advertisement

Bristol Show 2024

I’ll pop along on the train, last year I got a silly priced HDMI cable at about 20% of retail seems they over stocked and no one wants a £500 HDMI it was better but I needed a number of A-B to confirm and not A £500 item !

Some interesting responses. I'm pretty sure I've said before that I see shows as more a day out, than a serious mission to seek out potential purchases. And anyway.. barring accidents, my system is finished and I'm happy with it. I don't recall ever having to jostle...

It's true, most sounds are pretty poor, food is something of a lottery etc.. but I still find it enjoyable. Even the 'Nerds' mentioned by Mick are quite funny. The know all types amuse, the ones who sit tugging their beards with a faux expression of deep concentration and analysis on their faces, to the know all types ( some of them salesmen) who loudly and disdainfully declare 'You have a what?..I thought you said you liked music!!!?" Straight out of the classic Smith and Jones sketch..

But mostly, I'm still trying to weigh up whether to park up at the Travelodge, or in Bristol Centre, or even somewhere between. Disappointingly, it seems a bus from the Travelodge to the centre takes nearly and hour!

As I said above, I have a Blue Badge, which according to Bristol City Council entitles me to park all day for free in on street Pay and Display, but actually finding out where on street parking actually exists is not easy.

Can any locals name any streets or areas close to the show venue where such parking exists?
Bristol is not the easiest of places to drive around, not a huge amount of on street parking either.

Hope you have a good day, I suggest you park & ride.

Fishies should wear T shirts

blob

Some interesting responses. I'm pretty sure I've said before that I see shows as more a day out, than a serious mission to seek out potential purchases. And anyway.. barring accidents, my system is finished and I'm happy with it. I don't recall ever having to jostle...

It's true, most sounds are pretty poor, food is something of a lottery etc.. but I still find it enjoyable. Even the 'Nerds' mentioned by Mick are quite funny. The know all types amuse, the ones who sit tugging their beards with a faux expression of deep concentration and analysis on their faces, to the know all types ( some of them salesmen) who loudly and disdainfully declare 'You have a what?..I thought you said you liked music!!!?" Straight out of the classic Smith and Jones sketch..

But mostly, I'm still trying to weigh up whether to park up at the Travelodge, or in Bristol Centre, or even somewhere between. Disappointingly, it seems a bus from the Travelodge to the centre takes nearly and hour!

As I said above, I have a Blue Badge, which according to Bristol City Council entitles me to park all day for free in on street Pay and Display, but actually finding out where on street parking actually exists is not easy.

Can any locals name any streets or areas close to the show venue where such parking exists?
Side roads off Park Street are on street parking, but it’s quite steep!

I find it very strange that people pay to go to these shows. In my professional life, I attend (&exhibit at) many shows. I've never paid. Were a show to charge then I wouldn't go. Why would I pay when I'm tne potential customer? Do any of you show goers pay to visit a car showroom? Furniture shop? Etc,

Even if daft enough to pay, then you'll not hear any kit in any kind of a meaningful way. OK, you can see kit, but what's the point of that? If you're seriously interested in anything specific then go to a dealer, or arrange a home dem.

Then there's the very real chance to acquire the latest strain of Covid, Flu or any other contagious virus that's doing the rounds. Plus tne opportunity to enjoy rubbish food at inflated prices. Many that go these shows are, shall we say, a little older. Just at the age when they're more vulnerable. Having acquired an infection, then it's off home to generously spread it around your family and friends.

After having paid for all the above joys, visitors can then sit back and calculate the total cost, inc travel, meals etc. And people moan about music subscripion services at £100pa? Risible.

Its a fantastic opportunity to chat to manufacturers and just feel the stuff and get a small flavour of whats available

There is a risk of covid , flu and measles wherever you go !!

I remember years ago chatting to the puritan guy on his stall when he first started and wondering how he would get on, now hes everywhere

I find it very strange that people pay to go to these shows. In my professional life, I attend (&exhibit at) many shows. I've never paid. Were a show to charge then I wouldn't go. Why would I pay when I'm tne potential customer? Do any of you show goers pay to visit a car showroom? Furniture shop? Etc,

Even if daft enough to pay, then you'll not hear any kit in any kind of a meaningful way. OK, you can see kit, but what's the point of that? If you're seriously interested in anything specific then go to a dealer, or arrange a home dem.

Then there's the very real chance to acquire the latest strain of Covid, Flu or any other contagious virus that's doing the rounds. Plus tne opportunity to enjoy rubbish food at inflated prices. Many that go these shows are, shall we say, a little older. Just at the age when they're more vulnerable. Having acquired an infection, then it's off home to generously spread it around your family and friends.

After having paid for all the above joys, visitors can then sit back and calculate the total cost, inc travel, meals etc. And people moan about music subscripion services at £100pa? Risible.
The only hi-fi 'show' I regularly try and get to is Audiojumble. I potter round ogling the lovely kit, get to suck my teeth a bit and tut at some of the prices, have a rummage for old records/valves/interesting knobs, have a bit of a chat with folk, splash out on a cup of tea and a slice of cake. It's just a nice day out and I'm very happy to pay a fiver or whatever for entry. Plus these shows are invariably a magnet for hot babes.

These exhibitions ought to be banned by the society of prevention of cruelty to salespeople. These poor devils have to stand there and have the same repetitive conversations and questions thrown at them with hordes of non stop old men who forget what they were told the moment they walk out of the overcrowded, noisy and germ ridden room.

I know a lot of them loose their voice or have a sore throat due to the endless discussions they are forced to endure with hordes of "potential clients". This is done in the knowledge that even after visiting 200 rooms they just may buy something from one room and nothing from the rest.

The only worthwhile day from the trades point of view is the Trades day itself which is at least serious The public day is pure torture with very little to show for it.

What a horrible way to earn a living.

Or, we can all stay home.

These exhibitions ought to be banned by the society of prevention of cruelty to salespeople. These poor devils have to stand there and have the same repetitive conversations and questions thrown at them with hordes of non stop old men who forget what they were told the moment they walk out of the overcrowded, noisy and germ ridden room.

I know a lot of them loose their voice or have a sore throat due to the endless discussions they are forced to endure with hordes of "potential clients". This is done in the knowledge that even after visiting 200 rooms they just may buy something from one room and nothing from the rest.

The only worthwhile day from the trades point of view is the Trades day itself which is at least serious The public day is pure torture with very little to show for it.

😁

The only hi-fi 'show' I regularly try and get to is Audiojumble. I potter round ogling the lovely kit, get to suck my teeth a bit and tut at some of the prices, have a rummage for old records/valves/interesting knobs, have a bit of a chat with folk, splash out on a cup of tea and a slice of cake. It's just a nice day out and I'm very happy to pay a fiver or whatever for entry. Plus these shows are invariably a magnet for hot babes.
I liked going to the one in Tonbridge, Kent until they wanted £20 to get in last time

I enjoyed being a salesperson at Bristol last year, and doing what I thought was an interesting a/b demonstration, which most people don't often get the chance to hear, between two topical decks.

Sharing the experience of listening with like-minded people who care as much as I do, both about music and about how it is reproduced, is a lot of fun. That most of the visitors would not look all that great in a tight skirt, excepting the few ladies of course, is of no importance to me. I go to listen and enjoy. And to spruce up my covid immunity, naturally.

I look forward to seeing the intrepid there this year. I'm hoping to put on a demonstration as interesting as last year's.

Fishies should wear T shirts

blob
At work we have a bundle of Fish stickers (Bream or something) I was going to suggest to take along at a previous show & leave them at the reception for fishies to pick up. Alas, however I forgot to pick them up from work so never saw the light of day... :(😅

About a year ago, talking to a dealer who had just returned from three days "selling" at a show, he had made quite a chunk of sales. His complaint wasn't the show itself, but the preparation work before the show.

Going on Friday.
Saints at home on Saturday.
DB’s birthday on Sunda.

busy weekend, thankfully I’m retired!

advertisement

Back