advertisement

British History's Biggest Fibs

I can't see any point in continuing with this thread, so could the mods please close it.
On what grounds? It’s not ‘your’ thread, and thread drift is one of the charms of forum life, IMV. If it has a life of its own, even if it’s not the one you planned for it, why kill it if it’s not breaching the AUP?

As the OP, I've always thought I had a say. Frankly, it is none of your business, Supie, but I'll give you an answer, and an honest one.

It's become predictable and boring, and there is no greater sin.

I don't tend to evaluate the looks of male presenters. Schama and Woods can both be faintly annoying at times, but they are not in the same league as Dan Cruickshank, who can't keep those enormous hands off anything and seems to get some sort of orgasmic pleasure out of groping every object he encounters. He also whispers his commentary in an excruciatingly annoying manner.

Other interesting history presenters include Mary Beard and Bettany Hughes and several others whose names elude me.
Francesco da Mosto. Venice and a Venetian accent, what's not to like?

As the OP, I've always thought I had a say. Frankly, it is none of your business, Supie, but I'll give you an answer, and an honest one.

No, you don't have a say. If you don't like the direction, stop posting.
And shall I quote your predictable and boring posts, particularly on another forum?

So, the quality of a history presenter is how shaggable they are to a bunch of old blokes. Fantastic.

It does seem to be turning in to "100 women I'd like to pork" ( for anyone who remembers the writing group from 'throw moma from the train')

No, being the OP gives you no special privileges.

Yes, it is my business because you made a post on a public forum and, furthermore, your post could be seen as an oblique riposte to something I posted.

Yes, there are far greater sins than being predictable and boring. Even leaving aside the obvious candidates, I’d say condescension and virtue signalling were two of them.

Threads are like Butterflies - they flitter where they will - try and control them and their wings will come off.

Unless you are Tony l of course, he has a Butterfly net.

Barry, don't push your luck! I've always though you an intelligent literate person, but your butterfly simile doesn't work. I had a friend who was studying Lepidoptera and who had the habit of sticking glass cabinets full dead samples of these innocent insects all around her bedroom, wings both attached and spread out.

For goodness sake boys. I wish standing in a corner was still in fashion. There's not much more wrong than the 'we are allowed to do what we want and you can't say we can't nah nah' holier than thou posters. Accountability. It's a decent male trait (skirted over at convenient times by more women than men I think) but it still should matter. The thread had a serious and interesting subject. the arrival of a few (old) lads to divert the subject into boys froth is fine, but so is telling them to shut up so the subject can be explored.

On which, has ANY empire NOT claimed to be invading for the good of the populace, whilst quietly spiriting away some/all the goodies? It stems from man's willingness to believe that he (and only me he) is right. You he don't count. See para 1 above :)

And yet she's often said how attractive you are.

It seems to me that the female academics/experts chosen to present such programmes are selected as much on their easiness-on-the-eye as on their knowledge. Male presenters are much more of a mixed bunch in this regard.

Cox?

Telling posters to butt out is fine, though personally I’d make some attempt to steer the thread back on track first; but appealing to the mods to lock a thread you’ve lost control of just looks petulant.

Ye Gods!! Some presenters are worth watching if they recite the phonebook, some are worth watching though not remotely sexually attractive, some are women, some are men. Some make interesting and thought provoking progs, some don't.

I'm guessing that about covers it.

One of the biggest recent fibs is that Tony Blair did not have the backing of parliament and the media for joining with the US in the Iraq war, and is thus some kind of war criminal.

advertisement

Back