advertisement

Car Tyre size. Advice please????

So a five door hatchback turbo diesel roughly speaking sticks with an M3. One of them you can drive every day and not worry, the other in lhd only needs looking after to maintain its rarity value.

I love the M3, but I'd be scared of ruining it!

Good tuning companies like Birds immediately ditch the runcraps AND fit slightly softer springs, then the cars handle properly. A good friend has just ditched them on his 1 Series for Michelin Pilot Supersports and is very impressed with the improvements. That's 18" wheels all round, 40 profile front and 35 rear. I've the same runcraps on my 1er, must change them sometime!

You just have to be sure that the 18" wheels will fit over the brake rotors.

I agree that the Pilot Supersports ride better than most other max performance radials, I'll be putting them on my GTI as soon as I wear out the crap all-season rim protectors that are on it now. It doesn't hurt that they're about $50/corner less expensive than the Bridgestone/Conti/Dunlop/Pirelli competition, and have long tread life too.

For the OP, if you have trouble with scraping the rims on the curb, going from 19" to 18" won't make much of a difference, you'd have to go to a 60-series or worse and that just won't work on your car. What you can do, though, is get tires designed to mount on a Mercedes, they usually specify a protective ridge on the sidewall.

there's a write up of a direct comparison somewhere. The M3E still has it.

one of my friends had one when he was 18. Grrrr

Edit: this is it
http://www.evo.co.uk/features/features/278245/evolutions_bmw_e30_m3_v_123d.html

I had an opportunity to buy an E30 M3 back in 2002 but after driving one back to back with an E30 325i Sport, the 6 pot won. I don't drive every where at 10/10ths all the time so it didn't suit me and I much prefer the m20 engine over an S14 .

Now, an Alpina b6 3.5, that'd do it for me. :cool:

Time for a bit of gratuitous car pr0n

90-01.jpg

My current tyres are :

Front 245/35ZR19
Rear 275/30ZR19

I freely admit, I don't even know what the numbers mean. All I know is they are a bit too low profile for my liking (bumpy ride). Also picked up a few kerb scuffs.

Is tyre size an exact science or is there room for manoeuvre? Can I go a bit deeper & even wider (will that reduce kerb scuff?).

Also, why are the front & back different? Car is BMW 530D M sport

Thanks

Odd. The rolling radius of the front and back wheels is different by 1%. At any given speed the rear wheels will be rotating faster than the fronts. If the fronts are rotating at an equivalent road speed of 70mph the rear will be doing 70.7mph

Current:
Front: 1972.72mm
Back: 1953.11mm

The rears should really be fitted with 285 tyres to maintain the rolling radius front/back.

With 285 rear:
Front: 1972.72mm
Rear: 1971.21

That reduces the difference to 0.08%

To be honest I've never bothered to check how other cars with different tyre widths front/back vary, but it does seem odd to have such a variation which could be solved easily with a different sized tyre. If it were a power thing and a narrower tyre would be problematic and no suitable profile was available that would make sense. But this particular combination doesn't make sense to me.

Personally, if it were really causing the car to be unbearable to drive I'd go for the smaller wheel/higher profile option and accept the probable handling compromise on steering reaction and cornering stability. In all honesty though not likely to be that huge. The flip side would be 18" wheels are likely to be lighter and so you may actually gain a smidgen of acceleration.

You just have to be sure that the 18" wheels will fit over the brake rotors.

True. But not very likely to be an issue given it's not a balls to the wall sports car. Most road cars have significant space between wheel and brake disc/caliper.

As you say, best to check though.

GTM
Does it really matter if the front and rear wheels are rotating at slightly different speeds. After all its not a 4 whhel drive

eddie

Wow!! Thanks again chaps. This place never fails to provide info. Sorry for not responding.

I'm not so concerned with the ride that I'd change wheels. I've got one flat & the previous owner put non matching tyres on, so I'll change all four.

Ta

OK experts, next question...

Which tyres? Is there any value to be had in spending more for "better" tyres?

Based on 4 tyres I'm quoted :

Nexen : £122

Avon : £204

Continental sportcontact 2 : 93y £208 & 96y £231

Front 245/35ZR19
Rear 275/30ZR19

Conti Sportcontact2 is a legacy product, at least two generations behind the current iteration of that series. I had them on a 2007 GTI and thought they were fine, but you won't get much more than 25K miles out of them. They're grippy, good in the wet, but maybe not the last word in turn-in responsiveness.

I think the Michelin Pilot Supersport is the pick of that class of tire.

I had an opportunity to buy an E30 M3 back in 2002 but after driving one back to back with an E30 325i Sport, the 6 pot won. I don't drive every where at 10/10ths all the time so it didn't suit me and I much prefer the m20 engine over an S14 .

Now, an Alpina b6 3.5, that'd do it for me. :cool:

Time for a bit of gratuitous car pr0n

90-01.jpg
wholly agree :)

It's just a 120d Coupe:

null_zps054ec75a.jpg

I've driven a 135i, and boy is that a great engine. However, I do too many miles and would end up in jail!

IMO the M135i is/was the best of the entire BMW range. For ME preferable to any of the 'real' M cars. Will be interesting to see the new 2 series replacement...

advertisement

Back