advertisement

cameron cocks up again....

So has my missus. She is a nurse. She is currently attending an unpaid meeting (expenses for attending also not paid) about further erosion of her working conditions.

You are not applying context to your point.

I'd like to add context....there are many cheating c*nts in politics (mostly in Labour, interestingly) because they are apparently underpaid. I don't think any of my partner's colleagues are cheats. certainly no convictions, therefore there are none.

Who should be first in line for a pay rise, MPs or nurses?

What is special about nurses? They do a job. They get paid. There are good ones. There are bad ones. My daughter is a nurse. I hope she is a good one. But she is just a person working in a job. Ok a job which we all hope is occupied by someone with a little bit of a calling. Just like an MP. Generalising a world view where all nurses are deserving and all MPs are undeserving is a tiny bit facile.

What is special about nurses? They do a job. They get paid. There are good ones. There are bad ones. My daughter is a nurse. I hope she is a good one. But she is just a person working in a job. Ok a job which we all hope is occupied by someone with a little bit of a calling. Just like an MP. Generalising a world view where all nurses are deserving and all MPs are undeserving is a tiny bit facile.

Facile? I'd say your point was fatuous....I am making a point that nurses are not in with a sniff for a significant rise but actually fighting to protect things like free parking. MPS are inf for a pay rise. That is not saying nurses are special. I'm saying MPs are also not special and therefore it is not fair, particularly as they are the ones that made the decision to put the squeeze on NHS budgets. Many more of them should have been sacked during the expenses scandal, not be in with the chance of a big pay rise.

If I add, soldiers, police etc, does that make it less facile for you?

I find the fact that we pay the PM a relative pittance for the responsibility of running the country appalling, quite honestly.

No the bloody wonder we end up with the calibre of guy we do.

Chris

Hardly any of them run the country.

Cabinet ministers are on over £130k, aren't they? This is a lot.

dave nellis was a fireman , when elected to parliament he only took a firemans wage .

wheres the stat that 70% of mp's are millionaires , that is a phenomenal stat if true .

Not a very good source, I'm afraid!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ele...t-worth-1m--Lib-Dems-just-wealthy-Tories.html

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/millionaire-ministers-combined-wealth-of-cabinet-851909

a start nonetheless

Many people in forums and blogs seem to be taking the cabinet MP 23/29 claim and making it into 78%. And then saying that 78% of all MPs are millionaires.

Whatever, 23 in the cabinet, if true, is a lot. And combine that with 135k salary kind of makes a mockery of anyone's claim that MPS don't get paid enough. Many clearly do.

IDS was not a cash millionaire when he got booted out of gec marconi and when he went many there sighed with relief as he was so hated.... he then claimed poverty while living in a million pound plus house after a huge payoff....

this is the hypocritical nature of the man who tries to claw back benefits of the poor.... maybe we should get rid of his ilk first....
So you cannot support your 70% of MPs are millionaires claim nor expand on what you mean by 'millionaire'.

BTW can you take your IDS hate to the IDS hate thread and substantiate your allegations? This is the anti-Cameron bigotry thread.

Paul

So has my missus. She is a nurse. She is currently attending an unpaid meeting (expenses for attending also not paid) about further erosion of her working conditions.

You are not applying context to your point.

I'd like to add context....there are many cheating c*nts in politics (mostly in Labour, interestingly) because they are apparently underpaid. I don't think any of my partner's colleagues are cheats. certainly no convictions, therefore there are none.

Who should be first in line for a pay rise, MPs or nurses?

MPs. Their salaries have been effectively shrinking for decades. It is never politically expedient to give them a rise, which is why the job was devolved to a wholly independant body, IMHO a good idea.

They have assessed the situation & come up with 11%. On past evidence, they are meticulously fair & truly independant (they are the same body that is now overseeing MPs expenses).

Now, criticising the MPs for this is just risable. If any body is to be criticised, it should be the independant body. But I will be very suprised if they have not scrupulously followed the rules they have to work under and can fully & demonstrably show the justification for this figure.

As soon as MPs pay was de-politicised in this way, it was inevitable that there would be a big catch-up rise.

If you missus feels undervalued as a nurse, and unless she has a strong vocation, my advice would be to change carreer. Pay in the public sector is never going to be any good in future.

Chris

+1

Chris

MPs. Their salaries have been effectively shrinking for decades. It is never politically expedient to give them a rise, which is why the job was devolved to a wholly independant body, IMHO a good idea.

They have assessed the situation & come up with 11%. On past evidence, they are meticulously fair & truly independant (they are the same body that is now overseeing MPs expenses).

Now, criticising the MPs for this is just risable. If any body is to be criticised, it should be the independant body. But I will be very suprised if they have not scrupulously followed the rules they have to work under and can fully & demonstrably show the justification for this figure.

As soon as MPs pay was de-politicised in this way, it was inevitable that there would be a big catch-up rise.

If you missus feels undervalued as a nurse, and unless she has a strong vocation, my advice would be to change carreer. Pay in the public sector is never going to be any good in future.

Chris

Noone is criticising MPs for coming up with anything, as I think we are all clear that they did not come up with the pay-rise figure...I just think they should not come before people in something like the Blue Light services for a pay rise.

In addition, I also don't see that back bench MP roles are that difficult. Can someone tell me why they are worth triple the national average?

+1ing someone's comment that my point is facile and then suggesting my missus changes career based on a tentative assumption that she might feel undervalued (but actually you don't know either way) is quite funny.

The blue light services are just anothe group of workers. No special status at all.

Chris

I have tried further up here to acknowledge this point. I agree with you. Apart from the ones that had to pay expenses back. They should be fired.

My point is that MPs should not have special status. 11% for all. Or nothing for all.

advertisement

Back