advertisement

Busker

Because you're a uber tedious attention seeking know nothing.

IMHO natch.

<moderating>

Surely you can grasp that is a clear AUP breach? You've been pushing the line far too much of late IMO, next time the eject button will be pressed.

This eject button, does it operate a servo motor as with Nakamichi decks or is the door spring-loaded so the cassette flies across the room à la 70s Music Centre?

Ian, I would be more than happy for you to measure my room. Like all other rooms, it must have at least one room mode, and theory suggests this should be around 30 Hz, although I think I can hear one higher up, and would like to do something about it. I can't find my old test-tone CD to check by ear.

Three in most vaguely rectangular rooms.
Long dimension, short dimension and floor to ceiling.
You could definitely be hearing some above that predicted at 30Hz, so well worth doing a sweep to find them.

You could definitely be hearing some above that predicted at 30Hz, so well worth doing a sweep to find them.

Is there a simple, relatively cheap means of doing a sweep gents?

Since the Trios died I've tried some cheap Adams in the same room and I'm getting a big booming hanging bass. It's awful. I've tamed some of it by using a lexicon to chop off the satellites at 120hz and use a sub for less than that.

Still a bit boomy. ??

Yep.

My house is by no means "straight". It's in a curving crescent on a slight incline, and there is evidence of some settlement over the 100+ years since it was built. I don't think there are many parallel surfaces, and I've done my best to break up any reflections with judicious furniture.

I'm sure there's still a slight upper bass resonance however. If I had to guess, I'd say around 100-150 Hz. Low bass, and everything else, is awesome.

To re-cap:
One person who came here stated independently on this forum that this is non-critical. Whatsnext thinks he's lying in order to be polite but WN can safely be ignored.

As long as you are convinced.
You may consider typing IMHO and sounding like it is a HO, then you may get less reaction as currently.
Interesting thread. Im glad Im not so 'enthusiastic' as you.

As long as you are convinced.
You may consider typing IMHO and sounding like it is a HO, then you may get less reaction as currently.
Interesting thread. Im glad Im not so 'enthusiastic' as you.

I'm glad I am not as miserable as you. IMHO of course.

Yep.

I'm sure there's still a slight upper bass resonance however. If I had to guess, I'd say around 100-150 Hz. Low bass, and everything else, is awesome.

You might well be exciting the vertical mode around 70-80hz as the bass unit is now much closer to the boundary where this is at it's strongest.

Easy to find out by mounting the 150's upside down on phase nine :)

"The room does fine; it sounds like a reasonably well-damped domestic room rather than an anechoic chamber. Experience tells me that a bass overhang issue can sometimes be cured by using an amplifier with more control, a source component that provides better bass definition and using decent supports. This isn't always the case and quite often it genuinely is the room but it is worth not jumping to hasty conclusions. If there is a boom at one particular frequency it will likely be a room mode. If the bass overhang is over a much wider frequency range, perhaps extending into the lower mid, it is likely to be an issue of insufficient control over the speakers. If there is just a slight "bloom" it will likely be a smearing effect within the system itself that can be addressed by better isolation of components."

The room modes cannot be controlled by what you have described above. They are a function of the room. Once you put energy in around that frequency the room resonates. There is nothing your kit can do about that.

I think Ian may have overlooked part of Steven's post (the bit I have put in bold).

The way I read Steven's point, some people ascribe flaws in the bass to room modes, when actually they may have other origins.

The bolded bit, to me, suggests that Steven isn't denying that room modes exist, but the rest of the paragraph puts forward some observations which propose that ascribing all bass problems to room modes is to miss some other possibilities and, moreover, addressing the room modes won't solve those particular problems, precisely because they are not caused by room modes.

I happen to think he's right.

I think Ian may have overlooked part of Steven's post (the bit I have put in bold).

The way I read Steven's point, some people ascribe flaws in the bass to room modes, when actually they may have other origins.

The bolded bit, to me, suggests that Steven isn't denying that room modes exist, but the rest of the paragraph puts forward some observations which propose that ascribing all bass problems to room modes is to miss some other possibilities and, moreover, addressing the room modes won't solve those particular problems, precisely because they are not caused by room modes.

I happen to think he's right.

The last paragraph invites the question how do you remove the influence of the room in which you are listening from the analysis of what is causing the problem?

I suppose you could move the speakers into the garden and if there is still boom then it is not the room causing it - this is not a frivolous suggestion btw.

"The way I read Steven's point, some people ascribe flaws in the bass to room modes, when actually they may have other origins."

I am not attributing the flaws in the sound in Steven's room to anything as I have not visited his house. But I am proposing an area that will have a significant detrmental effect on the sound and as it is a resonant mode(s,) it will be clearly audible and likely to dwarf the effects that he has mentioned.

A room resonance can be made worse by poor equipment but given the lengths that Steven has gone to to select his kit, that is not likely.

Which leaves the room modes, as being by far the most likely negative influence on the sound that he is hearing.

Even if Steven had not chosen his kit that wisely, the above would still most likely be the case.

This is all based on experience of hearing acousticians tuning rooms, experimenting with tuning rooms myself and hearing non tuned rooms at many HiFi shows (and the resonant modes being set off by choice of music putting energy into that narrow frequency band).

Good idea.

I know ;)

Seriously for a second, if the only difference between the position of your 100's and the 150's is the height of the bass unit, any problem in the mid bass will be down to the vertical node.

Lie on the floor and then stand up to hear the difference - a like of "monkey with narcolepsy dance" if you like.

The last paragraph invites the question how do you remove the influence of the room in which you are listening from the analysis of what is causing the problem?

I suppose you could move the speakers into the garden and if there is still boom then it is not the room causing it - this is not a frivolous suggestion btw.

It is a simple way of removing room effects.

advertisement

Back