advertisement

Cables make a difference - shock!!

My wife's name is Lilly, and a.f.a.I.k she's never been gilded; Silver-tongued and with a heart of gold though. Think you mean the flower (lily). :D Now I come to think about it, she's named after the flower, so 'l' hath no fury....
The Lilly was perfection, I'm sure your wife has no need for superfluous enhancement

Strange how so many state there are no differences in cable sound yet so few happy to visit to confirm...
It may be because they have given the incredible claims the benefit of the doubt and fitted cables others have raved over and heard zero difference. Sometimes we point out our experience differs from the hearers or become called nayheaarers as they get called for daring to differ.

Last edited:
It may be because they have given the incredible claims the benefit of the doubt and fitted cables others have raved over and heard zero difference. Sometimes we point out our experience differs from the hearers or become called nayheaarers as they get called for daring to differ.

True. And it could also be no one has the time or desire to drop by a stranger's home for the folly of a farce.

....to your wallet

they make a difference if you are talking about record player arm cables viz the electrical characteristics interacting wth the cartridge?

If you think of your source whatever it may be as full glass of liquid, then one is attempting to wend your back to your listening seat without spilling any. IMHO, the biggest issue one faces is noise introduced into the system and to that extent, pretty much any well made cable will sound better than some very cheap tat.Today I swapped my standard alr cables from the Phono amp PSU for Van Damme starquad cables and the difference? The noise floor doesn't cut in as audible for another 3 steps on the attenuator and flat out, that noise that remains, is a lot less intrusive than it was previously. I have 6 starquad cables in my system totalling 13 metres and the whole lot cost me about £100.

That said and as a "cable skeptic", Colin's LS-25 is the best speaker cable I have ever heard bar none though, if it has a failing, it might make you think twice about some of the kit it's connecting. I can honestly say about LS-25 "I am most impressed by the lack of gristle"

Parallel universe, maybe. Parallel suggests no possibility of morphing, though. :)
You are correct :)

But the train of thought remains constant throughout these threads, this being, i'm right, everyone else is ******* wrong, deal with it :D

Which standard setting soul is going to create a scale of difference for cables and other items to cut down on those who make incredible claims that alienate them from the more balanced music enjoyers.

So a swap of speakers migh be 8/10 whereas the wire 2/10 at best. Why waste time and money chasing dragons.

Which standard setting soul is going to create a scale of difference for cables and other items

It's not about comparisons between unalike items. There's no comparative 'difference' correlation there at all, as a cable can and often does affect kit performance but kit has little bearing on affecting cables' performance except by dint of synergy and is a consequence, not a change.

Although irrelevant, trying to apply a cost ratio onto any aspect of hifi is really chasing dragons ! :). The law of diminishing returns kicks in at some stage and synergy far outweighs cost i.m.o.

Not sure I'd agree as there seem to be many more enlightened souls around nowadays.
The almost religious undertone underpins most of these threads whether you have experienced improvements or not, very little room for intelligent conversation once they get going. As with the Brexit thread, the pool of thought is too narrow, it needs a wider angle.

The Brexit thread also often descends into an echo chamber. What use is this.

Referring back to the video that is linked to at the beginning of this thread, and is the impetus for said thread; the problem I have is that the OP appears to attempt to link the objective findings of the vid (very well know basic electromagnetic theory) to justify a subjective phenomena.

I don’t think it helps the cause of the ‘pro cable difference’ supporters at all to hijack such promotions for their own benefit.

I write the above not as a cable sceptic, far from it. But I fully realise that, if science does exist to explain subjective differences heard, it is not as simple as the vid linked to!

advertisement

Back