advertisement

Chillies, Especially as Sold in UK Supermarkets.

Personally, heat deosn't worry me tooooo much, without going to extremes. Just whack some more sour cream or yoghourt on it - if anything they bring out more of the chilli's flavours anyway.

We bought some chilli plants a few weeks back from the garden centre, Scotch Bonnet & one called Armageddon. The garden guy said be careful on the Armageddon as it is 500 times hotter than Jalapeno :eek::rolleyes: In the shade today as the porch where they grow is 35 degrees + according to the temperature gauge.

I got some armageddon chillies from Tesco, of all places.

I cook up batches of around 4-6 portions of turkey chilli, and 1 armageddon made the whole batch too hot. We did eat it, but it was a matter of endurance rather than enjoyment, simply out of not wanting to waste the food.

Go careful!

Reactions: AV8
The difficulty is that chillis on the same plant can vary a lot so you'll never know exactly how hot each will be.

I love the delicate aroma when opening a bag of them; we have a few every day, maybe a couple chopped into salad and roast as a veg with dinner.

I'll be putting loads onto veg kebabs tonight for the barbie.

Currently growing Santana and Bahia, we did manage to get Naga last year which make a fantastic jam, normally have that on my toast with smoked salmon for breakfast.

Off shopping for more now!

It really is (the food of the gods). Unless you order a crab and papaya salad… and the crab they add to the salad is raw…

ever had the raw chicken version. Mind the lime juice sorts that out

Fine so long as its really , really fresh-bloody-raw.

Take a look in the mirror: Those pointy teeth we have..? We got this far, that way.

(says a now-vegetabilist)
There are some interesting food safety considerations here, one around butchery standards and animal husbandry, and the other about the age of the birds.
Firstly, butchery standards dictate how much body cavity content goes on the meat. A skilled butcher will minimise this. Backyard slaughter, less so. Depending on the diet and living environment of the birds they will have a lesser or greater incidence of Salmonella spp. living in their gut as commensal organisms. Wild living chickens, maybe less than birds closely confined together. Maybe. These interacting factors will all influence the rate of contamination of the raw meat by Salmonella.
Secondly, young chickens, and other animals for that matter, may well have Campylobacter jejuni (and others) naturally present in the gut at high levels and it is almost impossible to completely eliminate it from the meat post evisceration (as above). This is bad news. Campy is rarely fatal to adults, often fatal in children, especially in developing countries. As animals get older the incidence of C. declines. In the West we eat chicken very young, 5-6 weeks old. Yes, really, you read that right. 42 days, give or take 7 days from hatching. This means a high level of C. in young farmed birds. In the wild, or in wild living birds on a farm, the increased age will lower the incidence. This *may* make it marginally less risky. Adding like juice will have only a very minor impact on this, the residence time and level of acidity is just too low.

So the summary is that maybe, just maybe, it's less risky to eat raw chicken from a back yard in the Far East than in the UK. However you would still need to have the stomach of a Labrador. Would I do it? Nope.

If they are still in business, the UK's biggest producer, in terms of varieties, is/was based just across the road from me in Devon, when I lived there - just outside Totnes, on the Newton Abbot road. They sell/sold seeds and everything was rated on the Schoville (spelling????) scale.

If You are referring to the South Devon Chilli Farm https://southdevonchillifarm.co.uk/
then they were certainly in business the last time my wife dropped in - which was just before Xmas 2022 :)
Edit: I moved some papers on my desk and found a bar of their Chilli Chocolate…..needed to be tasted - hmmm yummy!

Other good sources:

https://www.chillialchemist.co.uk/ for sauces
https://www.weymouth51.co.uk/ for sauces and pickles
https://onestopchillishop.co.uk/collections/fresh-chilli for fresh chillies (actually the retail arm of https://chillimashcompany.com/)

And not forgetting my greenhouse.......in which a selection of Reapers, Scorpions, Jolokias & Habaneros (all grown from seeds from South Devon!) are coming along nicely!

And this is a useful poster, which I printed out at A3 and taped to the inside of our "spices cupboard"
https://www.titlemax.com/discovery-center/lifestyle/peppers-ranked-by-scoville-heat-units/

Last edited:
I've grown my own chillies before - specifically Poblanos, which are very mild but have an amazing flavour. I had several recipes that called for them, but they are usually only available tinned in the UK - hence my horticultural exploits. When I can be bothered I buy fresh chillies from Indian grocers (there are a few in Glasgow) - definitely better than those from the Supermarkets.

No. As Gary says, it just spreads the huge round without killing any of them.

Good. Thank you. That advice hasn’t changed for decades. I am a frequent ‘hand-hygiene’ enthusiast when dealing with raw meats, and a chopping board Dictator.

Good. Thank you. That advice hasn’t changed for decades. I am a frequent ‘hand-hygiene’ enthusiast when dealing with raw meats, and a chopping board Dictator.
The advice shouldn't change, I think meat washing stems from the days of pantries when meat such as pork was most of the way to off by the time that it was cooked, so a bacterial slime had to be washed off. These days and especially with poultry the best practice is to geographically separate it from other food while you get it in a tray of cooking pot, then just cook it and let the heat do the work. Those roasting bag chickens are great, very safe, easy, just chuck the whole thing in an oven tray and roast it. Any nasties are sealed in the bag and killed by the cooking, if you follow the instructions there's no way to get it wrong.

An exceedingly clunky website, but the link posted by @gintonic led me to what seems to be a site full of bargains, not least compared to their products bought via distributors, if they taste OK or better (yes, I have ordered a few things) - have a browse - Bodrum Foods UK - Discover the Best in Mediterranean Cuisine

If tempted, I could not get to my basket or payment except via the pop-up that appeared (bottom right) when I added something to the basket. It then appears to work OK.

advertisement

Back