advertisement

Car Tyre size. Advice please????

Try to find another 530D that's an SE and not an M sport. BMW M Sport suspension is too stiff for my taste on UK roads. Runflat tyres are terrible and I would never used them (have you ever lifted one up at the garage?), and 30 and 35% aspect ratios are also totally stupid.

Try to find another 530D that's an SE and not an M sport. BMW M Sport suspension is too stiff for my taste on UK roads. Runflat tyres are terrible and I would never used them (have you ever lifted one up at the garage?), and 30 and 35% aspect ratios are also totally stupid.

I'm not swapping cars Dan, just new tyres ;). I hardly see the thing.

So can anyone tell me how to distinguish a Run Flat from a standard tyre??

Ta

Run flats have a star on the sidewall.

Keep the sport tyres and wheels for when you sell the car (widens market)

Buy some standard wheels and tyres.

On my Bridgestone runcraps I have these logos:

null_zpsc024690b.jpg

null_zpsfb5bc9cd.jpg

So RSC or RFT is what you're after.

Tony

From my recollection the e39 was the last BMw 5 series to have ordinary tyres. These were replaced by the e60 in around 2002 2003 so yours will almost certainly be a runflat unless a previous owner has gone and changed them

Your only sensible option is to replace like with like otherwise you are into 4 new wheels and 4 new tyres best part of £ 2.5k would be my guesss

If you drove 60miles on a flat tyre without a problem I think that should confirm it's a runflat.

I have one of the last e39's 530D SE Tourers bought new in April 2002 and one of the reasons I'm hanging on to it is the runflat tyre nonsense

eddie

I think you probably have what are known as "spider" alloys, which were the only wheels for an e60 5 series that were not fitted with runflats, as they were not available at that time in appropriate sizes. If you want/need a softer ride you will have to get 18" wheels with a higher profile.

It's just a 120d Coupe:

null_zps054ec75a.jpg

I've driven a 135i, and boy is that a great engine. However, I do too many miles and would end up in jail!

It's just a 120d Coupe:

I've driven a 135i, and boy is that a great engine. However, I do too many miles and would end up in jail!

Sorry for the divergence, but very nice. If I was sensible I shouldn't chosen a 123d myself for an m42, m25, m4 commute from hell!

Are you sure that the 245s and 275s are the correct fitting ? People often like to put wider and lower profile tyres on, mostly for looks.

We've got a non M-sport 525d and that has 225s all round (17in wheels though) Worth checking with a BMW dealer what the recommended sizes are for your 19s. FWIW, we also found that putting non runflat tyres on improved the ride quality.

D3....... Hmmmm. I 'think' that engine is slightly improved over the standard donk. Bet that's a peach of a car. My Beemer's engine is so much sweeter than my Merc's, it's almost a smoothy! Edit: For a diesel......

I'm fairly sure the only difference is the exhaust system which takes it from 204 to 214 bhps. Handling is really nice.

advertisement

Back