advertisement

cameron cocks up again....

Today he starts pm's questions by saying...

Congratulations to Andy Murray for being the first Britain to win at Wimbledon for 77 years....

Conveniently forgetting Virgina wade..... Embarrassing.

Hi,

He has also forgot about last year. Sheffielder, Jonathan Marray won in the doubles last year.

Dean

Blimey, didn't know that Dean. Mind you, I don't follow tennis and I don't think I actually saw a game this year. Still, plucky Brits, what-ho, jolly good show, doubles all round, all that. The sun's even shining, this place isn't as bad as all that after all.

Hoping for good news re The Ashes and for Froome to carry on generating more power than a Honda 250 for the next few days.

Today he starts pm's questions by saying...

Congratulations to Andy Murray for being the first Britain to win at Wimbledon for 77 years....

Conveniently forgetting Virgina wade..... Embarrassing.

I watched the Daily Politics late last night on BBC Parliament as I was out for PMQs yesterday. One of the worst / most entertaining I've seen with both parties ripping real chunks out of each other over the obvious corruption of their party financing. Anyone viewing this hectoring debacle can't help but conclude that corruption, be it from multi-millionaire financiers and corporations buying favour or union block-vote, is utterly endemic and neither party is even remotely fit for the purpose of government. I'd actually recommend anyone who missed it watch it on iPlayer and it really speaks volumes about the quality of our political system.

And today they get a pay rise... to top up pay already over twice the national average. Let's be honest most MPs bring zero skills, qualification or outside experience to the role - how much do they really think some ex-SPAD / party toady career politician is worth FFS?

I watched the Daily Politics late last night on BBC Parliament as I was out for PMQs yesterday. One of the worst / most entertaining I've seen with both parties ripping real chunks out of each other over the obvious corruption of their party financing. Anyone viewing this hectoring debacle can't help but conclude that corruption, be it from multi-millionaire financiers and corporations buying favour or union block-vote, is utterly endemic and neither party is even remotely fit for the purpose of government. I'd actually recommend anyone who missed it watch it on iPlayer and it really speaks volumes about the quality of our political system.

And today they get given a pay rise... to top up pay already over twice the national average and most MPs bringing zero skills, qualification or outside experience to the role. How much do they really think some ex-SPAD / party toady career politician is worth FFS?

They are, and have been for a long time, underpaid.

Chris

Chris

There is a good argument for paying politicians well, it reduces excuses for corruption. Whenever people feel underpaid relative to their peers, differentials as it used to be called, there is a feeling of unfairness that leads to theft and corruption. One caveat I might add is that pay be locked to a multiple of the median salary, along with the pension being locked to a multiple of the median pension. That ought to focus their tiny little minds on working for the majority instead of the power elite.

How so? I see a lot of rather daft people many of whom would struggle to get / keep an average middle-management role in the real world. A privileged background, Oxbridge education etc may given them a sense of entitlement, but most have done sweet FA to actually fend for themselves in the outside world. I don't see why some ex-political party SPAD is worth more than say £35k tops, and that's all most of them are bringing in. There's certainly nothing to place them at the level of doctors, headmasters, scientists etc, i.e. roles that need considerable training, assessment and industry proven skills. I'd not give the likes of Cameron, Osborne etc a job as I honestly don't see any evidence they can actually do anything! They are a skill-free zone. The same applies to the equally feckless opposite bench, but these epitomise the privileged background -> SPAD/toady -> entitlement political career route that is so rife in UK politics.

There is a good argument for paying politicians well, it reduces excuses for corruption. Whenever people feel underpaid relative to their peers, differentials as it used to be called, there is a feeling of unfairness that leads to theft and corruption. One caveat I might add is that pay be locked to a multiple of the median salary, along with the pension being locked to a multiple of the median pension. That ought to focus their tiny little minds on working for the majority instead of the power elite.

I find the fact that we pay the PM a relative pittance for the responsibility of running the country appalling, quite honestly.

No the bloody wonder we end up with the calibre of guy we do.

Chris

Tony L is correct.

The funniest thing about m.p's salaries is they work less than average hours and 70% of our m.p's are millionaires already.

They already earn double the wage of the average top 1% of wage earners world wide which is estimated at $34,000 and that's not including their perks like free food, living expenses, travel expenses etc etc.

so what if they want more money they haven't addressed the fundamental problems in the economy and have cocked up so bad joe average is worst of now and will be for at least a decade.... hardly performance related pay is it....

the irony being that 70% of m.p's are millionaires???

I suspect he means that it's an independent review body and that the MPs are pretty much powerless to refuse the rise. Speaking as someone who wants nothing more than to see the collapse of the ancient and archaic Conservative and Labour monoliths I find it all hugely entertaining, i.e. whilst they are busy tearing themselves to pieces over the inherent corruption of the party finance system they'll also get accused of feasting at the public trough in times of considerable national hardship. There is no way for them to win this one. Good!

Exactly. Having changed the law to avoid the embarrassment of voting themselves pay rises they now find themselves considering changing it again so they can vote to not give themselves a pay rise.

It would be hard to make up.

Paul

More seriously I don't know where Darryl's '70%' figure comes from, and I think it is typically Labour to use 'millionaire' to mean what they want it to mean, so that someone with a million pounds in total assets is attacked as though they had a million pounds in annual income. It's a sleazy approach.

Anyway if we take it as true that 70% of MPs are independently wealthy then it is a strong argument for increasing pay significantly so that people who are not independently wealthy can afford to become MPs.

Paul

Exactly. Having changed the law to avoid the embarrassment of voting themselves pay rises they now find themselves considering changing it again so they can vote to not give themselves a pay rise.

It would be hard to make up.

Paul

Mebbes if we paid a decent salary we'd get MPs with a bit of intelligence?

Anyway, I think they protesteth too much:)

Chris

More seriously I don't know where Darryl's '70%' figure comes from, and I think it is typically Labour to use 'millionaire' to mean what they want it to mean, so that someone with a million pounds in total assets is attacked as though they had a million pounds in annual income. It's a sleazy approach.

Anyway if we take it as true that 70% of MPs are independently wealthy then it is a strong argument for increasing pay significantly so that people who are not independently wealthy can afford to become MPs.

Paul

IDS was not a cash millionaire when he got booted out of gec marconi and when he went many there sighed with relief as he was so hated.... he then claimed poverty while living in a million pound plus house after a huge payoff....

this is the hypocritical nature of the man who tries to claw back benefits of the poor.... maybe we should get rid of his ilk first....

Chris

So has my missus. She is a nurse. She is currently attending an unpaid meeting (expenses for attending also not paid) about further erosion of her working conditions.

You are not applying context to your point.

I'd like to add context....there are many cheating c*nts in politics (mostly in Labour, interestingly) because they are apparently underpaid. I don't think any of my partner's colleagues are cheats. certainly no convictions, therefore there are none.

Who should be first in line for a pay rise, MPs or nurses?

Back in the 70s, Civil Service pay was determined by the independent Pay Review Unit. When their recommendations became politically unacceptable, it was scrapped.

Perhaps the IPSA will be scrapped?

advertisement

Back