advertisement

Buffalo II DAC

MartinC

pfm Member
I wanted to start a thread on the Twisted Pear Buffalo DAC, particularly the newish version 2. I am currently very happly with my Lavry DA11 DAC, but the DIY bug has bitten again - probably a winter build.

Looking at the Twisted Pear site, a number of options to perhaps 'upgrade' the standard DAC / IVY set up might be:

1) Use of bulk foil resistors for the I/V conversion stage
2) Use of a transformer for the balanced to SE conversion on the IVY III board instead of the active stage.
3) Use of bigger / better caps on the power supply.
4) Subsititution of some of the presumably polyester caps on the IVY filter stage to polystyrene.

Generally it seems that the Buffalo II / IVY III design with the newer power supply boards is very well thought out.

Perhaps we can use this thread to capture collective thoughts / ideas / experience with the DAC?

Regards

Martin

Perhaps a:

5) Wait for the upcoming Legato output stage.

I have the BII package (IVYIII and Placid) running here, along side with the BI package (IVY2 + LM3x7 based PSU's).

martin, as someone who is in awe of the knowledge of you guys and in comparison knows nothing can I cobble together a Twisted Pear Dac and are soldering skills necessary?

Surely in this computerate world some bright spark has devised a way of connecting things other than through the arcane manner of fire and solder.

I am not messing about.

If such expertise is beyond me so be it but if not I would welcome such knowledge.

I have recently obtained a Buffalo 1.2 24bit DAC and bought the IVYIII and placid power supplies. I cant wait to put them together sometime soon.

Martin -

1) Apparently Caddock MT132 resistors are very good in I/V stages
2) The sabre DAC chip is either current output or voltage output depending on the load it sees so it gives some scope to try output transformers, replacing the IVY stage completely. Jensen JT-11-P have been used very successfully here. Having experienced the benefit of transformers with my Chinese DAC, It is a very worthwhile option to try.
3) The Placid's have Panasonic FM's which are already very good.
4) The IVY has Wima polypropylene caps and Dale resistors but polyester caps wouldn't hurt to try.

avr300 -

What is your opinion of the BII compared to the BI?

BlueEyes -

All the T/P modules are available completely built but a few quid can be saved if you buy the kits and solder the components yourself (apart from the DAC itself which is only available built)

It's just a case of buying the right modules and wiring them together correctly. The T/P support and Diyaudio forums are the place to go for advice and help.

avr300 -

BlueEyes -

All the T/P modules are available completely built but a few quid can be saved if you buy the kits and solder the components yourself (apart from the DAC itself which is only available built)

It's superior. The next test is to power the BI combo (especially the IVY2) with the shunts.

I haven't seen that option - to buy the kits pre-assembled.

You need solder skills to assemble the kits.

I have recently obtained a Buffalo 1.2 24bit DAC and bought the IVYIII and placid power supplies. I cant wait to put them together sometime soon.

Martin -

1) Apparently Caddock MT132 resistors are very good in I/V stages
2) The sabre DAC chip is either current output or voltage output depending on the load it sees so it gives some scope to try output transformers, replacing the IVY stage completely. Jensen JT-11-P have been used very successfully here. Having experienced the benefit of transformers with my Chinese DAC, It is a very worthwhile option to try.
3) The Placid's have Panasonic FM's which are already very good.
4) The IVY has Wima polypropylene caps and Dale resistors but polyester caps wouldn't hurt to try.

avr300 -

BlueEyes -

It's just a case of buying the right modules and wiring them together correctly. The T/P support and Diyaudio forums are the place to go for advice and help.

Thanks, I will continue to maintain a watching brief.

Is this Twisted Pear DAC, fully assembled, the best value for money DAC around and how does it compare with the Benhamrk DAC HDR? Sorry if I am not allowed to ask this question on this forum.

It's superior. The next test is to power the BI combo (especially the IVY2) with the shunts.

I haven't seen that option - to buy the kits pre-assembled.

You need solder skills to assemble the kits.

Which shunts are these? Sounds good. I believe the BII regs are already very good but have read good reports of the BI upgraded with Paul Hynes shunt regs or ALWSR's. Have you tried the BI with the IVYIII?

I think if you contacted Brian from T/P he will cut a deal to build some modules. I have read on Diyaudio that he has done this depending on how busy he is.

BlueEyes -

The BII DAC is possibly the best available at any money. Blowing the Benchmark out of the water. But I have never heard the Benchmark, only read comparisons. For the same money the Benchmark cost you could build one hell of a DAC yourself and have the benefit of upgrading and tweaking the sound to suit your system.

Perhaps a:

5) Wait for the upcoming Legato output stage.

I have the BII package (IVYIII and Placid) running here, along side with the BI package (IVY2 + LM3x7 based PSU's).

Hi

Is the Legato not now called the Counterpoint or is the Legato totally new? I my amp is SE so using the current Counterpoint would require a balanced to SE board or transformers anyway, so would that not negate and benefit of the discreet design of the Counterpoint?

How do you like the BII / IVY / Placid? - as mentioned, I hope that sonically it will be good, but putting it together is the fun part too - if it matches the DA11 then that will be good enough.

Regards

martin, as someone who is in awe of the knowledge of you guys and in comparison knows nothing can I cobble together a Twisted Pear Dac and are soldering skills necessary?

Surely in this computerate world some bright spark has devised a way of connecting things other than through the arcane manner of fire and solder.

I am not messing about.

If such expertise is beyond me so be it but if not I would welcome such knowledge.

Hi,

A few people have mentioned preassembled boards, but aside from the DAC board itself (which still I think need soldered connectors), all the others appear to be kits. You could perhaps try emailing them, perhaps it is a non standard option?

Regards

I'm referring to the Placid's as the shunts, since they are shunts.

No, I haven't tried the BI with IVYIII, not yet.

Legato is new, you could say the new Counterpoint, anyway it's discreet.

Yes, it's da.. good.

Thanks Martin I have just checked the website and it appeared to be $249 for the assembled DAC II with an extra $40 dollars for the placid power supply - does this need soldering on?

Also various options re transformers for sale at $20?

Forgive my ignorance, I take it you either pay the $249 if you want pre-assembled and don't bother with the placid power supply unless you can solder as it does not screw into place?

Just looked at the wiring diagrams for the transformers :confused:...does such addition make a huge addition in sonic quality to the pre-assembled $249?

I must sound like a kill-joy on the diy forum looking at ways not to diy and for such I apologise!

As said above is this DAC that good..say for plugging in the back of my Rega Apollo as well as spotify etc?

As you can see I am in the remedial class of hifi although I am considering plugging this shebang into a pair of ATC 50s or 100s.

You will need a placid for the DAC and a bipolar placid for the IVY output stage. These are wired in to appropriate connectors.

For a fully working Buffalo DAC with basic S/PDIF input you will need:

1 x Buffalo DAC
1 x SPDIF module
1 x IVY III
1 x Placid for DAC
1 x Bipolar placid for IVY
1 x 9-0-9v transformer (DAC)
1 x 15-0-15V transformer (IVY)

It is pricey!

Here is a pic of a Buffalo DAC (not mine) so you can see basically what is going on. It has an OTTO switching module which you probably wont need and shows the old IVY II.

http://s779.photobucket.com/albums/yy75/RichLund/Buffalo DAC/?action=view&current=buffaloka7.jpg

It would be great if avr300 could take a pic of his DAC's so you can see a recent incarnation.

edit: Yes it would be fine for your Apollo if it has S/PDIF out and will make Spotify sound amazing as long as your computer also has S/PDIF output or soundcard. You may need some form of input switching for the DAC such as this:

http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/digital/cs8416mux.aspx

Lobo, as Groucho Marx one said a 5 year old child could understand this...someone send out for a 5 year old child.

I envy you guys expertise.

Can I buy an assembled DAC II without the need for any diy and for how much and to what extend do the add-ons add to the sound or is the pre-assembled unit good value?

I am grateful for your patience :)

I note a number of ompanies like hifi co-operative that seem to make low budget DACs without the constraints imposed on value for money by large overheads.

I take it the DAC II is the pick of the bunch?

Rats, I will need an XLR out on the DAC for connection to the active ATCs.

Lobo, as Groucho Marx one said a 5 year old child could understand this...someone send out for a 5 year old child.

I envy you guys expertise.

Can I buy an assembled DAC II without the need for any diy and for how much and to what extend do the add-ons add to the sound or is the pre-assembled unit good value?

I am grateful for your patience :)

Well most of us on PFM are big kids... especially myself!

There are no pre assembled Buffalo DAC's on the market. In fact as far as I know there are no commercial DAC's using the Sabre DAC chip, which is one of the best most advanced chips out there. And Twisted pear have done a brilliant job of implementing it.

If you were to buy absolutely everything including modules, case and connections. Perhaps someone on here would build it for you for a price. It's worth asking.

Not sure what you mean by 'add-ons' but the Buffalo kit provides a superb sounding DAC. Certain extra modules are for increased flexibilty regarding input selection etc and have no effect on the actual sound. The items that have most impact on sound are the DAC, output stage (IVY) and power supplies.

No problem with XLR's, the IVY provides single ended or balanced outputs.

What is 'hifi co-operative'? Have you got a link?

Lobo,

I am no good at posting threads on here but if you google it you will see the website.

I will consider what you say and I am grateful for your advice.

Building up the Buffalo appeals but I don'y know anyone with such expertise.

Weiss, Wyred for Sound, Peachtree all use ESS chips ,I am sure there are many more
Keith.

Fair play Keith, I stand corrected. I didn't realise so many manufacturers were using the Sabre chip now.

I understand the Weiss is a top DAC but it costs around £4000 (is this correct?)

I'm betting for far less money something equally as good can be achieved with the Buffalo or AckoDAC kits.

I recently built up the Buff II, and it is the best digital sound I've heard. That said, it took me a while to figure everything out, and it was not cheap by DIY standards.

I recommend taking a look at the Oppo BDP-83SE for $899 as it has the same DAC as the Buff II.

advertisement

Back