advertisement

Busker

Steven Toy

Accuphase newbie
In February 2009 my wife kindly treated me to a few days in the Smoke to celebrate my fortieth birthday. We decided to visit the Tate Modern and leaving the Tube we walked through a tunnel heading towards Thames. We passed a busker playing the clarinet. The acoustics in this tunnel were truly dreadful with lots of reverb and echo and yet the sound of the instrument and the way it was being played were truly breathtaking. I just had to stop and listen.

Later, this got me thinking and I was reminded of it by all the scoffing and carping from the pfm politburo (audio division) about the fact that I have been paying lots of attention to mains, cables, connectors, supports yet I am completely overlooking The Most Important Thing - room acoustics. They have all decided, despite the fact that they've never visited me and heard my system, that the room sounds really awful and until I address this very issue (and probably even if I do) all my musings will be devoid of any credibility.

It would appear that some of them really don't have my best interest at heart at all and their responses are nothing more thn idle mischievous keyboard clickery. Either that or they are just terribly misguided by what they see of a sofa in a photograph taken at a certain angle. They have decided that the offending cream leather monstrosity Just Has To Go. What they don't realise is that when we moved into this house in September 2006 we had to wait another month for the sofas to arrive as we'd ordered them two months previously and there was a three-month delivery lead time.

During this first month the hi-fi was set up in the same position as it is now. We had curtains, a carpet, the TV cabinet, three framed Dali prints and a mirror on the wall but no sofas. We sat on those fold-away camping chairs with cup holders in the arms. The room sounded terrible, it was all boomy and echoey. Listening to my system really wasn't very enjoyable at all. The sofas finally arrived and the cup holders were replaced by a coffee table. The room sounded a lot better. We also replaced glass lamp shades with cloth ones and placed a rug in the middle of the floor under the coffee table to soak up any remaining excess energy. Room treatment was now complete as far as I was concerned and I could focus on the system as and when time and funds allowed.

Anyway, I digress...

After I'd heard the busker in the tunnel I knew exactly what I required from my system. I wanted it to be able to capture the essence, soul, dynamics and harmonics of instruments such as that clarinet and I wanted to capture all the nuances of the performance of the musicians. I knew that my hi-fi was never going to replicate exactly that live sound but I thought I could at least get as close as was humanly possible within the constraints of the possible and affordable. With this aim in mind, room acoustics (beyond being rid of the truly awful) are an irrelevance (IMHO). If the clarinet player didn't need a ruler-flat in-room frequency response to work his magic then neither did a hi-fi system.

This is how I see it: Bad rooms do seem to amplify smearing effects within the electro-mechanical audio chain so why not try to be rid of them at source?

Here's a hypothetical challenge: take a recording of the clarinet busker in a "perfect" acoustic environment, assemble a hi-fi system in a tunnel leading towards the Tate Modern and your goal is for the hi-fi to capture the vibrant sound of the clarinet-playing busker playing in the same place. The budget will be an interest-free loan of £20,000 that is repayable over however long it takes for the busker's open clarinet case on the floor to recoup the money from the coinage deposited therein by passers-by.

There will be two teams meeting the challenge in two separate but acoustically-identical tunnels:

Team one will be the pfm politburo (audio division) who will arrive armed with gizmos that perform frequency sweeps, there will be a laptop with CARA Tunnel Correction software installed, Active Digital Tunnel Equalisation, diffusers and wads and wads of sculpted acoustic foam to line the tunnel walls with. This will account for 50% of the budget. The remaining £10,000 will be split as follows: £9750 for active speakers and £250 for the DAC and cabling. The laptop will act as a music server.

Team Two will be the silent pfm majority. You can just imagine how they will spend the money...

Steve
Too much hypothesis going on in your head.
Listen to music or talk about real experiences that can be verified.
Enjoy your thread.

The point that I make in the OP is that room treatment is akin to changing the wrong wheel when you've got a puncture.

tl;dr

didnt_read_midget_gif.gif

Markus is right. Get him to play in your room, He might sound better than in the tunnel.

But if you treated your room as I have suggested in the past, he would sound better.

You cannot escape the law of Physics...

I.e. all rooms affect the sound. Box shaped rooms have strong resonant modes which add considerable noise (unwanted energy tha you cannot escape hearing) that goes on long after the note has stopped.

So this is not about changing the wrong wheel., it is not about a flat frequency response, it is not about minutae in the sound, but it is about making the music sound much more like how it was recorded as you will have removed excess energy that was not designed to be there (was not in the orignal recording) and is interfereing with what you are hearing.

The point that I make in the OP is that room treatment is akin to changing the wrong wheel when you've got a puncture.

That may be true for you but for most room treatment is an option. For you seperate spurs fix mains problems for others regenerators are the answer, and they are!
Dont forget it is only your opinion, horses courses.

A mains regenerator may be a future step. Ironically my Mark Grant-modded MusicWorks Reflex block came from a pfm-er who replaced it with a mains regenerator.

I.e. all rooms affect the sound. Box shaped rooms have strong resonant modes which add considerable noise (unwanted energy tha you cannot escape hearing) that goes on long after the note has stopped.

Tunnels are much worse.

Continuing with this analogy, I would offer that worrying about your connectors before sorting your room acoustics is like changing the spark plugs when you're got a puncture.

Continuing with this analogy, I would offer that worrying about your connectors before sorting your room acoustics is like changing the spark plugs when you're got a puncture.

Remember the busker. Shall we clad the tunnel walls?

Sorting the room acoustics is like changing a wheel when the engine is spluttering because the spark plugs need changing.

tunnels have different acoustics, doesn't mean that they are that bad.

Box shaped rooms definitely have resonant modes that are worse than in tunnels. And you are hearing the effect of them when you are listening to music. it is a far bigger detrimental effect than you having the wrong cable, mains plug, perspex stand or valve in your system.

You are playing with the minutae, whilst missing the far bigger influences on what you are hearing.

The brain can compensate better for the effects of a room than errors at source. If the busker came to play in my room the last thing I'd worry about would be the acoustics.

oh great all we need is another hi fi nerd saying that the gear has 'soul'....jesus wept.

I didn't say that. Is this deliberate or do you miss things/have concentration/attention span issues?

I want the system to capture the soul of the musician in the recording not have soul itself.

The brain can compensate better for the effects of a room than errors at source. If the busker came to play in my room the last thing I'd worry about would be the acoustics.

i'm glad at last you understand that it is the brain doing the processing....we have been waiting for you to understand that for years....next lesson is how perception can be tricked very easily.

I didn't say that. Is this deliberate or do you miss things/have concentration/attention span issues?

I want the system to capture the soul of the musician in the recording not have soul itself.

soul is in the listener 'dude'

one mans soul is another mans poison....

People pay damn good money for reverb units that can sound like a tunnel.

PS is the opposite of 'the pfm Politburo' 'the pfm Mystical Research Department'? I feel this entity should be named so the vast majority of us who live in the sensible middle-ground between the two know the correct terminology to use in polite company.

People pay damn good money for reverb units that can sound like a tunnel.

PS is the opposite of 'the pfm Politburo' 'the pfm Mystical Research Department'? I feel this entity should be named so the vast majority of us who live in the sensible middle-ground between the two know the correct terminology to use in polite company.

perhaps - the pink fysh magiyckal mystick cyrkle?

advertisement

Back