advertisement

Can anyone share experiences of record cleaning machines

A dealer was doing the VC-E for £240 the other week through a well known auction website.
I paid £300 for mine a year ago and then cleaned around 450 albums over six months. A bit laborious as that’s 900 sides, but satisfying to listen again to some records i purchased back in the 1970’s that I hadn’t spun for 25 years or so. Most of them cleaned up very well and it was fun looking at Discogs seeing how much some of them were now worth!
The VC-E isn’t the last word in record cleaning machines but I would recommend it for the relatively modest outlay.

I have the previous model Project and have cleaned >1500 albums and it is still going strong.

As others have said they are noisy - I use earplugs for sessions over 30 minutes (which is most sessions).

Exactly this - I wouldn't touch an AudioDesk ever again.

Looking at Degritters... KJ west one is selling the mk1 at discount right now, as the mk2 has been announced...

also have a vpi 16.5, which is great - will never sell it...
New
I would bag the MK1 at a discount, I can’t see how a MK2 could be any better. The MK1 will see me out I hope.

I too use the Audio Desk, and have so far, over three or so years of use, cleaned around 300LPs without issue. I have a later model (one with holes for the 7” adapter) and wonder if the troublesome cleaners were earlier ones. Or maybe I’ve just been lucky…

Mick

I’ve had an Audiodesk for about 10 years and cleaned over 1000 LPs. It worked faultlessly until about a year ago when the pump packed up. Searching the net, I found instructions on how to repair it and where to source the appropriate pump (Germany). You have to saw out the bottom panel as the whole thing is glued together (!) but replacing the pump is pretty easy and cheap (c£50). It has worked just fine since then.

if/when it dies I will probably go for a Degritter. I’ve had a VPI and Loricraft in the past, but there is nothing better than ultrasonic cleaning. Expensive, unfortunately, but that’s the way it is.

I'm thinking I can get a de gritter mk1 and a project vacuum cleaner for around the same price of the de gritter mk2. I don't like the idea of air drying the fluid from the record after cleaning, surely some must stick to the record?

I'm finally going to do this, and ask my better half for a Project VC-E for Xmas.....

It just looks like the best VFM to me.

I bought a Clearaudio Smart Matrix RCM about 2 yrs ago and it is easy to use, looks great and is very easy to use.
Prior to this I had patchy success with RCM's, but this one has proved a brilliant buy.
Expensive-ish, but well worth it.

I’ve a VPI 17 - a step up in usability from the 16.5 I had previously. Same (excellent) results. The 17 has a receptacle for the cleaning fluid, plus an additional arm with motorised pump to dispense that fluid, which makes a big difference to usability. I batch half a dozen or so at a time - mostly new purchases, all cleaned before first play.

Bought a Hummng Guru ultrasonic cleaner early this year. It's a bit of a palava but to my ears really does 'open up' the sound of some well played records and even some new ones.

Main benefit is definition both absolute of the recording and also spatially (though by no means holographic with my vintage Exposure amp set up!).
I'm guessing it manages to shake out minute deposits and particles that are otherwise compromising the availability of the original cut for tracking.

But to work at its best I feel you need to use first a surfactant solution (numerous recipes etc on numerous fora) then a rinse in distilled water after which the built in blower can be deployed to dry it. I supplement this with using an anti stat gun.

A wet vacuum RCM will be major upgrade to any vinyl system. I went from a Moth to a Keith Monks. they both did a great job, but the Monks is quieter and slightly better. The BBC specified the KM back in the heyday of record decks in radio stations.
I haven''t gone to an ultrasonic machine, such as the Audio Desk - partly because the KM is so good anyway. But also the Audio Desk is apparently difficult to repair. My KM dates form the 70s and is still going strong.

Pro-Ject VC-S2 ALU here, i had some issues initially but once I got it set up correctly it works a treat, I’m cleaning 35 year old records that have never been cleaned and I’m actually surprised at the condition they’re in after a wash. I’d ideally like one that’s quiet enough to use anytime day or night and is as quick and easy to use as the one I have atm.

+1 for the Humminguru. It may not be as good as the Degritter, but for the price I think it's an excellent compromise. I've cleaned all my records and couldn't be happier with how they sound. In truth I can't imagine how much further improvement there would be with the Degritter.

I have had my Nitty-Gritty 1.0 cleaner since 1985, and it still works fine. It doesn't do very much, other than provide a platorm for manual brushing, and sucking.

Here's an internet picture of one:

IMG_0311.jpg

It's very basic and not very attractive. As you can see, it sucks from underneath the record, so you have to apply the fluid, spread it, scrub, soak, and then turn it over to remove the fluid. And there's no turntable motor, you must rotate the record by hand.

Still, the results are quite good.

If it ever dies, I'll replace it with an Okki Nokki or ProJect unit. But it steadfastly refuses to fail. In the 37 years I've owned the unit, I've only had to replace the lip gasket twice, and the center clamp once.

The current production Record Doctor machine is based on Nitty-Gritty "technology", and is probably the cheapest entry point into a proper vacuum cleaner. Compared to the motor-driven cleaners, it's a trade-off of price vs. convenience.

quote My KM dates form the 70s and is still going strong.

I have the twin deck version and I have been more than happy with it.Couple of minor maintenence type problems needed attention but nothing serious over the 20 odd years of ownership.Second hand when purchased - still going strong also

Had the original Project cleaner, Now switched to the smaller VC-E. No complaints really other than how loud it is. I put an elbow in the air vent in case it was blowing crap onto the underside of the record when running. To be honest I can't remember the last time I used it, it is very much a luxury gadget.

advertisement

Back