Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Chord Hugo Batteries

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by DaveMc64, Aug 11, 2020.

Tags:
  1. DaveMc64

DaveMc64 pfm Member

Sorry for being awol - I've just returned from an unexpected hospital stay.
    Very useful information, thank you.

I've previously been a bass player in a band and I do like to be able to follow the bass line in music. With the Hugo the bass lines just seem to skip along but with the TT, although you certainly get more bass, it didn't seem to quite have the agility.
    Which is more accurate, I couldn't say but I found the Hugo presentation more enjoyable.

What Mynamemynaim said re this also cannot be denied.

cheers

TheDecameron likes this.
  2. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Well more importantly, are you ok? :)

3. DaveMc64

DaveMc64 pfm Member

Thank you, yes, should be right as rain in a week or so.
    cheers

4. DaveMc64

DaveMc64 pfm Member

Normality restored:

[​IMG]

Thanks everyone.

Andrew L Weekes and Getgaff like this.
  5. sq225917

sq225917 Bit of this, bit of that

How much?

6. DaveMc64

DaveMc64 pfm Member

The batteries were £10:11 each plus postage from Rapid Electronics.

7. sq225917

Bargain

8. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

They are a reputable supplier, so unlikely to explode or burn.
    Please don't buy batteries from auction sites

9. Andrew L Weekes

Andrew L Weekes Reverse Engineer

Nice repair!

I've ordered 18650 cells from these people before, all genuine high quality cells from the leading brands. I'm not sure they sell them with solder tags fitted though - I've been thinking about buying a tag welding kit, just to have the option to build packs.

https://18650.uk/

Andy.

10. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

Bit of an assumption... but likely to be buck-boost or Cuk switcher on board so precise battery voltage not an issue.

11. Mike Aldren

Mike Aldren New Member

Typical, they don't list this battery any more. The only 18650s they have now are too long or 3.3V.

12. sq225917

13. Mynamemynaim

Mynamemynaim 35yrs a Naim owner

I built my own out of a car battery , a motorbike starter solenoid, a couple of battery cables, two solid copper nails and a switch

I have built two electric bicycle batteries (35 cells 29v) with it and it performs beyond expectations... lovely spot welds that are strong and clean
    @Andrew L Weekes

14. DaveMc64

DaveMc64 pfm Member

The ones I fitted were the 70mm ones and are still available. They are a very tight fit on one side but I just managed to jiggle it in. There is a plastic moulding on that side intruding into the battery space.
    I don't know what the tolerance is on length but if it had been any longer at all it wouldn't have worked. The ones that came out were 68mm and fitted easily.

15. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Plus the solder pads on the board are tiny and very close together. In the end I cut and shut the flying leads from the new batteries to the remnants I left from the old battery still soldered to the board.

16. sq225917

Makes a bit of a mockery of the 18x65 sizing Dunnit.

17. DaveMc64

DaveMc64 pfm Member

Yes, though that's the size of the bare cell. These are battery packs based on them with added leads and protection circuits.

18. Andrew L Weekes

Nice work, I'm thinking that it's a cheap way to re-cell the battery pack on my bike when the time comes, although that's a way off. There's often projects thought that would benefit from battery portability and I always feel safer with cylindrical cells than pouch types.

19. Mynamemynaim

Mynamemynaim 35yrs a Naim owner

I use both types (being a model maker and cyclist) and fully agree the cased lipos are much stronger and make nice solid packs when put together

They do seem more prone to self discharge than the pouch ones tho , and once one goes...it quickly brings down the group it is in and often the whole battery
    I have pulled apart a few duff ones ( my mate owns an electric bicycle shop) and the above seems par for the course...even to the extent that brand new premium price bikes have had faulty batteries from new....(the manufacturer just sends a new one...and doesn't even want the old ones back)

20. Andrew L Weekes

Nice source of cells!