advertisement

Cartridge life.

I think the maths is a bit out. Even allowing as much as 45 minutes per LP, 150 hours is 200 LPs.

I'm working on 1000 hours of use before worrying about replacement, which is going to be approximately 1400 well looked after and cleaned LPs.

I would agree completely with Mick, I work on 23minutes per side and recommend a clicker (hand held counter - cheap on eBay) as an easy method to record sides played.

That's a very good question. 1400 CDs maybe?

I recall the first generation adverts that Comet (that dates it!) and others ran did sometimes say that the *laser* lifetime was only guaranteed for 1000 hours. Despite that I used the same first gen machine for many years. No idea how many CDs my various machines have played, but can't recall a drive failure.

60 years ago the screw in stylus for the turn-over cartridge was rated at sapphire for 50 hours and diamond for 1000 hours. My youngest has a record player with a turn-over cart and the new clip on diamond stylus are rated 1000 hours for lp/45 and 500 hours for 78.

BTW the steel needles for 78s were rated red one play and gold 10 plays.

Cheers,

DV

60 years ago the screw in stylus for the turn-over cartridge was rated at sapphire for 50 hours and diamond for 1000 hours. My youngest has a record player with a turn-over cart and the new clip on diamond stylus are rated 1000 hours for lp/45 and 500 hours for 78.

BTW the steel needles for 78s were rated red one play and gold 10 plays.

Cheers,

DV
.. and they wrecked the record long before the stylus gave out !

I keep a spreadsheet that logs every record played (most people think I'm nuts). It totals up the album lengths automatically so I know a minimum amount of time the cart has been used for - I don't add up the time between tracks or when it's in the runout - now that would be sad ;-)

My first DV10x5 lasted 1231 hours. I noticed increased sibilance/top-end distortion and wanted to start upgrading before I worked out what was going on. During this time I didn't use an RCM and only brushed the records with a carbon-fibre brush. I also kept the stylus clean with the Linn green paper (now and then) and also some Clearaudio Elixer.

My second cart... I bent the cantilever.

My third DV10x5 with 755 hours on it still sounds great. I only play RCM cleaned records. I will let you know how long this one lasts.

I keep a spreadsheet that logs every record played (most people think I'm nuts). It totals up the album lengths automatically so I know a minimum amount of time the cart has been used for - I don't add up the time between tracks or when it's in the runout - now that would be sad ;-)

Different kind of nut here; I keep a book and note the entire session time regardless of actual contact time. Have done this on 2 Koetsus, 1 Benz, 2 upper Lyras, 1 Roksan Shiraz and Transfig. Proteus.

I also make notes; surely that makes me padded cell material ! I dislike the uncertainty in guestimating, esp. high end cart's.

IIRC someone like Stan Kelly did some plots of how the lifetime of styli varied with the playing forces, etc. I'll see if I can find the data.

If these were all on the same arm, do you have conclusions to share about profile life?

If that's me (?), this was on Artemiz, SME V, Ace Anna 12" and PU7 12" over a 25 year-ish period on 3 different decks. None had a high enough count to be considered remotely cream-crackered. My Urushi Vermillion is still sailing on at 900 hours or so, but only infrequently use it nowadays.

Interesting four days last week when a friend brought his very low hours Lyra Titan i up. We played an evening on my Proteus (12" PU7 gimbal) and two on his Titan i (12" Ace Anna unipivot). Two lovely cart's with a not dissimilar tonal presentation and in a similar price range.

My first DV10x5 lasted 1231 hours. I noticed increased sibilance/top-end distortion and wanted to start upgrading before I worked out what was going on.

deek, i'm glad you're out there takin' notes for all us sinners. the 10x5 has an elliptical stylus, so what do you kind folks reckon for the more exotic needles, such as the micro-ridge in my 20x2?

See my post 16.

Take an average. Mean,median, or mode.

(Dynavector provide no information online, though you could ask them)

Add in the correction factor of how clean you keep your records and stylus.

Plus how accurately your arm and cartridge are aligned.

Add the age correction factor for deterioration of your cartridge suspension.

+ - 10%.

= the life expectancy of your cartridge.

876.2 hours according to my calculation.

advertisement

Back