advertisement

Can you make headphones sound like real loudspeakers? We're giving it a go

^Not using the Electrostatics anymore... in this case it was Denon D-5000 fed by an Oppo HA-1 headphone amp/DAC. Also a pair of Sennheiser HD800S from the same Oppo, or from an Earmax OTL amp.
Was listening to various classical orchestral and guitar rock.

Yes definitely, I do. I have a range of headphones too and all show an improvement.
Haider

Ah, sod it, go on then. It's only the equivalent of a reasonable bottle of wine. Ordered.

I might try and make it work with my Wharfedale Isodynamics if I can cobble together the appropriate adaptors.

Actually pretty subtle changes for me. The sound seems to be outside your head, rather than between the ears.

Some definite changes to the soundstage and images. The little ‘tink-tink’ bit at the start of don’t stop til you get enough that is always on the right hand side is now on the left and sounds like it is being you.

A bit weird but interesting.

iPhone 7 and sennheiser momentum

Thanks for the feedback. Now here is something. Though, in theory it should be no different, do you find any difference in soundstage if you reverse the connection? Meaning socket connected to headphones now to the source and vice versa.
I say this as over the years a lot of people who bought Alabasters or Campions say that the DIR and CD passive inputs sound quite different even though in electronic terms they are the same and only about 10mm apart.

Haider

Okay I’ve just ordered one. I can’t stand the left - right soundstage inside your head experience, and I’ve tried things like the Phonitor before (good head amp though) and it never quite resolved it for me.

I’ll see how this sounds plugged straight into my R2R with AKGs and a cheaper pair of Senns.

On its way. :)
Quite a few of these gone out now. Most feedback has been very positive. Hopefully continues.

Haider

Mine arrived. I like it - it's very good. More 'natural' sounding than the digital crossfeeds I've predominantly used in the past. Quite subtle, bass is softened slightly just like it is with every crossfeed I've ever heard - but I'm not getting that 'round the back of the head' soundstage which seems to be another less-than-welcome crossfeed signature.

Very good! It the circuit literally 'just' a crossfeed, or is there anything else going on?

Hi Thank you for your kind comments. Really glad you like it.
In principle it is a crossfeed type network, but it is a very much going back to 1st principles of stereo without trying to create an illusion but actually 'correct' the image using the data we already have i.e. the music itself. Once theory was applied we also spent time trying to get the best sonic presentation as often with theory and practice the real world speaks a different language.

All the best and enjoy

Haider

Mine arrived today and I'm listening to some flac downloads through it now.

Something is definitely going on, a real sensation of space rather than a wide soundstage as such and I really like it. I've never tried any other similar devices so it's somewhat of a revelation to me.

It's a very pleasant experience for me, so thanks Haider for such a great, and affordable gizmo.

You are welcome and thank you for the kind comments. What you are experiencing is what we hoped for. We are not trying to exaggerate anything, but certainly trying to make the headphone experience more pleasurable and natural.

All the best,
Haider

Just saw this thread. Mine arrived in early December and something is definitely going on in terms of spaciousness. I'm losing a tad directness (for want of a better description) but it's small enough not to worry about and the Bard Headspace has stayed on. I'm using Master and Dynamic ME-05 in ear phones.

OK, so for fifteen quid I'm interested, but it will have to be 1/4" in and out. Let us know when this happens.

HI been on internet blackout for a few days. Due to proximity to farm animals and not much else mainly.
Regards 1/4" it is unlikely, but maybe as part of another product. The larger jack socket would make it a much larger item and it wouldn't be fifteen quid. Never say never. the 3.5mm(1/8") one has been selling well and we make the assumption, rightly or wrongly that most headgear comes with it.
My (range of) headphones come with both options and they start at, came free with phone to approx. £1000. with a few in between.
Thanks for your comment.

Oh and Merry Christmas and looking forward to a happy New year all.
Haider

Anyone tried the Headspace on out put of DACs into a live speaker system see if anything positive happens? There is an interesting coincidence mathematically with the 'correction' for stereo behaviour with loudspeakers and headphones and the coupling of left and right channels on many cartridges. In may cases the cross-couple measurements are similar. Sound one could say there is a chance of that 'Sounds like Vinyl' experience. We will be experimenting more ourselves and see if we can get something that fills that void for those that it exists for.

Haider

@Sonneteer, I'm just getting around to trying my Bards Headspace and notice the 3.5mm jacks on the supplied stub cable are TRRS instead of the standard TRS. Is it safe to plug this into my headphone amp or will it short the output?

the pins are all straight through so should be fine.
Ok thanks. Another couple of questions if I may. Is the Headspace directional, or doesn't it matter which end I plug my headphones into? Also, if I want to replace the stub cable, can I replace it with a TRS or must it be TRRS? Cheers.

advertisement

Back