advertisement

Car park fine

Conan

Loop digger
Looking for some advice from more informed pinkfishers:
I parked my car but by mistake inserted a different reg in the parking machine when paying.
As a consequence I have received a £100 car park fine from europarks.
I still have the parking ticket as well as evidence of payment in my bank statement.
What can I do to avoid the fine?

I’d say, by reputation, Europarks will drag it out so you end up paying just to move on in life.
If you were visiting just one shop/business, it might be worth contacting them to ask for help. They can sometimes have tickets cancelled.

Complete arsewipes with no oversight other than their own. They really need an independent appeals process.

If they are members of the BPA their code of practice suggests a charge of £20 admin to sort it out.

If they are members of the BPA their code of practice suggests a charge of £20 admin to sort it out.
So if there is ANPR on the car park, they should be able to check that the reg you entered into the machine wasn’t parked there, and armed with your receipt you will hopefully have a persuasive case.

Last edited:
There are many ways to deal with it:

Pay;

Appeal;

Ignore every letter they send;

Write to them directly (not via BPA appeal) explaining what happened - how did you enter a completely different reg btw? - telling them you have no intention of paying and invite them to chance their arm in whatever the small claims court is called these days.

My wife accidentally user her car registration when parking my car in Edinburgh, but it was cleared up easily enough using the appeals process.

I imagine they checked your number plate in and out so they should know that the reg you keyed in never entered.
Ask them to check it out. Might lead somewhere.

The last thing to do is ignore their letters, they will take legal action. My daughter was advised by her teacher colleagues to do so and it ended up on the brink of court and cost her twice as much. This would have had a disastrous impact on her credit rating.They are the scum of the earth but the law now backs them.

The last thing to do is ignore their letters, they will take legal action. My daughter was advised by her teacher colleagues to do so and it ended up on the brink of court and cost her twice as much. This would have had a disastrous impact on her credit rating.They are the scum of the earth but the law now backs them.

The "ignore them" advice still gets bandied about, despite high profile cases where it was proven to be a dangerous approach. A young lady from Dundee (which sounds like the start of a bad joke!) was bankrupted after listening to advice that MacDonalds couldn't do anything about her parking her car in their car-park every day when she went to work nearby. Wrong - she ended up with a court ordered fine of £24,500.

I got done on the bridge at Berwick -upon-Tweed a few years ago.

Found a parking space at the end nearest the town, came back and found I had parking ticket, walked the length of the bridge to find a sign screwed to the bridge wall about 100 yards back up from where I parked that you could only read if you were bending down to read it.

Called my lawyer the next day, he said pay the fine, not worth the hassle and costs in time and money and the issues if you lose, which I will, he said.

Pay the fine and put it down to experience, if you lose as has been said the issues with credit scoring and possible higher costs are not worth it.

Am glad in some ways I don't drive any more.

advertisement

Back