advertisement

Bristol Show 2024

Quite honestly the best show I've ever been too is the cranage one. I've done Bristol over 15 times but the cranage one is much easier. Rooms are better, it's more relaxing. Just try it. That being said Bristol is still fun, if a little more cramped.
Absolutely this. Cranage is a lovely show. My favourite. Fairly easy to get to, too. 5 mins off J18 of the M6, but Bristol has its merits. Not least the bars and restaurants in Bristol itself.

Technics don't appear on the exhibitors list for this year either which I think is a shame.
I think Technics are providing electronics for one of several rooms occupied by Harbeth this year, specifically room 330 where Lyn Stanley will be playing her new album. It might be worth checking with Technics UK, I'm sure I saw it mentioned but a quick search on the Harbeth site didn't bring up any results.

At work we have a bundle of Fish stickers (Bream or something) I was going to suggest to take along at a previous show & leave them at the reception for fishies to pick up. Alas, however I forgot to pick them up from work so never saw the light of day... :(😅

I think the pfm droogs would be pretty obvious to those in the know

did i hear a rumour the subwoofer stand that goes with the harbeth p3esr might be there ?

Harbeth will have five demo rooms. One with Nelson and one showcasing their new NLE-3 3-way studio monitor. I think it is an active, DSP enabled loudspeaker, said (by them) to be 'revolutionary'. https://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/threads/the-bristol-hifi-show-february-2024.80820/

For those of you attending. the show please, please, please share photos and information about the new NLE-3 3-way studio monitor
Thanks muchly in advance.

Harbeth will have five demo rooms. One with Nelson and one showcasing their new NLE-3 3-way studio monitor. I think it is an active, DSP enabled loudspeaker, said (by them) to be 'revolutionary'. https://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/threads/the-bristol-hifi-show-february-2024.80820/
Five rooms! I remember last year Alun Shaw was saying that a room (I think) costs circa £10k and that three rooms was quite a large investment for a small business... If he's got five this year then he must certainly think it was worth while.

I don't think Harbeth are given enough credit for the success of their business.. This might start a debate for charging a fortune for a simple box and technology... But looking at their accounts on company house they have £6.5m cash in bank... Vs Kef (I'f I'm reading it correctly) £2.9m...

I will have a room at Bristol. If my plan comes together I will be running a/b comparisons between a Naia and a Planar 10 with Blackbird. Sadly I could not stretch to a pair of Naias. I should also have Reference Fidelity Components Rubato speakers. As it stands I have only ever heard some of these components briefly in unfamiliar systems and do not have them in my possession yet, so the results will be an experiment but I hope it will prove interesting and fun for visitors. I look forward to seeing you there.

I will have a room at Bristol. If my plan comes together I will be running a/b comparisons between a Naia and a Planar 10 with Blackbird. Sadly I could not stretch to a pair of Naias. I should also have Reference Fidelity Components Rubato speakers. As it stands I have only ever heard some of these components briefly in unfamiliar systems and do not have them in my possession yet, so the results will be an experiment but I hope it will prove interesting and fun for visitors. I look forward to seeing you there.
I desperately hope this is an organized comparison because last time I visited your room you had a LP12 & Technics on dem, of which I was so hoping to hear the difference of which I was "promised" a dem whilst chatting outside but as soon as I flew back into the room for the dem you got very side winded with some other people discussing your arm & I think you almost immediately forgot all about it, so I left (no time to waist at shows really).

i think the RFC rubato will be on show so they will be interesting to see , however exhibited by someone else as paul cant be there [supertrac room ]

I desperately hope this is an organized comparison because last time I visited your room you had a LP12 & Technics on dem, of which I was so hoping to hear the difference of which I was "promised" a dem whilst chatting outside but as soon as I flew back into the room for the dem you got very side winded with some other people discussing your arm & I think you almost immediately forgot all about it, so I left (no time to waist at shows really).

I'm sorry about that. It gets very busy sometimes and there just isn't time to do all the things I would like to do. My recollection is that I didn't even have a cartridge installed on the Sondek, so I don't know why I made that promise to you, and I never had twenty minutes during opening hours to sort that out. Apologies. My wife was exhausted (we arrived at 3am for a 10am show start) and she could not always stand in for me.

To be fair, I did conduct many a/b comparisons between stock 1210G and souped-up 1210Mk5/Blackbird. I was there to inform about my product - settling old scores between legendary turntable manufacturers was not a priority! I will try to do better next time, but it is a massive effort and I always seem to fall behind schedule as the show approaches.

If I manage to get a system running with turntable+Blackbird then that's the main hurdle. Interesting a/b comparisons are the icing on the cake. I'll do my best.

I'm sorry about that. It gets very busy sometimes and there just isn't time to do all the things I would like to do. My recollection is that I didn't even have a cartridge installed on the Sondek, so I don't know why I made that promise to you, and I never had twenty minutes during opening hours to sort that out. Apologies. My wife was exhausted (we arrived at 3am for a 10am show start) and she could not always stand in for me.

To be fair, I did conduct many a/b comparisons between stock 1210G and souped-up 1210Mk5/Blackbird. I was there to inform about my product - settling old scores between legendary turntable manufacturers was not a priority! I will try to do better next time, but it is a massive effort and I always seem to fall behind schedule as the show approaches.

If I manage to get a system running with turntable+Blackbird then that's the main hurdle. Interesting a/b comparisons are the icing on the cake. I'll do my best.
As usual my mind got forgetful for correct wording during the creation of this post. Since it no longer can be edited; now that I have come back to it & re read it I actually meant - side tracked! not side winded! Anyhow I could see how interested people were in the design of your arm, as much as I & that was your main intent at the show. I find It's difficult to get a demonstration of anything you want at a show even if pushed politely. So don't feel so disheartened! It was just by accident that your room had a Technics & LP12 side by side & I was eager to hear what were the differences between these decks (not that I have never heard a Technics) & why so many loved the Technics.

...your room had a Technics & LP12 side by side & I was eager to hear what were the differences between these decks (not that I have never heard a Technics) & why so many loved the Technics.

I would love to be able to demonstrate using all my favourite decks, but as you say, at shows it can get very busy and it's difficult. I'm thinking of making a dedicated listening room for potential customers here at Chateau SUPATRAC so that people really can take time to compare all of the decks I have in a more relaxed environment.

I've been using SL 1210 and Sondek side by side, on and off, for about fifteen years. I've had the Sondek for 40. The obvious difference is the way that the Technics holds the pitch of sustained notes while other stuff is going on, or during cadences. For me it's an important ingredient in the poignancy of music. Recently my Sondek has taken a huge step towards matching the Technics in that regard - I installed InSole rubber grommets instead of the usual springs. Sadly John R, God rest his soul, is no longer with us, but you can still get something similar from AudioSilente. It is much harder to tell the two decks apart now. It is my experience that as decks get better, they converge, as you would expect. There must be a right way to drive a record.

Bristol seems a rather dangerous place right now...... and I speak as a native.
35 years ago or so we visited bristol with a view to living there in the st pauls area , sure they had just had some riots then !! We never did settle there

If I may make a polite request - please leave the Behringer A500 at home! ;)

advertisement

Back