advertisement

Buffalo II DAC

I recently built up a Placid PSU. There is just a simple packaged bridge rectifier followed by a smallish reservoir capacitor. I jumped the bridge connections on the PCB and fed the Placid from a Schotky bridge and bigger caps with RC filtering. The output from the Placid is much more quiet now.

OK, just finshed the Legato and hooked it up. Tough to compare to the IVY as the Legato is pretty much stock (I did use Wima's for the output caps but these are only used in the balanced mode and mine is hooked up SE), and the Ivy has bulk foil I/V resistors and OS-CONS for the local supply caps.

That said, initial impressions are that the Legato is a little 'sweeter' in presentation, but with perhaps a little less grunt. In reality, any difference is pretty minor, which given the big difference in circuit design, is quite surprising. Preference... well so far none. I could live with either. I will let the Legato burn in a little more and compare again next week.

Cheers

Martin

OK, just finshed the Legato and hooked it up. Tough to compare to the IVY as the Legato is pretty much stock (I did use Wima's for the output caps but these are only used in the balanced mode and mine is hooked up SE), and the Ivy has bulk foil I/V resistors and OS-CONS for the local supply caps.

That said, initial impressions are that the Legato is a little 'sweeter' in presentation, but with perhaps a little less grunt. In reality, any difference is pretty minor, which given the big difference in circuit design, is quite surprising. Preference... well so far none. I could live with either. I will let the Legato burn in a little more and compare again next week.

Cheers

Martin

Hi Martin.

The output caps in the Legato (C5-C8) are used both in balanced and SE output.

I wrote a little review, and I don't agree with you in terms of difference when comparing the two boards.

(http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twis...vy-iii-outputs-buffalo-ii-21.html#post2300742)

Thanks for the reviews Martin and avr300. Very interesting. Even Russ cannot say which he prefers between the two.

I think I read that it's possible to run SE from the balanced outputs with some improvement to sound but slightly reduced output levels. Do you think this is worthwhile?

Hi Martin.

The output caps in the Legato (C5-C8) is used both in balanced and SE output.

I wrote a little review, and I don't agree with you in terms of difference when comparing the two boards.

(http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twis...vy-iii-outputs-buffalo-ii-21.html#post2300742)

I should have looked a little closer at the schematic, you are quite correct, the output caps are used for both balanced and SE.

Thanks for the link to your review. Reading your review, I am not sure that we are not hearing similar things, the Legato to me could perhaps be easier to listen to, whether it is more or less accurate is another issue. Another factor is that my Ivy was another $60 of bulk foil caps as OS-CONS in which could well skew the results. It is almost as if its the old tubes vs. SS debate !

I am certainly keeping the Legato in for a while and I my real conclusion.

Thanks for the reviews Martin and avr300. Very interesting. Even Russ cannot say which he prefers between the two.

I think I read that it's possible to run SE from the balanced outputs with some improvement to sound but slightly reduced output levels. Do you think this is worthwhile?

The SE takes the two ballanced outputs and sums them in an opamp. The only way to avoid this would be to use an output transformer. When the build is complete I will actually use the balanced outputs for headphone listening and SE for other times, so can compare.

Regards

I've got both Legato and IVYIII, I find them both quite different sonically, so far I'm liking Legato best, to me the IVYIII is mechanical

Anybody try lowering the 15nf cap in the Legato? I'm trying a few different values

I've got both Legato and IVYIII, I find them both quite different sonically, so far I'm liking Legato best, to me the IVYIII is mechanical

Anybody try lowering the 15nf cap in the Legato? I'm trying a few different values

Hi Ron,

Is your Legato stock?

I've more or less decided to order the following -Buffalo DAC module, Placid PSU,9V & 12V transformers, Legato kit, MUX, TOSlink module, Placid BP.

It looks like, at the moment, only the DAC module's out of stock according to the Twisted Pair website. Should I go ahead and order the other bits now? And with regard to the Placid, is it better to use a STR or pfm Flea (if that's possible) instead?

Hi Ron,

Is your Legato stock?

Hi Martin,

Mostly stock , just a few simple things I changed, 15nf output filter cap which I lowered in value and fitted low inductance types, the 100uf BP Nichicon coupling caps changed to 10uf Wima's, I also fitted a socket for the differential to SE op-amps to try alternatives, not too convinced with those LM4562/LME49720's
The psu's are separate for each stage using Paul Hynes regulation

I wonder what others think of the Legato circuit ? if theres anything worth trying

Hi Ron

Thanks for the info, I changed the output caps also to the 10uF Wimas. Will be adding TX components bulk foils for the I/V resistors and OS-CONS shortly.

Attached is where I was a week of so ago (showing the IVYIII), now finalising the casework.

Regards

Buffalo%20Build.jpg

Anyone compared Buffalo 2/ivy3 or legato against the original buff24/ivy?

Yes. I just finished building my Buf II/ IVY III. Been letting it burn in the last couple days and I'm very impressed with it compared to my original Buffalo24/IVY. It's stock for now, but I immediately noticed that it was smoother, with much more detail coming through. Now that I've let it sit for a couple days I'm thinking it was well worth taking the time to build it as the improvements aren't really that small, at least in my system. I continue to be impressed with these guys. Their designs and their packaging and attention to detail is second to none.

Colin

OK Guys, Buffalo II completed. First is a quick summary of the build, concentrating on any changes from the standard build detailed on the Twisted Pear site.

PSU Box
Two Hackercap board boards, one supplying raw +DC from a 30VA 9v toroid, and one +/- DC from a 15v torroid. The rectifiers were QSpeed type, and I used C-R-C-R-C filtering using 3300uF caps and 0.5ohm resistors.

This box feeds 5 lines + a chassis ground connection to the Buffalo box. I used a XLR connector for this power link.

DAC Box
Twisted Pear Placid and Placid BP supplies with regulator sections bypassed/removed, otherwise stock.
The DAC board itself is totally stock and feeds a Legato I/V convertor board. The Legato is a version 1 board essentially modified to a version 2, with tripled up FET stage. I changed the stock power line caps to 68uF, 25v OS-CONS. Coupling caps were changed to 10uF WIMA films. The Legato is set to run at +15v, -13v.

Finally, the cases were custom from Front Panel Express, with front face mounting hardware changed to M3 Allen bolts. (sitting on a chair awaiting final placement after check out)

Results: Very, very pleased with the sound. I am feeding from a HiFace EVO, and the Buffalo is replacing a Lavry DA11. No contest.

The Buffalo ends up pretty pricey, even if you don't account for your time, and without directly comparing to other commercial units, it's difficut to say where it sits in the 'ladder'. However, I would recommend it wholeheartedly to anyone with reasonable soldering and assembly skills.

Any questions please feel free to PM me.

Regards

Martin - looks very nice, great job! Are those Hammond cases with FPE front and top panels (top for the power)? I've thought about trying something similar for a headphone amp, but wasn't sure how to spec the top panel for a flush fit - ie dealing with the shoulders to slide into the extruded case. If you did this, keen to hear what you found to be the best option. Thanks.

Justin.

Martin - looks very nice, great job! Are those Hammond cases with FPE front and top panels (top for the power)? I've thought about trying something similar for a headphone amp, but wasn't sure how to spec the top panel for a flush fit - ie dealing with the shoulders to slide into the extruded case. If you did this, keen to hear what you found to be the best option. Thanks.

Justin.

Hi Justin,

All the case parts actually are from FPE, including the side extrusions. If you look on the FPE website there is a case build manual which has details on how to size the panels for a flush fit, you end up putting a machined step on the side edge of the top surface of the top panel so that it sits flush with the extrusions. The manual is a little tricky to work out dimensiond from, but also if you give them a call they will help out also. I had one hole position wrong and they called me to check before machining.

The only negatives are that the top and bottom panels emd up pretty pricey just because of the size. Fit and finish of the FPE parts is excellent, though I did need to hand finsh the front and rear panel edges with abrasive paper as there are some machining marks visible on the 4mm thick parts.

Regards

Martin

advertisement

Back