advertisement

Chillies, Especially as Sold in UK Supermarkets.

Vinny

pfm Member
Does anyone have a real grasp on what is available and what they get labelled, and what they taste like, and level of heat?

I appreciate that various countries call various types by different names, but so far as I can see, the UK has nothing but chaos and inconsistent labelling.

Where I start from – only what supermarkets sell, not home-grown (a whole different can o’ worms) - any type of chilli can be green or red, pretty obviously. Seeds are far hotter than the flesh. Red are less hot and more fruity-flavoured than green of the same type. Birds-eye chillies are tiny and slim, maybe 20-30mm long and very hot. The slim chillies that are around 50mm long have a similar flavour to birds-eye, but less hot by quite a bit. Scotch bonnet are far nearer the shape of salad peppers, maybe somewhat squatter, but only 20-30mm across, and are (far) hotter than birds-eye. Any of the larger chillies – 50+mm long and 15+mm across, or so – like tiny slim salad peppers – are generally mild in terms of heat but usually have a nice sweet flavour.

When I was regularly out on the town, SO, so many years ago, and regularly ate doner kebabs, I adored the huge long green bottled chillies and I never found them to have any heat at all, just masses of wonderful fruity chilli flavours – I would eat them on their own and scrounge them from others who did not like them. What the hell are/were they? (I have searched quite a bit and bought a few different ones, but nothing to compare so far.)

I’ve always understood the ones on kebabs and the like to be Jalapeños. Is that right?

That was my understanding too - which is why I was confused - jalapeños are mildly hot, and way hotter than what I have ever had with a doner.
I could eat numerous doner chillies on their own. Jalapeños - what I have eaten - hot, but a nice flavour and eating a couple on their own would be no major challenge to me, and I am far from a chilli heat freak - I love the fruity and earthy flavours, not so much the heat.

Thanks @gintonic - much appreciated

^^^ LLLOL - I have never knowingly braved one - their reputation is enough and I am no gambler, although I have seen various shapes and sizes sold as Scotch bonnet in supermarkets.

For me, the name was given due to shape, and that is not long and/or thin!!

Best check the Schofield scale, it's a bit hot at the mo'

I would but I have never seen any on any chillies available anywhere as greengrocery ,or even bottled.
It is also just heat. A really nice fruity chilli need not be hot, but the flavour....................mmmmmmmmmmm

I like them extremely hot supermarkets come up short

try your local indian/thai/etc

We sometimes spot scotch bonnets in Waitrose. I am struggling to remember where we bought fresh Naga from....but we have some in the freezer.

We were cooking something and I asked Louise to pop a whole Scotch Bonnet from the freezer in. But she got confused and dropped a Naga in - we did know about that.

Yes a new Asian shop has opened here so stocks are back up. Only scotch bonnet but better than Aldi that’s fer sher

I used to love scotch bonnet but find very few that have the lovely fruity flavour they give. I wonder if supermarkets often put naga or similar in their place. Every dish i've tried from local Indian restaurants that mentions naga seems to have an odd taste.

scotch bonnet but find very few that have the lovely fruity flavour they give. I wonder if supermarkets often put naga or similar in their place.

I doubt they could mislabel that much. They are completely different and the Naga is so much hotter

Every dish i've tried from local Indian restaurants that mentions naga seems to have an odd taste.

no reason for that - don't forget the most "Indian" restaurants are not that. They'll add some dried Naga's or perhaps ground to a base sauce and stir fry for a little time. The flavour of the Naga will never have time to develop

advertisement

Back