advertisement

Can you recommend a decent headphone amp with good vfm..?

I did prefer the Lehmann Linear over a Rega Ear and a Bottlehead Crack. The use of a Rega Reference power lead on the Linear may have been a factor in it's favour. Given that the Linear is nearly four times the price of the Ear, the Ear is great vfm. After scratching an itch with speakers I'm now back with cans - HD650's driven by an Ear mk2.

Am I right in thinking valve amps like the Bottlehead will work best with high impedance headphones?

I have Grado SR60s and Sony MDR-7506s which are both low impedance and a pair of Beyer DT-901s about which I can find very little.

Am I right in thinking valve amps like the Bottlehead will work best with high impedance headphones?

I have Grado SR60s and Sony MDR-7506s which are both low impedance and a pair of Beyer DT-901s about which I can find very little.

Yes. Valve ones can certainly be built to drive low impedance cans as well but it's more expensive and the majority of cans these days tend to be high impedance anyway.

The pads on mine have compressed somewhat over the years yes and this has improved the sound. They are still too thick for optimum sound for my ears though... hence if I ever want to hear my phones at their very best I have to sit there with a finger on each earpiece pressing on them! Not very practical.
Does sound like you're better off getting some different headphones with a bit more tilt to the treble (or less of a downwards tilt than the 580s). AKGs or Beyers might be right up your street.

Interesting thread. If it's not too off-topic I wonder if anyone can recommend a modestly priced valve headphone amp?

(yes I realise I could buy a solid state amp but it's an itch I'd like to scratch plus I get to listen in a darkened room with nice glow-y valves feeling all hygge!)

I'm a bit wary of the usual Chi-fi suspects. I'm curious about Efonika amps from Poland.

http://www.eufonika.pl/prod.html
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/eufonika-valve-amps-from-poland.909833/
As it happens I've got about 6 of his amps and need to cut the collection down. Unf I can't decide which ones to sell as I like them all :D

Objective 2 (AKA O2)headphone amp -drives anything except a few of the truly unusual planars (which require matching amps/interfaces) -only down side -really cheap (not inexpensive-cheap !). Interesting back story on the designer - if there were one.

Objective 2 no longer available from JDS (authorized by designer to sell product) -the $100 USD JDS Labs Atom has replaced it -own both/both manufactured by JDS -excellent headphone amps.

!!!

I'm fairly nearby if you do decide to 'edit the collection' :)
Why don't you come round one day and have a listen to a few with a few pairs of headphones, I'm not saying you can take your pick but you'll get a feel for the sound and you might end up taking one home with you :)

Edit: you could always bring your own headphones to compare. One interesting thing is how the different models deal with low impedance and planar headphones, but the ones that can't quite as well sound a bit sweeter with high impedance pairs (subjectively). It's mainly for this reason (plus the different glowing valves :) ) that I can't decide which route to go. Plus pride of ownership as well, you should see my pair of balanced monoblocs - they're not going anywhere!

Why don't you come round one day and have a listen to a few with a few pairs of headphones, I'm not saying you can take your pick but you'll get a feel for the sound and you might end up taking one home with you :)

Edit: you could always bring your own headphones to compare. One interesting thing is how the different models deal with low impedance and planar headphones, but the ones that can't quite as well sound a bit sweeter with high impedance pairs (subjectively). It's mainly for this reason (plus the different glowing valves :) ) that I can't decide which route to go. Plus pride of ownership as well, you should see my pair of balanced monoblocs - they're not going anywhere!

That's very kind. Sounds like a fine idea - thanks! I'll drop you a PM when I get a mo :)

Oh he's a well known British fascist who presents programs about trains on the TV and is known for wearing things like pink trousers with a yellow jacket. The designer of your amp was the late Jim Bongiorno who took fashion a few steps further still!!
Why is Michael Portillo a fascist?

Thanks to a recommendation here in the forum, I was able to get my hands on a nice pair of
Sennheiser HD540 reference II headphones last week.

Now from what I heard is that headphone listening is a bit of an addiction in it's own right, and certainly
viewed as competetive to good speakers. (or more than that..)

The headphones are very nice & I believe they are rather decent quality,
but when I plug them into the headphone socket of my pre-amp,
they sound rather nice or ok-ish , but far from being a competition to my speakers.

So I thought there must be more to it then just that & I tend to believe the headphone out of my pre is not up to the task to show the full potential of those headphones.

What do you think...should the headphone out of the pre be enough to show full potential of ~better headphones ?

Or do you think I could make a considerable progress with a dedicated headphone amp?

And can you recommend one that offers great vfm ?

Absoultely new to the headphone topic, I'm grateful for a few hints what to do..

Thanks in advance !
Torstoi, I know the thread has moved on, but I’ve been thinking about your original post. Like you I’m moving into headphones after years of a speaker only system. I bought sennheiser hd 660s in October.
The headphones don’t outshine my speakers but they give me something different, which I find very useful.
The 660s coupled with an A&K sr 25 produce a very pleasurable sound.
My speaker system is much more extended at either end of the frequency extremes and probably more detailed, but it is easy for it to be less pleasurable.
The 660 system has no ambition to push the boundaries, it has a lovely tonal balance, it portrays different timbres really well, and it has a very smooth and even frequency response top to bottom. It is very intimate.
I tried the 660s with an ifi amp and although the separation and definition of individual instruments improved I found a hardness in the sound that made my ears wince- despite my admiration of the hi fi improvements.
And I’ve found my headphone experience is changing the way I listen to my speakers. I’ve repositioned them to reduce any hardness or exaggeration of frequencies.

Maybe I used to think it was about more bass slam and more treble definition, but now I find it’s about getting rid of glare or hardness or dryness or other sonic artefacts that push me away.
With headphones you really notice your ears wincing- but it happens with speaker systems too, even if you notice it less because they are further away.
So what I’m saying is, headphones might not be better than your speaker system, but I find they give you a different perspective, hopefully a really helpful one.

advertisement

Back