advertisement

cdp replacement, nas + streamer initial questions

1964meb

pfm Member
Hi folks

I have a lovely CDx, mf valve buffer, nac72, 250 Ruark crusader 2 (my lp12 is my primary source) system.

I am considering changing to a nas + streamer to replace the CDx. I will need to sell the CDx and buffer to help fund this move.

1. Am I mad to consider this?
2. Can a streamer sound as good ( or better ) than the CDx combo?
3. Any recommendations please?

Ta,

Mike

Hi folks

1. Am I mad to consider this?
2. Can a streamer sound as good ( or better ) than the CDx combo?
3. Any recommendations please?

Ta,

Mike

In my opinion...

No
Yes
Squeezebox Touch plus server running on an existing Windows PC is what I use. Sounds great IMHO, will cost you a couple of hundred quid. There are many other options that I'm sure others will recommend, some even cheaper.

The biggest advantage I found of streaming compared to CD is just ease of use. I've probably listened to my system more in a year since getting the SBT than I did in the previous three years.

smart move. future proof, excellent SQ, high res, etc...all your music at your fingertips. yes, the SQ is easily on par/better than any CDP out there.

I second the SBT /NAS idea. excellent. it is my main source

I retired my CD player about 18 months ago and don't miss it one bit (if we ignore the angst involved with ripping 1500 CDs and doing some retagging to sort things out properly). I can heartily recommend the Vortexbox as a NAS/Ripping devise. It has been far less of a pain in the preverbials than the NetGear NAS I also have running.

As for streamers, the SBT is OK. IMHO it sounds a bit flat and lifeless and so benefits from a decent DAC, but you can't argue with it from a VFM point of view.

It might be worth looking at a few of the budget streamers out there. The Cambridge Audio devices (NP30 and NP50???) are good value for money, as is the Marantz Network player. You can also pick up the Cyrus streamers with a NAS bundled in for reasonable £££ if you look around.

I have had great results in the past using a UnitQute as a source into a 102/HiCap and 250. It is a bit of a leftfield suggestion, but the 24/96 'Qute is under £1000 new now so should get much cheaper s/h.

Just remember, it's gonna take you a bit of time to convert your CD collection to digital files, and even more time getting the tagging right, especially if you're into classical (I've yet to see the SW of a server deal with this properly so that it's navigable). I use folder trees to organise my classical, but SBT uses folder trees as a less than perfect option (according to a post I read some time ago on the SB Forums, this is not the way to bring up music), eg /Classical/Beethoven/Concertos/Piano Concertos/Concerto No.1/Kempf BPO Van Kempen • 1955/01 - I. Allegro con brio.flac. It's even more fun if you're into Bach Cantatas...
Just worth considering the amount of work you have to put in, as automated tagging is hopeless with classical.

I've been considering this route too. The Sonus ZP90 looks to be worth considering at around £230 - particularly now that Squeezebox has been dropped by Logitech.

Hi folks

I have a lovely CDx, ...
I am considering changing to a nas + streamer ...
Ta, Mike

hallo mike

you need a streamer / SBT just for handle the files. And you are bound to the build in DAC.
The technical progress goes on. A last generation DAC is " better" than any affordable streamer.

What I am thinking about is:
DIY NAS based on WinHomeSRV.
JRIVER as a player SW.
A android tablet as remote.
external stand alone DAC with USB for the NAS and coax for the existing cdp.

----------
regards
f.s.

Hi folks

I have a lovely CDx, mf valve buffer, nac72, 250 Ruark crusader 2 (my lp12 is my primary source) system.

I am considering changing to a nas + streamer to replace the CDx. I will need to sell the CDx and buffer to help fund this move.

I've been using a NAS and 4 SB players for over 3 years now, my CD player is in mothballs...just for emergencies :)

One thing I would suggest however is that before you go throwing money at the NAS/player combo, why not see if file based music is for you...

If you have a laptop/PC start ripping your CD's to FLAC via dBpoweramp (worth buying), or EAC if you want to do it on the cheap...I'd recommend dbpoweramp, it's worth it.

You'll need to convert your CD's to fully taqged FLAC anyway, and a computer is required for this, then you can use this library for whatever configuration you go for in the future.

I know a lot of people who like the idea of file based music, but can't or won't be bothered to convert it properly. If you don't have the 'software' the 'hardware' doesn't help...

hallo mike

you need a streamer / SBT just for handle the files. And you are bound to the build in DAC.
The technical progress goes on. A last generation DAC is " better" than any affordable streamer.

What I am thinking about is:
DIY NAS based on WinHomeSRV.
JRIVER as a player SW.
A android tablet as remote.
external stand alone DAC with USB for the NAS and coax for the existing cdp.

----------
regards
f.s.

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the advice , unfortunately I don't understand as I am a bit unjargoned and not Tekkie.

What is DIY NAS based on winsome serve mean?
What is JRIVER as a player SW?
which external DAC is good enough?
Why would I want a coax for my CDx?
I have an iPad so can't this control the nas / stuff?.

Ta again

Mike

Mike,
nas (you know what that is) on a Windows Home Server (WHS) - I have an old-ish HP server running WHS version 1. This has software which duplicates the data on the hard drives but this does not negate the need for a back up of your data. Preferably the back up of your data should be held somewhere off site, and you NEED a back up, regardless of whatever server operating system or software you use. There is a newer version of WHS (2011) but I believe Microsoft will be dropping the Windows Home server concept.
Edit - you don't NEED WHS but it is quite a convenient way of managing server storage.
JRiver is software used to access and play music, I like it and for me it is more intuitive than iTunes, your mileage may vary. It costs approx $30 / £20 and there are other options around such as Foobar.
External DACs - there are many and the prices vary from very cheap to very expensive and you need to audition. You've probably seen quite a few DAC threads here.
A coax for your cdx is so that you can use the digital output coax of the cdx to bypass the internal dac in the cdx and pass the digital signal into the external dac that you have auditioned and bought in the previous point. Assuming, that is, that the internal dac in the cdx is of lower quality than what the external dac can produce.
My River is an app for iphone, ipad etc for controlling JRiver. For android use Gizmo as the controlling app.

It can all work together seamlessly, and once you have a streaming set up you will love the convenience and quality. But, whatever you do, please make sure you back up the data - ripping CDs is a lengthly process if you have any number of them and you don't want to have to do it twice.

I think CD has plenty of advantages, can sound way better and won't crash leaving you with no music and a headache.

Your CDX is a nice machine, don't be too quick to dump it.

I was a very late adopter of CD and really didn't consider it as anything other than background music until I got an original Naim CDS, I didn't like the CDS2 but I would admit that the CD555 was better than my uber CDS, but not enough to justify selling my house...
I started to experiment with streaming, and to cut out a lot of boring adventures, I've been through mac minis, linn CDS Naim DACs and so on, and my current system is Squeezebox Touch, Audiolab MDAC, and the sound quality is so far beyond anything I've heard from CD that the comparison is almost pointless. Bizarrely the sound is far closer to vinyl than CD ever managed, though I still find some vinyl is more enjoyable to listen to that my cd rips. High res good recordings can demonstrate some amazing realism, but 24/96 on the label is no guarantee of good sound.

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the advice , unfortunately I don't understand as I am a bit unjargoned and not Tekkie.

What is DIY NAS based on winsome serve mean?
What is JRIVER as a player SW?
which external DAC is good enough?
Why would I want a coax for my CDx?
I have an iPad so can't this control the nas / stuff?.

Ta again

Mike

network attached storage

jriver is a media player. no better no worse than foobar, etc

any dac is fine. i use forssell ad mytek
yes, ipad can control it.

the SBT is more elegant than the nas/media player IMO..

and the sound quality is so far beyond anything I've heard from CD that the comparison is almost pointless.

my feelings exactly. and when you factor in the convenience, flexibility, all the music at your fingertips...CDps are truly dead in the water..

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the advice , unfortunately I don't understand as I am a bit unjargoned and not Tekkie. ...

Mike

Don´t get me wrong. but after reading your questions DIY is not your way ;-)
I still think separate the streamer from the dac is the way to go.
So NAS -> SBT -> DAC.
But NAS: It seams to be easy. but you can make more wrong than you think.
It depends how much data you will have. 1bay NAS and a backup HD is a good point to start.

---------
regards
f.s.

Thanks whjsar, gaius etc al.

Plenty to ponder now I understand a bit (sorry!) more .

I shall have a long think. Probably a slow one!

Keeeeeeep listening.

Mike

advertisement

Back