advertisement

Cartridge life.

Enjoying music is something you should do after putting ‘sensible’ to bed. I recently bought two carts, one new and one ‘low hours’. I did think this time I will track their use and that was that. I’ve about two thousand records. Most are very old and I have yet to come across any that sound damaged. I draw my own conclusions from this and never dream about old cartridges re-cutting my records.

I recall someone from Lyra saying that for their own, and indeed any other properly designed MC cartridge using a modern stylus profile, wear was effectively a myth as with proper alignment etc the stylus would almost invariably outlive the suspension. Based on what they had seen on cartridges returned for repair/exchange, they advised the best thing you could do to prolong the life of your cartridge was to ensure your arm lift was properly serviced and set up to lower the stylus on to the record as gently as possible as this was when they believed the greatest force was being exerted on the suspension...
I don't think wear is a myth, but it is highly dependent on many factors; the profile being one of the main ones.

It is interesting to learn how susceptible the suspension is to wear itself. For this reason, I'm glad to have a Tiger Paw Elevator fitted to my LP12 to cue my ARO, which I have never been 100% confident manually lifting off at the end of each side. That it cues on smoothly is a bonus for suspension longevity.

The older I get, the simpler my life gets.

I have learned that it is possible to get too simple.

An advantage with my 'use recording method' is that it gives room each month to write comments and relevant reasons such as "why" and "why not?"

For example, I gave up using Stylast some 35 years ago, and stopped playing during hot summer months because, in tri- amped mode, my valve amp made the room too hot. I went bi- amped during the hot periods... cool.

The time sheets record interesting stuff and form part of the history of my life. (When my pet baby crocodile accidentally stepped on one of my rare vinyl gems during the play of side 2).

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I continue to use the V15 stylii I bought decades ago. Admittedly, in recent years only once per LP as I make a digital transfer. The V15 allows the use of low downforce so minimises wear. I suspect the suspensions will fail before the stylus tips wear out. Great shame that no-one has made these for decades now and that all the skills involved were discarded.

advertisement

Back