advertisement

Buffalo II DAC

MartinC, nice job.

How much current do you burn in the Placid BP ??

Hi AVR300,

I didn't actually measure the total current on each rail, but set the BP to be running 60mA through the shunt, so my estimate is that the + rail is running around 200mA through to the Legato and then 60mA shunted. The -ve rail will be lower as I set the voltage lower, so around 180mA.

Stangely one of the Placid 5v heatsinks runs the hottest of them all. I double checked the shunted current and it is at 60mA also. If I take the case off one more time will check again and perhaps crand down the shunt current a little.

Regarsd

Oh, damn. Just when I though that the Buffalo couldn't sound any better, Russ and Brian at Twisted Pear bring out optional shunt regs for the board! (Tridents), curse those guys :p. I sure hope that my case is high enough to accomodate.

Any one else considering adding the Tridents - mine are already in the mail at the moment!

Dear MartinC I've seen your wonderful 2 boxes Buffalo DAC. I'd like to, literally, duplicate it. In the meanwhile Twistedpear is going to send the new batch (I just won one) I'd like to build the transformers box. I bought this transformers for audio application:
- 230/2x9 20VA dual secondary
- 230/2x14 50VA dual secondary
Is it possible to have schematics for the filtering board next to the transformers and the components value.
Obviously they will fed a Placid and a Placid bipolar for the Legato board

Thanks for your help
Regards
Gianluca

Dear MartinC I've seen your wonderful 2 boxes Buffalo DAC. I'd like to, literally, duplicate it. In the meanwhile Twistedpear is going to send the new batch (I just won one) I'd like to build the transformers box. I bought this transformers for audio application:
- 230/2x9 20VA dual secondary
- 230/2x14 50VA dual secondary
Is it possible to have schematics for the filtering board next to the transformers and the components value.
Obviously they will fed a Placid and a Placid bipolar for the Legato board

Thanks for your help
Regards
Gianluca

Hi Gialuca,

No problem, PM sent.

Regards

Martin

Anyone got any feedback on the Trident implementation yet?

I was going to install over the weekend, but my case is too short to mount them vertically, so I need to make some mods to the mounting.

Yes, everything gets better. Simple as that.

Oh darn - now the wait till Friday when my parts order arrives will seem even longer!

In practice that's a good thing as the new LDPS board will be here then and the Placid can be replaced at he same time, so it should mean a cooler case as well as better sound.

Regards

Tridents added last night, fairly simple install, though had to use longer pins on the XO one and mount them all horizontal, so now it looks like a Winged Buffalo.

Results?...Well, a bit more of everything. I judge my mods mostly on whether I stay up late listening as a result, and yesterday was a very late session! Worth the effort.

The Placid seems fine supplying the extra load, set the bypass current at 50mA. Later I will up the case ventilation slightly or switch out for a LCBPS.

Regards

Martin, I have followed your build, along with one or two others, and I must congratulate you on your stunning workmanship.
Your build has impressed me enough for me to finally pull the trigger and try to see if I can try to emulate what you have achieved (doubtful), but it has been a while since I waved a soldering iron in anger.
If it sounds as good as it looks you have a sure fire winner.

Thanks Sonority. I don't think you will be sorry, the build is pretty straightforward and there are loads of people here on PFM or on the Twisted Pear site who will help if you get stuck, myself included.

Good luck!

Martin, detailed plans are now in progress, but just trying to bet hold of the basic boards is proving to be a sligh challenge!
Looking forward to getting it underway..

Martin, detailed plans are now in progress, but just trying to bet hold of the basic boards is proving to be a sligh challenge!
I agree! I didn't realise I'd have to wait up 'till 1.00 AM my time to order one of the blessed things.

Is there no other way of obtaining a Buffallo II?

Tony,
Its partly your fault that I finally pulled the trigger on this one - reading your thread on the dac you have finished got me wondering. Thousands of entries read & I finally decided to 'go'.
I did pose the question on their supprt site, but no official reply, but if you take a look at the next available time < wink > they may have taken notice of what I said. That is unless they have mixed am & pm.
Well done on your Giga build btw - very impressive.

Two metal can op-amps waiting to go onto boards when they get here as per Martin, itchy fingers waiting. Buffalo due for despatch on the 30th. I'm rather looking forward to starting this now.
The BOM for the Legatos has changed from a week or two ago - some resitor changes appear to have been made. Good job I didn't pull the trigger with Texas Components!

I am trying to buy a Buffalo dac, but it is not so easy. On 29 of January after a short time everything was sold out, the next "auction" supposed to be on 12 February and was now moved to 19 February.

Is it the marketing trick called "non availability" ?

What is the best way to buy Buffalo ?

advertisement

Back