advertisement

Chillies, Especially as Sold in UK Supermarkets.

I had some dried reapers, a different league from the Scotch bonnets I had been using, by ****itty they were hot.

arse-burners, all of them. I love the taste, but hate the payback.

Not really any different to me. Just a twang suits me. Hunt around and you will find something.

If they are still in business, the UK's biggest producer, in terms of varieties, is/was based just across the road from me in Devon, when I lived there - just outside Totnes, on the Newton Abbot road. They sell/sold seeds and everything was rated on the Schoville (spelling????) scale.

I love Jalapeños but have found the heat to be very hit and miss. I have tried pretty much all of the main supermarkets including Aldi, Lidl etc. but still no good. Oddly, the Jalapeños you get on a Domino’s is always hotter than anything from a brought from a shop, anyone know where I can get some descent ones from. When they’re right, they give the perfect balance of heat and flavour for me

We bought some chilli plants a few weeks back from the garden centre, Scotch Bonnet & one called Armageddon. The garden guy said be careful on the Armageddon as it is 500 times hotter than Jalapeno :eek::rolleyes: In the shade today as the porch where they grow is 35 degrees + according to the temperature gauge.

anyone know where I can get some descent ones from.

I buy Aleyna - bottled, sliced, available at most of the supermarket chains. For my palate, a nice balance, good to go with almost anything. But that is just my palate.

Aleyna (bottled) roasted/grilled red peppers are to die for, BTW.

the Armageddon as it is 500 times hotter than Jalapeno

Based on the labels, that would be x5 the heat of a Scotch bonnet, which are plenty hot enough for most people.
The Scoville scale is based on dilution - how dilute has something got to be to appear to have the same heat as a standard.

I buy Aleyna - bottled, sliced, available at most of the supermarket chains. For my palate, a nice balance, good to go with almost anything. But that is just my palate.

Aleyna (bottled) roasted/grilled red peppers are to die for, BTW.

Based on the labels, that would be x5 the heat of a Scotch bonnet, which are plenty hot enough for most people.
The Scoville scale is based on dilution - how dilute has something got to be to appear to have the same heat as a standard.

Thanks @Vinny, funnily enough I'm almost through my jar of Aleyna green jalapeños, they're nice, but I don't taste much heat from them. It's a shame as they're a good size jar at a reasonable price. I haven't tried their red peppers so will give them a go, thanks for the tip

Love hot chillies. Scotch bonnets are nice and fruity. Little birds-eye chillies in quantity can make my eyes water - especially in proper Thai papaya salads.

>>2yrs on N Borneo gave me the stomach of a Labrador... I like it hot, and I cannot lie...

But - I agree with @Vinny 's POV: I'll take flavour& savour first, and every time.
Good Scotch Bonnets, in moderation, are a fine thing.

Fine so long as its really , really fresh-bloody-raw.

Take a look in the mirror: Those pointy teeth we have..? We got this far, that way.

(says a now-vegetabilist)

advertisement

Back