has retired and no one will have that clout again.

The Jaboulet is £150 a bottle and maybe it was £100 so it really doesn't matter to us mortals. When they give Brun/Burn 100 points is the time to panic.
Weeeelll... when you see a number of French online merchants’ websites where ‘Parker! 91!’ takes up more space than the picture of the bottle, you feel there’s still a fair bit of clout there. Of course to hedge their bets they add ‘Dunnock! 90!’ and ‘Robinson! 15.5!’ If you look very carefully you can sometimes see what it is they are selling.

Parker did indeed lionise Ernest Burn, shortly after I discovered their wines myself (thanks to a Dutch wine writer whose name escapes me. But it has u’s, i’s and j’s in it, often next to each other.) Demand outstripped supply, prices went up steeply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back