advertisement

Chris Frankland

All this multi-take over processed digitally manipulated nonsense as sucked the life and emotion out of it .

Fortunately not quite as badly as the multi-take, multi-track over-processed manipulated nonsense did in the 70's... At least the digital stuff allows the overdubs to preserve the original quality better compared to the analog crap we used to have in the studios...

The crazy thing about this place and similar is that out of the billions of people on this planet alone, we are all amongst the truly tiny minority who find stereo equipment of interest.

And yet we use this platform to highlight and expose our differences rather than to embrace our similarities.
It has something to do with insecurity mixed with ego, mainly.

I used to ride motorcycles and attend rallies. All types of bikers would turn up riding the complete gamut of full-dress tourers from Harley Davidson, Honda Gold-Wings to sports-tourers, to outright street-legal racing machines, to some incredible oddities. Some of the rallies I've attended had no less than 5,000 people gathered on one site. Yet, in over 10 years of rally attendance, I have not seen a fight break out over the differences of opinions over bikes. There were a couple of fisticuffs over women, but that's a different matter. We used to remark you couldn't get supporters of different football teams in the same manner and not have fights.

I don't think hifi is competitive like football. Well, maybe for some it is. Some do like to think they have the biggest, bestest, most expensive etc. Personally, I don't care what people think about what I have. I buy or make hifi to suit my own taste and I'm happy to share my ideas, knowledge and designs with others. I much prefer to discuss facts than opinions, only because it helps me understand how my opinion, and what I'm observing, stack up.

It has something to do with insecurity mixed with ego, mainly.

.. I much prefer to discuss facts than opinions, only because it helps me understand how my opinion, and what I'm observing, stack up.

It's to do with reading completely daft and ill-informed, absolutist statements from "experts" like you and S-Man about ported speakers. Yes, everyone has heard crapola bass from small ported speakers, but to generalise that experience to every ported speaker ever made is just silly, and at one point you did concede that the "port effect" would depend on the design.

Maybe you should listen to some larger ATC actives, and tell us how they actually sound, rather than trying to imagine how they sound, and getting all wound-up when told by people who know that you are wrong?

not sure what any of the above has to do with Chris Frankland

I've got small PMC DB1+ speakers in the 5.1 system and ATC50ASLs in the stereo system

Both types of speaker have a port. The DB1+ has a transmission line, the ATCs have some kind of tuned port

The only thing I've noticed with both speakers is that the DB1+ works better by a wall than the ATCs as the latter sound better away from the walls

I used to run Naim NBLs in the same room that the ATCs are now in and they worked well by a wall

So, in my experience all three of these ported speaker systems worked fine. The NBLs of course had only an internal port between the nested boxes

advertisement

Back