advertisement

Car park fine

I agree. I drive a 5 series, it’s above average size but I do have two kids & needed a reasonably big car. It is low emissions though.

How big are you kids? :eek:
When my kids were kids we toured Ireland in a VW polo, the little square backed model, with a roof rack, folks think they need a big car but really they don't, it's all ego imho.
The next car I bought was a 328i touring, looked nice and was faster but the positives ended there, more expensive in every sense, not anymore comfortable either, the Polo was definitely a better car.
I didn't buy either car for me BTW but for my kids mother, I drive whatever van my boss provides me with.

How big are you kids? :eek:
When my kids were kids we toured Ireland in a VW polo, the little square backed model, with a roof rack, folks think they need a big car but really they don't, it's all ego imho.
The next car I bought was a 328i touring, looked nice and was faster but the positives ended there, more expensive in every sense, not anymore comfortable either, the Polo was definitely a better car.
I didn't buy either car for me BTW but for my kids mother, I drive whatever van my boss provides me with.
I am not without ego but in my defence I had a much smaller car when the kids were younger & never had the ubiquitous people carrier. I had a 3 door golf when 1st child was young.

I am quite tall & used to do a lot of mileage, 5 series is comfier.

Wow. I love it how any thread mentioning cars escalates into a "my car is bigger than yours"
Pretty soon we will have someone mentioning a 911...

Wow. I love it how any thread mentioning cars escalates into a "my car is bigger than yours"

have a look at the cooking threads - i am perfect and MY way of making X is the most authentic, real and BEST way.

Pretty soon we will have someone mentioning a 911...

Why not i love my 911, everyone should have one. It isnt comfy in the back, but get one, they are the best, and i am a driving god.....

Ego?

Well maybe you want to try being 6ft 4, wife 6ft, a wheelchair and walker taking up the boot (with planning involved for that) then two bags of clothing on the back seat. And my camera gear. That’s why I need to change the C Class saloon for a large estate. If I could, I’d still have the 911 or quick hatch, but that’s just not possible now.

Who from? The major parking companies are always keen to enforce penalty notices. Local authorities less so.
It is a major parking company. I would have thought Local Authorities would the most keen since their parking "fines" are backed by legislation.

There was a very tight multistorey car park in Wolverhampton that people moaned about, scraping their cars on the exit ramps. Some chap from the builders is supposed to have demonstrated that there was nothing wrong with it by swinging his Rolls Royce down through it. No marks.
Might be urban legend.

That must be what was Beaties car park? AFAIK it is at least still standing unlike other Wolverhampton car parks one of which a floor collapsed onto the floor below crushing some cars that had been left overnight. Good job it was a night time event or it could have caused much injury and possible deaths to say nothing of damage to those cars parked. As I recall there were two or three of these Concrete multi story car parks there which were demolished due to concrete cancer or whatever they called it! One was by the market not sure of other ones?
Sorry for OT.

Ego?

Well maybe you want to try being 6ft 4, wife 6ft, a wheelchair and walker taking up the boot (with planning involved for that) then two bags of clothing on the back seat. And my camera gear. That’s why I need to change the C Class saloon for a large estate. If I could, I’d still have the 911 or quick hatch, but that’s just not possible now.

I'm heading up to our cottage tonight and my C-class estate is already packed, even though it's just me and the dog heading up tonight. Him and his cage take up whole of the boot though.

Part of the load is hi-fi equipment so it's in a good cause!

have a look at the cooking threads - i am perfect and MY way of making X is the most authentic, real and BEST way.

Why not i love my 911, everyone should have one. It isnt comfy in the back, but get one, they are the best, and i am a driving god.....

Oh yes. I will just sell my house and get one.

That must be what was Beaties car park? AFAIK it is at least still standing unlike other Wolverhampton car parks one of which a floor collapsed onto the floor below crushing some cars that had been left overnight. Good job it was a night time event or it could have caused much injury and possible deaths to say nothing of damage to those cars parked. As I recall there were two or three of these Concrete multi story car parks there which were demolished due to concrete cancer or whatever they called it! One was by the market not sure of other ones?
Sorry for OT.

Yup. The famous and much missed Beatties. Being (or going to be?) converted into apartments now, I think.

Definitely appeal. I've had 6 parking tickets that I remember. Three I appealed and they were quashed, two I paid (fair cop guv), and the final one I refused to pay, handed off to sent collectors and eventually (2 years...) they gave up rather than take to court.

Looking for some advice from more informed pinkfishers:
I parked my car but by mistake inserted a different reg in the parking machine when paying.
As a consequence I have received a £100 car park fine from europarks.
I still have the parking ticket as well as evidence of payment in my bank statement.
What can I do to avoid the fine?

I've had a bit of experience in this matter. They are thieves in my opinion and make thousands upon thousands out of scaring people in to paying "fines", which aren't actually fines, but an invoice. You paid and you have evidence and I think you can easily win a POPLA appeal. If you don't want to give your money to these people, and want to dispute it, there is a great forum for this over at moneysaving expert. There's a lot of knowledge and experience on there and they also have templates for the appeal.

The first appeal is directly to the company issuing the invoice/"fine", and should be done using the online option so that it's recorded as delivered (and do not admit to being the driver. There is a template for this on the newbies thread). That usually gets turned down but you then get a number to use with the official POPLA appeal. At this stage you get to collate all your evidence together properly in a nice PDF, and give an explanation as long as you like. Again, there is a template for this appeal.

It's important to deal with that within the 28 day limit. The thing people mention about ignoring letters comes later, if you were to fail the POPLA. Thats when the fake threat letters start, if they do at all, and can be ignored. It's the official letters from a small claims court that need to be answered if you ever got that far. But, even if that failed you would only be liable for the initial amount.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/categories/parking-tickets-fines-parking

And the very important newbies thread which tells you everything you need to know about the appeal;

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.co...ket-old-or-new-read-these-faqs-first-thankyou

https://www.popla.co.uk

If it's a car park attached to a retailer you can actually complain directly (and loudly) to the manager or CEO, and they can quash it. My mum was successful that way at Homebase, and that was advice form the above forum. They don't police the car parks but they likely own the land and should have a contract with the firm who do, so they can quash the ticket.
I got a ticket in a MOTO service station once when I stopped to get some sleep, and overstayed. I got it quashed by writing to them on their general contact email address, and quoting their own statement about never fining drivers who stopped for sleep.

Last edited:
We had a car park fine from Lidl car park. In a way that is good as we never will shop in Lidl ever again. Also the way its built inside we feel we are like guinea pigs inside an experimental laboratory test. For strange reason we prefer Aldi (although similar in design) the goods on sale seem better quality...?

We had a car park fine from Lidl car park. In a way that is good as we never will shop in Lidl ever again. Also the way its built inside we feel we are like guinea pigs inside an experimental laboratory test. For strange reason we prefer Aldi (although similar in design) the goods on sale seem better quality...?
How did you contravene Lidl’s car parking regulations?

advertisement

Back