advertisement

Car Tyre size. Advice please????

I think Michelin did a survey about 15 years ago and found that something like 90% of drivers never exceed 50% of a tyre's ability. Perhaps some forum members fall into that category?
I may be one of those in the majority, but I blame the paltry 121kW/226Nm and all-wheel-drive of my current car. I anticipate much more potential in my soon-to-arrive 225kW/400Nm RWD. :D

4 Michelins fitted, no road test yet as the guy pointed out one of my front springs was shattered. It's in for 2 new springs now.

I'll get it back tomorrow afternoon. Should be like a different car ;)

Agreed.

Anh said they are all the same, clearly they are not. BUT, when used by the average user in A to B travelling, they will mostly act in a similar way and would hard to distinguish by the average driver.

To address Anh's other comments It is not necessary to be pushing hard at the limits of adhesion to tell the difference. The subtleties of turn in and braking traction can be felt well within speed limits and normal considerate road use. Not to mention noise and ride comfort is far more sensitive at low speeds.

I agree some magazine tests on laptime can seem irrelevant (unless for a track day tyre) but they are often done as a part of an overall subjective measurement from the reviewer and do not rely purely on the lap time as the judgement. However I have read some US car magazines and they really do go nuts on the numbers measuring everything and ignoring the subjective.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/jeremy-clarkson/jeremy-clarkson-on-tyres-2012-05-22

Well its Clarkson and much as I like him, everything he says in print and on screen needs to be taken with a huge pinch of salt.

I remember the story from way back having been an avid car fan/magazine reader for many years and the test was of sports tyres and did not include low rolling resistance, mass market cheaper tyres or even run flats. Not a surprise that tyres designed to do the same job felt the same.

Well its Clarkson and much as I like him, everything he says in print and on screen needs to be taken with a huge pinch of salt.

I remember the story from way back having been an avid car fan/magazine reader for many years and the test was of sports tyres and did not include low rolling resistance, mass market cheaper tyres or even run flats. Not a surprise that tyres designed to do the same job felt the same.

It's not what Clarkson is saying that is important.

It is the comments of the skilled / professional driver who said could not tell any performance centric differences between tyres and he was the only one who had the skills to fully put the tyres to the test.

It is the comments of the skilled / professional driver who said could not tell any performance centric differences between Sports tyres and he was the only one who had the skills to fully put the tyres to the test.

Corrected

Corrected

Did you not post this comment?

"Not even close to audio. Tyres have very measurable benefits, braking distances, lateral grip, wet performance, noise etc etc."

How is an ordinary motorist, amateur or occasional track day warrior supposed to reproduce these 'benefits' on the road where road surface, road type, suspension behavior, weather, traffic conditions are taken on board?

You cannot even translate non performance 'benefits' such as rolling resistance and aqua plaining resistance as this is easily influenced by geometry, tyre pressure and load.

It is the comments of the skilled / professional driver who said could not tell any performance centric differences between tyres and he was the only one who had the skills to fully put the tyres to the test.

Corrected

Would agree with that cutting - and add that there's yet another gulf between Sports tyres and track tyres.

As regards the difference in road tyres - for curiousity (and in all honesty just for the hell of it) I put a set of Chinese budget tyres on a spare set of rims I had on the exige last Winter. In the dry they were every bit as effective as the road ContiSports I had on it before, and even turned in almost identical times on one track session I took them out on for a giggle :eek:

In the wet, anywhere, track or road, they were nigh on lethal, ABS kicking in constantly, and the merest hint of throttle close to a surface with standing water and you were in bother. I suspect it's largely down to the materials rather than the construction: looked like they were made of hard plastic, with hardly any 'rubber' as such in them. Only tyres I ever bought where the tyre fitter (a big Polish chap) came over to me before I drove out and said "These tyres - not so good in the rain, you drive slow - Ok ?" The big lad wasn't wrong :D

Back on the original runflat/springs query - the suspension stiffness at a corner is a function of amongst other things the combined spring stiffness and tyre-wall stiffness. You could in theory (in extremis perhaps?)- decide to fit harder springs with your new conventional tyres to restore some of the ride stiffness you had before, but since (a) most drivers seem to prefer the slightly softer/more compliant ride and (b) it would cost you a small fortune, can't imagine it has ever happened.

In the wet, anywhere, track or road, they were nigh on lethal, ABS kicking in constantly, and the merest hint of throttle close to a surface with standing water and you were in bother. I suspect it's largely down to the materials rather than the construction: looked like they were made of hard plastic, with hardly any 'rubber' as such in them. Only tyres I ever bought where the tyre fitter (a big Polish chap) came over to me before I drove out and said "These tyres - not so good in the rain, you drive slow - Ok ?" The big lad wasn't wrong :D

Tyre pressure and geometry and correct load rating is important.

Just because it dimensionally fits in your wheel arches, it doesn't mean it is the correct tyre.

I am normally a tight wad on everything i buy however i would advise anyone not to scrimp on tyres. In the dry the differences are small but in the wet you are gambling with your life.

Tyre pressure and geometry and correct load rating is important.

They were all perfect Anh - check them myself, even the geo.

The carcass construction and materials are equally important. Best advice I'd give to anybody not interested in the detail is to fit what the tyre fitters call a 'Premium' brand. This seems to be their in-house code for 'proper' tyres, to help you avoid the dodgier rubbish and give you the best odds of staying out of bother in the wet.

Not a expert by any means ,but I was always told that the cheaper the tire the more carbon as apposed to rubber it has in it's construction,and that makes for a harder tire, the harder the tire the less flex the contact area has, so it will not adapt to the road conditions as well as a softer construction. P zeros a very soft and sticky tire, enabled me to get out of a nasty situation not of my making some many years ago but a very expensive tire at the time of a £150 a tire to replace, that car has now long gone. Now I go for the best premium tire I can afford on the basis of ( apart from my driving skills )brake's and tires are the only things that save you from trees and brick walls, so not to be scrimped on. Sellers of part worn tires should be made to ,well best not to get me started on that one.
oldie

Did you not post this comment?

How is an ordinary motorist, amateur or occasional track day warrior supposed to reproduce these 'benefits' on the road where road surface, road type, suspension behavior, weather, traffic conditions are taken on board?

You cannot even translate non performance 'benefits' such as rolling resistance and aqua plaining resistance as this is easily influenced by geometry, tyre pressure and load.

Yes and I stand by it.

Easily, its called stopping earlier, not sliding on a wet drain cover or saving fuel due to lower rolling resistance depending on the tyre selected.

Of course you can translate them, just because something else impacts it as well does not mean that tyres don't. I agree that geometry, pressure and load can have a huge impact and I would also agree that depending on the circumstances they can create a greater impact than tyre make/compound/construction.

However that's not what I am arguing, I am just disagreeing with your premise that all tyres are the same, when they are not.

. Sellers of part worn tires should be made to ,well best not to get me started on that one.
oldie

I'd NEVER dream of buying used or part-worn tyres.

Well..except for every 2nd (sometimes up to 10th) hand car which I've bought, which uh invariably came with a set of at least 4..:)

However that's not what I am arguing, I am just disagreeing with your premise that all tyres are the same, when they are not.

It's an absurd suggestion. You can tell the difference in feel between different competing tires under almost all driving conditions, not just at the limits. It's not even subtle. I can only conclude that Anh has based his opinion on reading, not experience.

advertisement

Back