advertisement

Chris Frankland

His beliefs have to a large degree and so therefore I suppose has his relevance to many.

Has he died or something?

Well yes, as far as hifi is concerned...he gave up the unequal struggle and turned to photography some time ago... but there seems to be a growing groundswell of support for his views, particularly as vinyl comes back into fashion (albeit expensively)

Did he write for Hi Fi Answers? I think he did.

I loved that magazine and couldnt wait to get the new issue. That magazine set people on the right path and I see nothing wrong in championing British products.

It clearly helped people with their Comet seperates (some of it wasnt half bad) get on the road to Rega, Heybrook and other decent equipment

It told people to get up the turntable ladder as fast as possible if it meant partnering it with a budget amp. Totally correct advice as getting that low rumble bearing on the Linn was a key factor. Pointless spending on the rest until source fundamentals are right. Source first is absolutely right.

They didnt knock every Japanese product and the letters pages was full of advice to keep the pioneer/trio amp for example and spend on another link in the chain.

I dont think the flat earth approach was as blinkered as some make it out to be. It gave good advice as every price point.

Then again Hi fi answers was at a sensible level that I related to. I never really liked the snotty high end mags which get too far up their own rectums.

Absolutely, and echoed by many of us of a certain generation.

You make it sound like he is a religious or philosophical leader. alarm bells ring.

I dimly recall "flat earth", I think it has a lot to answer for the kinds of entrenchment we see in this thread that pops up every few months or so.

I don't know who he is!

Vereker enabler in chief and High Priest of the Cult of St Julian, when not moonlighting as Grand Wazoo of The Church of The Holy Ivor...

The resulting schisms, crusades and inter-necine disputes haunt the world to this day...

I agree in that the Flat Earth movement appeared to change audio from a hobby into a religion.

You make it sound like he is a religious or philosophical leader. alarm bells ring.

I dimly recall "flat earth", I think it has a lot to answer for the kinds of entrenchment we see in this thread that pops up every few months or so.

I tried it and found it to be good. But it does depend on what you want. If you like the sound of high end speakers with a mid-level source then more power to you. I prefer it the other way around. The cost will likely be the same.

I don't know what I prefer. I have what I have, it does what it does and it is what it is in a room that lets it do its job as advertised. I have no real idea what I prefer, until I compare and I don't need a philosophy, the people that do have or need it is why this thread spun off into ego-land.

I like what I have. I feel very lucky in some ways to be where I am and constantly feel I don't deserve any of it, so everything in life is a bonus, chasing unicorns in other fields.

In terms of Chris Frankland, I went right off him and his ideas when his response to a reader who'd written in to one of his magazines to say he preferred his Dual turntable to an LP12 was 'Clearly your ears aren't ready to hear true hifi' (or words to that effect). It summed up the whole arrogant, dogmatic, 'we know best' attitude of the flat earth (funda)mentalist.

Laptop and pair of active monitors, if you already have a laptop that 0 coins, 10 coins, I might save a coin for room measurement/treatment.
Keith.

I don't know what I prefer. I have what I have, it does what it does and it is what it is in a room that lets it do its job as advertised. I have no real idea what I prefer, until I compare and I don't need a philosophy, the people that do have or need it is why this thread spun off into ego-land.

I like what I have. I feel very lucky in some ways to be where I am and constantly feel I don't deserve any of it, so everything in life is a bonus, chasing unicorns in other fields.

You're lucky! Most of chase and are never satisfied...

Of course it all comes down to pound shillings and pence. Everybody wants to get the best value for their budget and be happy forever - as far as hifi is concerned, for me, satisfaction has mostly come from putting the source first - with a budget of 10 coins I would spend 5 on source, 3 on amp and 2 on speakers. Others' mileage may vary - you need to experiment and find out what's best for you. The flat earthers' tagline was 'if it sounds better it is better'. Pretty sound avice really.

Actually CF was a big admirer of Dual turntables - regarding them as the best at their price range

Well, that wasn't clear in his reply to the reader's letter. I'd have been fine with him saying 'I disagree, the LP12 is better', but his reply came across as patronising and condescending.

I tried it and found it to be good. But it does depend on what you want. If you like the sound of high end speakers with a mid-level source then more power to you. I prefer it the other way around. The cost will likely be the same.

+1 :)

You're lucky! Most of chase and are never satisfied...

Of course it all comes down to pound shillings and pence. Everybody wants to get the best value for their budget and be happy forever - as far as hifi is concerned, for me, satisfaction has mostly come from putting the source first - with a budget of 10 coins I would spend 5 on source, 3 on amp and 2 on speakers. Others' mileage may vary - you need to experiment and find out what's best for you. The flat earthers' tagline was 'if it sounds better it is better'. Pretty sound avice really.

The system hierarchy thing is interesting.

Suddenly the flat earth preached source first and legions of British listeners upgraded their tables at the expense of having decent speakers. Most of these people declared themselves delighted and then spent the next twenty to thirty years constantly seeking upgrades.

Meanwhile I've met a number of people who got off the bandwagon and bought a dirty great big pair of quality loudspeakers. From the likes of large ATC, Tannoy, JBL et al. Almost all of them pretty much immediately got off the upgrade ladder and just started enjoying and appreciating their music. Many have lost interest in the "hobby" entirely and now enjoy their music whilst focusing on sport or photography.

A lesson to be learned there?

I don't think it does boil down to pounds shillings and pence, that seems a very shakey foundation for a philosophy, but a very reasonable one for a religion.

I paid more for my source than my speakers, but my speakers are worth more than my source.

Joe

advertisement

Back