Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Building the Ergo E-IX mini-monitor loudspeaker system

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by James, Jan 21, 2012.

1. ThELiZ

ThELiZ pfm Member

This is a really great help for me. Thanks Stefan.

orangeart likes this.
  2. hc25036

hc25036 pfm Member

Top man! Many thanks.

The cabinets went together nicely using the tape method, although I used corner clamps since I had bought them . The blue scotch painters tape worked fine.

A few sessions of Danish oiling and sanding await.

3. hc25036

hc25036 pfm Member

Stefan - the video is showing as private...

4. hc25036

hc25036 pfm Member

Just had a thought - will the valchromat take Danish oil?

5. orangeart

orangeart KJF Audio Ltd.

Valchromat is more than happy with Danish oil, The video should work for anyone with the link, can you not see it?

6. hc25036

hc25036 pfm Member

That's odd - I get 'this video is private' on my iPad and PC and the same if I copy the URL and try to watch on YouTube. I'll try a couple of oyther devices..

7. Mike Hanson

Mike Hanson Lovely!

Yup, definitely marked as private. Check the settings on your video, Stefan.

8. orangeart

orangeart KJF Audio Ltd.

Should work now...

Mike Hanson likes this.
  9. ThELiZ

ThELiZ pfm Member

Thanks. First crossover built and tested. Phew!

orangeart likes this.
  10. azman

azman Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, my area is lockdown till end december. All my wood machines are at my brother workshop. So the built have to wait. Probably I will assemble the crossover first

11. jpk

jpk pfm Member

Progress: one cabinet assembled and both cross overs completed. There are 2 pieces of van damme cable: is that enough for all the internal wiring? Just hesitating to cut it into pieces...

hc25036 likes this.
  12. orangeart

orangeart KJF Audio Ltd.

Yes, just about enough cable. Everyone has everything the same as I made the one pair I had to make for this GB so I know it fits

jpk likes this.
  13. azman

azman Well-Known Member

Just completed assembly of the crossover:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wire soldered,
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  14. azman

azman Well-Known Member

15. jpk

jpk pfm Member

Today I completed my build. Just to make sure about the cross over as the "link" markings on my boards were different for the right and left board: it should be connected as marked in red on attached picture, right?

[​IMG]

orangeart likes this.
  16. azman

azman Well-Known Member

Thanks jpk, Yes, It is connected like the red line, but i connected them underneath the board. I have trace the circuit 2 times and compared with the diagram posted by James. I think it is correct. I also measured the connection using multi meter.

17. jpk

jpk pfm Member

Thanks for confirming, azman!

I audititioned mine, totally fresh after built, and can say they sound fantastic. More involving, open and also cleaner than my pair of Harbeth 30.1s which sound unnatural dark and introverted in comparison.

Didn't expect such a good speaker :cool:

18. azman

azman Well-Known Member

Congratulation on your built, enjoy the music. I haven't completed mine since my area is lockdown until december. Can't wait to complete mine..

19. James

James Lord of the Erg\o/s

They are certainly full of surprises. Their greatest strength, aside from sounding bigger than they look, is seamless coherence. Just make sure you have at least a 50WPC amp behind them, but avoid thrashing them. There is only so much SPL you can get from a pair of diminutive 5.25" mid-woofers.

They will settle down after about 2 weeks of playing.

Jeff Anderson likes this.
  20. orangeart

orangeart KJF Audio Ltd.

They really are great speakers and such a simple solution to what is often a complex problem. I'd like to see even more people using these but outside of the 2 group buys in here I only sold a couple of pairs. I think they are as good as any small 2 way I've heard

hc25036 and Jeff Anderson like this.